The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-08-2020, 02:59 PM

Default Harmony Sovereign H6561 Korean Made vs. H1260 USA Sovereign

I played an early 70's Korean made Sovereign the other day - and H6561. It's the Korean version of the H1260. I was skeptical because you hear so many positives about the H1260, but people kick the early 70s Korean models to the curb.

All that said, I was pleasantly shocked at the tone. Original plastic nut and saddle, and an added "Dove" type pickguard, but it was impressive. I've read some say the early Korean models were the exact same specs as the USA models. Is that a fact? This one was X-braced. Anyone play one of these - I've seen one on here in a thread I'll link below - Silly Moustache's pal playing the same H6561. Wondering if the top was solid spruce?

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/....php?p=6259613

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan

Last edited by Everton FC; 08-08-2020 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-08-2020, 06:21 PM

I did not know that was a Korean made verdion
Old 08-08-2020, 06:56 PM

I am going to guess you have not spent a lot of time with Chicago-made Harmonys. These were a staple for more than a few of us coming of musical age in the 1960s. I still keep five around.

But what you played was actually a H6561A which was the offshore version of the model Harmony came out with just a few years before going belly up. It has been a long time since I have gotten my hands on on of the offshore Sovereigns but my memory is that the model was built with solid wood. As to sound, while the mid and trebles were fine the low end was just downright anemic leaving you asking "where's the bass." And while there are only two kinds of US Harmonys out there, those that have had neck resets and those that need one, the necks on the Korean-built versions had a reputation for going out of whack very quickly.

Here are my three Sovereigns ranging from the late-1950s to the late-1960s two of which now sport pin bridges.

Last edited by zombywoof; 08-08-2020 at 07:07 PM.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdmind View Post
I did not know that was a Korean made verdion
When Harmony closed its doors in 1975 they auctioned off all their machinery and assets and then simply sold off their name. So the imported versions had little in common with the earlier guitars. The easiest way to tell you have an offshore-made Harmony is it will say "est. 1892" on the headstock.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
I am going to guess you have not spent a lot of time with Chicago-made Harmonys. These were a staple for more than a few of us coming of musical age in the 1960s. I still keep five around.

But what you played was actually a H6561A which was the offshore version of the model Harmony came out with just a few years before going belly up. It has been a long time since I have gotten my hands on on of the offshore Sovereigns but my memory is that the model was built with solid wood. As to sound, while the mid and trebles were fine the low end was just downright anemic leaving you asking "where's the bass." And while there are only two kinds of US Harmonys out there, those that have had neck resets and those that need one, the necks on the Korean-built versions had a reputation for going out of whack very quickly.

Here are my three Sovereigns ranging from the late-1950s to the late-1960s two of which now sport pin bridges.

I've had a 1203 before. So no novice!

I know the 6561is an offshore model. It looks to be solid top, at least. I was actually surprised by the bass. The action as good - my straight-edge sunk about 1mm (maybe) below the top of the bridge, when I ran stover the fret board. I'd say the action was about 3.5/32nds, at the low E. Nothing crazy.

My "thought" was the specs - how much did the Korean factories try and stay "true" to the specs of the 1260s, on these? Apparently, not much.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Old 08-09-2020, 09:16 AM

As I said, if I recall right, the Korean-made version was built with all solid wood. But the reason I assumed you were a "novice" is that there is no argument that the Korean-made versions were constructed differently than the Chicago-made guitars and you would be hard pressed to find any who would tell you there was not a distinct difference in sound. You have to remember that the Harmony brand was purchased in 1978 not by a guitar builder but by the International Musical Corporation which was a distributor which turned to Samick to build the new versions. There was no intention of replicating old specs. Like Epiphones of the 1970s, the new Harmonys were more than likely based on guitars already in production.
Old 08-09-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
As I said, if I recall right, the Korean-made version was built with all solid wood. But the reason I assumed you were a "novice" is that there is no argument that the Korean-made versions were constructed differently than the Chicago-made guitars and you would be hard pressed to find any who would tell you there was not a distinct difference in sound. You have to remember that the Harmony brand was purchased in 1978 not by a guitar builder but by the International Musical Corporation which was a distributor which turned to Samick to build the new versions. There was no intention of replicating old specs. Like Epiphones of the 1970s, the new Harmonys were more than likely based on guitars already in production.
I was under the impression some of the Asian models were made pre-'75? Is this simply not "fact"?

I will say, this H6561 did sound good. Regardless!

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Old 08-09-2020, 05:02 PM

I feel if you like a guitar and it makes you happy -why get picky -
not exspensive guitars -i say go for it .
My older yammie 12 string from taiwan ( 1971 ) is still my main 12 string -
for the 120 bucks i paid for it in 1971 -it is stellar !
Old 08-09-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everton FC View Post
I was under the impression some of the Asian models were made pre-'75? Is this simply not "fact"?

I will say, this H6561 did sound good. Regardless!
The question posed is were the Asian built Harmonys true to the specs of the Chicago built instruments to which the answer is no.

There was a line of Bicentennial Instruments which were introduced at NAMM in 1976. They were a limited edition of 1776 instruments and originally sold as a guitar and banjo set. Although generically credited to Harmony, the name does not appear on them. What does appear is the name Regal which had been bought by Harmony in the mid-1950s. I do not have clue though who made them or where they were made.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
The question posed is were the Asian built Harmonys true to the specs of the Chicago built instruments to which the answer is no.

There was a line of Bicentennial Instruments which were introduced at NAMM in 1976. They were a limited edition of 1776 instruments and originally sold as a guitar and banjo set. Although generically credited to Harmony, the name does not appear on them. What does appear is the name Regal which had been bought by Harmony in the mid-1950s. I do not have clue though who made them or where they were made.
Good info throughout the thread, Zomby! Much thanks!!

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1930s Harmony Mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion