The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-04-2024, 05:18 AM
Charter Member

This is another kind of etiquette;

I stopped going to one jam group because of two guys who would show up and it seemed like they hadn't picked up their guitar since the last time they were there. At my group we had a couple people come a couple of times and it was like they were looking up songs on their phones and trying them for the first time.

At my group I had to stand up at the end and tell everyone that this isn't the place to learn a song for the first time. We do not expect virtuosity but we do expect you to have a good grasp on the songs that you are leading. If you don't have a song prepared everyone is welcome to follow along.

This caused a big brush up on our email and a few people never came back including the two who were causing the problem.

Everyone makes mistakes and everyone just blows it once in a while, but do everyone a favor and come to the group prepared.
Old 04-04-2024, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
This is another kind of etiquette;

I stopped going to one jam group because of two guys who would show up and it seemed like they hadn't picked up their guitar since the last time they were there. At my group we had a couple people come a couple of times and it was like they were looking up songs on their phones and trying them for the first time.

At my group I had to stand up at the end and tell everyone that this isn't the place to learn a song for the first time. We do not expect virtuosity but we do expect you to have a good grasp on the songs that you are leading. If you don't have a song prepared everyone is welcome to follow along.

This caused a big brush up on our email and a few people never came back including the two who were causing the problem.

Everyone makes mistakes and everyone just blows it once in a while, but do everyone a favor and come to the group prepared.
I guess we like to feel that we are all inclusive and welcoming, but a lot of this can be avoided by not opening the doors wide and inviting everyone and anyone off the street to come on in. Attendance by invitation does a good job of keeping the jam on track. Just saying.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 04-04-2024, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

If your group meets in most public places like a library or town meeting room, you do have to be all inclusive. Also, I do like being open to anyone. When I went to my first jam group, I didn't know anything and they were so encouraging and helpful that I'd like to be the same way. I just have to make it my responsibility to keep newcomers in line.

Here's another problem area; singers. Some people can sing but they don't play an instrument. And although they can really belt it out, they don't know what key they are in or have the slightest idea about timing. They are fun because they really can belt it out, which most of us can't do. But they are disruptive because someone has to take them in line and teach them what the heck is going on. I'm not good enough to do that. Luckily others have stepped up to do the job.
Old 04-04-2024, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I know it's easy to look up on other players and not understand the need to "read something while they play", but life doesn't work like that.
Makes sense, but I can't read and play at the same time. Text is just distracting.

So I use song sheets to practice, but I never use them to perform. It'd drive me carzy. In a bad way.
Old 04-04-2024, 01:28 PM

Quote:
The worst is when people hand out song sheets to everyone there. It stops every and you lose your momentum. Then everyone is just reading their sheet and not paying attention to the leader. Then at the end, you've got all these song sheets that nobody wants that just go in the recycling.
And I can never read them. I've tried. How do you hold a guitar and a sheet of paper at the same time?

Grr. For me, it's a formula for breakdown.
Old 04-04-2024, 01:31 PM

Quote:
If your group meets in most public places like a library or town meeting room, you do have to be all inclusive. Also, I do like being open to anyone. When I went to my first jam group, I didn't know anything and they were so encouraging and helpful that I'd like to be the same way. I just have to make it my responsibility to keep newcomers in line.

Here's another problem area; singers. Some people can sing but they don't play an instrument. And although they can really belt it out, they don't know what key they are in or have the slightest idea about timing. They are fun because they really can belt it out, which most of us can't do. But they are disruptive because someone has to take them in line and teach them what the heck is going on. I'm not good enough to do that. Luckily others have stepped up to do the job.
Yup. Singers are like unexpected visitors who don't have the key and come in at the wrong time.
Old 04-04-2024, 03:52 PM

I like when the 'rules' are spelled out ahead of time. Here's is an example from one which I attend.
-----------------
Musician's Choice Open Circle Format Acoustic Jam
All are welcome to sing & play along – ( taking care not to over-power the leader )
Only musicians with prepared tunes can choose and lead the songs. We don't take requests from non-players.
We are not a "singing circle". We are not a poetry group. We are not a theater group. We want to keep the instruments humming all night long!
If you tell a long story with your song, it limits the time everyone has to play. So very short stories only, please .... if you must tell one at all !!!
It is a general policy here that people can join both musically and vocally unless the leader asks them specifically not to.
We don't need sing alongs all night - but it's fun for all when you mix familiar tunes in with your selections.
We are encouraging of beginners to the extent that they work to prepare a song for presentation - the "practicing" happens at home.
We are your "stage" and your " audience" ! Don't worry about mistakes - even the most polished musicians make them. Just keep playing through.
And finally - if we have a huge group - be kind - please don't sing all 17 verses of that ballad - pick your favorite 3 or 4 verses on those nights
Pick your song BEFORE it's your turn ! Or pass until you have it. We'll come right back to you so you won't miss a turn.
Oh yes, one more thing .... TUNE
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 04-05-2024, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from Brooklyn View Post
I like when the 'rules' are spelled out ahead of time. Here's is an example from one which I attend.
-----------------
Musician's Choice Open Circle Format Acoustic Jam
All are welcome to sing & play along – ( taking care not to over-power the leader )
Only musicians with prepared tunes can choose and lead the songs. We don't take requests from non-players.
We are not a "singing circle". We are not a poetry group. We are not a theater group. We want to keep the instruments humming all night long!
If you tell a long story with your song, it limits the time everyone has to play. So very short stories only, please .... if you must tell one at all !!!
It is a general policy here that people can join both musically and vocally unless the leader asks them specifically not to.
We don't need sing alongs all night - but it's fun for all when you mix familiar tunes in with your selections.
We are encouraging of beginners to the extent that they work to prepare a song for presentation - the "practicing" happens at home.
We are your "stage" and your " audience" ! Don't worry about mistakes - even the most polished musicians make them. Just keep playing through.
And finally - if we have a huge group - be kind - please don't sing all 17 verses of that ballad - pick your favorite 3 or 4 verses on those nights
Pick your song BEFORE it's your turn ! Or pass until you have it. We'll come right back to you so you won't miss a turn.
Oh yes, one more thing .... TUNE
That's a lot of rules. Does everyone have to march in single file and salute?

My only rules are; don't sing anything offensive, and try to have fun.
Old 04-05-2024, 03:45 PM

Quote:
That's a lot of rules. Does everyone have to march in single file and salute?

My only rules are; don't sing anything offensive, and try to have fun.
Not really. It basically says show up ready to play.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 04-05-2024, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
I guess we like to feel that we are all inclusive and welcoming, but a lot of this can be avoided by not opening the doors wide and inviting everyone and anyone off the street to come on in. Attendance by invitation does a good job of keeping the jam on track. Just saying.
Agreed. The group I’m a part of has an open jam a couple of times a month, which has a lot of beginners at it, but everybody knows that and expects it so its not an issue - its very welcoming and encouraging for everyone.

If you’re a more experienced player and you show up to the open jam a few times and vibe well with others, then you can get an invite to the other weekly jams, which have a lot of really excellent players at them.

I really like the way this system works.

-Mike
Old 04-06-2024, 06:05 AM

Every name-brand act you see nowadays has a little thing called a “confidence monitor” someplace unobtrusive, often disguised as a floor wedge, or if you’re Taylor Swift, projected on screens—that’s not just so the fans can sing along…

Filk Legend Michael Loncore admits to occasionally drying up on lyrics, which he covers by telling a story. so one time he had a few friends make up cue cards for him.

Went great for the first two songs. Third song the card changed, “Stop and tell that story about….”

Last edited by cdkrugjr; 04-08-2024 at 07:44 AM.
Old 04-06-2024, 06:38 AM

never had any interest in the jam/circle click but spent 50 years working with player friends in bands and never had etiquette problems as we were all on the same page...it'd be a hard row to hoe melding players coming from so many directions...good luck!
Old 04-06-2024, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Here's another etiquette issue;

How fast do you move the circle along. I admit to being too lax and sometimes we can waste time between songs. I went back to my old friend's jam where I hadn't been since before covid and just like I remembered it, when you finish he want's the next person introducing their song.

How about you or the person in charge where you play?
Old 04-06-2024, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Here's another etiquette issue;

How fast do you move the circle along. I admit to being too lax and sometimes we can waste time between songs. I went back to my old friend's jam where I hadn't been since before covid and just like I remembered it, when you finish he want's the next person introducing their song.

How about you or the person in charge where you play?
The jams I attend (3 to 4 per week, with some player overlap between them) are mostly music but also catching up and socializing. We just let it flow. But we all know each other and are pretty comfortable joking and b.s.-ing. If someone feels we need to get on to the next song they're not shy about suggesting we do so.

Steve Forbert - As We Live and Breathe
Old 04-07-2024, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
The jams I attend (3 to 4 per week, with some player overlap between them) are mostly music but also catching up and socializing. We just let it flow. But we all know each other and are pretty comfortable joking and b.s.-ing. If someone feels we need to get on to the next song they're not shy about suggesting we do so.
That describes our jam. We don't exclude anyone, but we don't advertise. It is a dozen or so people, maybe a half dozen show up at any given jam and everyone knows everyone and their kids. It is a close knit group. We socialize outside the jam. The start time is a suggestion and we play until we feel like going home. It is very unstructured. Lots of socializing, but if you want people to quit talking, you just start playing a song and everyone else will shut up and play along.

Another jam just started up a few months ago in the same area once a month in the evening. It is open and advertised. So far it is mostly the people in our jam showing up and we kind of set the vibe. I suppose if more people show up that will change. That one has a start and finish time.

I'm not into drama. If I'm going to play with people they need to be like minded, easy to get along with and not come in with an agenda. I don't want to sound snarky, but I'm too old to play music with people I don't get along well with.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/

Last edited by rllink; 04-07-2024 at 02:00 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write