The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-09-2020, 12:36 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Default Best guitar tech in Oklahoma City area?

My longtime tech retired on me and moved out of state. So I’m looking for someone to do custom setups, nut and saddle upgrades, etc. I’ve had good experiences with Ron (Honest Ron’s Guitars) but last I checked he’s only open a few days a week and always seems to have a backup. I’ve had mix results with OKC’s GC, which seems to have a different tech every time I call.

So any other suggestions?

Old 08-09-2020, 01:54 PM

I don’t know anyone in okc. But if you want to venture to Tulsa there are some really good people over here. Seth Lee Jones is very good. He does just about anything you could possible need. Setups, refrets, vintage restoration. Not to mention he builds his own line of electrics and is a killer good player. The people at GTS (Guitar Technical Services) are very good as well. I would trust either of them with any work I needed done on any value of instruments.
Old 08-09-2020, 02:06 PM

Norman Music in Norman is good. They have a PLEK machine and know how to use it. Old school family owned shop. Great place.

Edmond Music in Edmond is also an old, family owned shop. They are a Martin dealer and a Gibson 5 star dealer. I have bought a couple of guitars from them and their tech set them up. I thought he did a good job. That was 5 years or more ago, so I don't know if the same guy is there still.

There was a shop just north of Guitar Center on the west side of May Ave in a strip center. I was only in there once, but they had some Collings guitars, if I am remembering correctly. No experience with them working on stuff, though.

I would probably go to Norman, if it isn't too far south for you.
Old 08-09-2020, 03:22 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousdave84 View Post
I don’t know anyone in okc. But if you want to venture to Tulsa there are some really good people over here. Seth Lee Jones is very good. He does just about anything you could possible need. Setups, refrets, vintage restoration. Not to mention he builds his own line of electrics and is a killer good player. The people at GTS (Guitar Technical Services) are very good as well. I would trust either of them with any work I needed done on any value of instruments.
Good idea. It’s only about 20 mins farther from me than OKC. GTS looks promising. Thanks!

Old 08-09-2020, 03:35 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco gringo View Post
Norman Music in Norman is good. They have a PLEK machine and know how to use it. Old school family owned shop. Great place.

Edmond Music in Edmond is also an old, family owned shop. They are a Martin dealer and a Gibson 5 star dealer. I have bought a couple of guitars from them and their tech set them up. I thought he did a good job. That was 5 years or more ago, so I don't know if the same guy is there still.

There was a shop just north of Guitar Center on the west side of May Ave in a strip center. I was only in there once, but they had some Collings guitars, if I am remembering correctly. No experience with them working on stuff, though.

Norman Music sound like a good option. The place on May Ave. is Ron’s. Thanks!

Old 08-09-2020, 04:34 PM

Roy,

There is a guy in south OKC...can’t think of his name off hand, but my guitar playing friends swear by his setup abilities. I’ll do some digging and get back to you.

OKC Music and Sound was on May (they were a Collings dealer) but they have closed up shop this year.

Edit: Mark Quenzer is the guy. He works at Lunar Music in Moore. Mad props from my friends here in the city, though I haven’t had to get any work done since moving here, so that’s second hand. But the dudes that recommend him are legit.
Old 08-09-2020, 04:38 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
Roy,

There is a guy in south OKC...can’t think of his name off hand, but my guitar playing friends swear by his setup abilities. I’ll do some digging and get back to you.

OKC Music and Sound was on May (they were a Collings dealer) but they have closed up shop this year.
Cool. Thanks!

Never heard of OKC Music. Just knew Ron’s was on May Ave.

Old 08-09-2020, 04:49 PM

I built a Tele out of a body and neck kit and parts. I took it to the guy at Norman and he PLEK'd it. It may be my best playing electric. The owner is the guy that PLEK's the guitars. I would definitely take another guitar there.
Old 08-09-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Cool. Thanks!

Never heard of OKC Music. Just knew Ron’s was on May Ave.
Roy, I added the info for the tech in my original post above.
Old 08-09-2020, 05:19 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
Roy, I added the info for the tech in my original post above.
Got it.

Old 08-09-2020, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Good idea. It’s only about 20 mins farther from me than OKC. GTS looks promising. Thanks!
GTS is real good, they may have a long turn around time right now, but I can’t confirm that. Seth can usually turn reasonably quick depending on what you need. His Instagram page has a lot of the cool repair work he has done. They both regularly work on guitars that are in excess of 10k in value.
Old 08-21-2020, 03:19 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco gringo View Post

I ended up taking my new J-45 to Edmond Music, which was recommended by Gibson CS. The high e had a shrill, sitar-like tone when not fretted. Obvious nut slot issue. Gibson was going to cover the fix under warranty and recommended Edmond Music...only to realize later it’s a dealer but not an authorized repair shop.

I stuck with Edmond anyway because they had a good tech and going the warranty route at a different shop was going to take a week or two. Edmond installed a new bone nut and bone saddle I got from Bob C. and then set the guitar up to my specs for only $100. Got it done in less than a week. Pretty much nailed the setup. I just gave the TR a quarter-turn tweak for a little less relief and she’s good to go.

The tech they have now has only been there for a month or so. But he’s been in the biz quite awhile. Moved to Edmond Music after the owner of his previous shop retired and closed it down. He’s a good guy and knows his stuff. Probably gonna be my new go-to guy...

Old 08-21-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:
I ended up taking my new J-45 to Edmond Music, which was recommended by Gibson CS. The high e had a shrill, sitar-like tone when not fretted. Obvious nut slot issue. Gibson was going to cover the fix under warranty and recommended Edmond Music...only to realize later it’s a dealer but not an authorized repair shop.

I stuck with Edmond anyway because they had a good tech and going the warranty route at a different shop was going to take a week or two. Edmond installed a new bone nut and bone saddle I got from Bob C. and then set the guitar up to my specs for only $100. Got it done in less than a week. Pretty much nailed the setup. I just gave the TR a quarter-turn tweak for a little less relief and she’s good to go.

The tech they have now has only been there for a month or so. But he’s been in the biz quite awhile. Moved to Edmond Music after the owner of his previous shop retired and closed it down. He’s a good guy and knows his stuff. Probably gonna be my new go-to guy...
Nice! Always good to find a guy you can go to.

I love that store. It is an old style, family owned music store that has been in business a long, long time, maybe since the 40's. Those kind of stores aren't as common as they used to be. Plus, they are a Gibson 5 star dealer. I haven't been in there in several years, but last time I was there, they had a significant inventory of Gibson acoustics, one of which ended my months long J45 search.

The guys in Norman are great, too. I built a telecaster out of parts and they did the fret work for me on their PLEK machine. Might be the best playing electric I own. They are also family owned, and I think they have been there since the 60s.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion