The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-07-2020, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Default Anyone add a standalone bottom strap button to their acoustic?

Moving this from the bottom summary to the top - only looking for opinions on the following: SO, long story short, has anyone installed a second, standalone bottom strap button on their guitar? If so, where did you install it? Any regrets? Would you do it again? Photos would be great if you have them!

Here's the rest of the story.

I have a bit of a dilemma here. I have a wonderful Martin D-1 custom guitar that I adore. This is the first guitar I've owned (out of some 35 over the past 8 years) that I honestly can't imagine I'll ever sell. As such I made the decision shortly after buying it to make modifications to it like adding a front strap button and having the bottom button drilled out for a pickup system. So that 'keep it stock' mentality has been broken.

When I'm playing plugged in I'm generally confident in the guitar strap but when not I worry about the strap slipping off and the guitar crashing to the floor. It's happened a few times but I've always caught it. I like using strap locks and do so on my Cole Clark guitars which have the jack located offset from the bottom strap button. I tried the little jack extender that has a convenient strap button away from the input jack but it does not work with my preferred strap lock system.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Moving this from the bottom summary to the top - only looking for opinions on the following: SO, long story short, has anyone installed a second, standalone bottom strap button on their guitar? If so, where did you install it? Any regrets? Would you do it again? Photos would be great if you have them!

Here's the rest of the story.

I have a bit of a dilemma here. I have a wonderful Martin D-1 custom guitar that I adore. This is the first guitar I've owned (out of some 35 over the past 8 years) that I honestly can't imagine I'll ever sell. As such I made the decision shortly after buying it to make modifications to it like adding a front strap button and having the bottom button drilled out for a pickup system. So that 'keep it stock' mentality has been broken.

When I'm playing plugged in I'm generally confident in the guitar strap but when not I worry about the strap slipping off and the guitar crashing to the floor. It's happened a few times but I've always caught it. I like using strap locks and do so on my Cole Clark guitars which have the jack located offset from the bottom strap button. I tried the little jack extender that has a convenient strap button away from the input jack but it does not work with my preferred strap lock system.
I think you have a viable attitude about setting up your guitar to best suit your needs.

Here's my setup with an upper output jack location and the strap button at the conventional location. The strap button is a recessed Dunlop Strap-loc socket, but a standard strap button of any type is obviously OK. I have straps equipped with the strap loc ends and can take them off or add them instantly and be fully confident that the guitar will not disconnect from the strap. I also have a recessed strap socket embedded in the neck heel, so I'm committed to the hardware.

I don't worry about anyone else down the line not liking them, as I've never met anyone who didn't love the strap attachment after they try one of my guitars out. Anyone who has an objection is certainly free to look at one of the other gazillion guitars out there!

Old 08-07-2020, 10:27 AM

Never installed one myself, did buy a guitar once where someone had put one on the bottom left corner (low E side). It wasn't done very well. Not a great spot for me, it always felt like it put the body too low and at an angle. I no longer have it, or a picture, sorry.

Maybe (definitely) a dumb idea, but while you figure it out, why not just cut the jack off an old junk cable as insurance against slipping when not plugged in? Drill and epoxy a wood round to the cut end so it keeps the strap on and is easy to insert and remove.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the reply and photo, Rudy. I like that recessed type strap button. Neat. I used to use those Dunlop strap locks but not a fan of the way they attach to the straps - very hard to get on the strap side if you use thick leather straps which is why I went to a different style.

It might be a moot point now though. I just checked to see if the MusicNomad Acousti-Lok strap adapter fits my K&K DHS jack and it does so I went ahead installed that and then ordered the Schaller strap locks to go with that. While not my preferred system, it's similar enough and will get me to where I need to be without the need to drill another hole.

I'll post an update in a few days when I get them in and installed. But in the meantime I'm happy to see/hear from others that have installed a second strap button on their guitars.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfinger McGee View Post
Maybe (definitely) a dumb idea, but while you figure it out, why not just cut the jack off an old junk cable as insurance against slipping when not plugged in? Drill and epoxy a wood round to the cut end so it keeps the strap on and is easy to insert and remove.
Not a dumb idea at all and one I thought of. Actually, I use a small wireless system when I plug in so oftentimes I would just plug that in even then not amplifying. The bigger issue is the top end. If that end slips off and you're not ready it's a one-way ticket for the headstock to crash to the floor and snap off. I get chills just thinking about that happening!!!
Old 08-07-2020, 11:41 AM

Are you using the Acousti-lok that has the removable button? You can replace it with any other strap lock system assuming you have the correct screw.
Old 08-09-2020, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by letterk View Post
Are you using the Acousti-lok that has the removable button? You can replace it with any other strap lock system assuming you have the correct screw.
Lol - WOW, what an IDIOT! (Me, not you!!) I didn't even realize this button could be removed. My preferred strap buttons and strap locks (Dimarzio) are very low profile so the Acousti-lok screw button cap stuck out too far but with some very judicious grinding and filing I was able to get the it to seat down far enough to work. A little touch up with a black Sharpie and no one will ever know the difference. Now I can use my preferred strap locks and send the ones due in today back!

This is why I love AGF. We take care of each other. Thanks for the tip.
Old 08-09-2020, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Photos

Last edited by Methos1979; 08-09-2020 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-09-2020, 03:18 PM

Added a straplock in line with the existing jack/pin on my Taylor 310ce.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 08-09-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Photos

You may have to reset your jack depth slightly to allow the jack to sit flush with the outer lip of the strap adapter. It looks like it is recessed just a bit, and that's often just enough to keep the 1/4" plug from firmly snapping in to make reliable electrical contact. I often advise folks who have installed jacks and can't get their pickup to work. It's a very common installation error. If you have any problem with your connection you'll know what to check.
Old 08-09-2020, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
You may have to reset your jack depth slightly to allow the jack to sit flush with the outer lip of the strap adapter. It looks like it is recessed just a bit, and that's often just enough to keep the 1/4" plug from firmly snapping in to make reliable electrical contact. I often advise folks who have installed jacks and can't get their pickup to work. It's a very common installation error. If you have any problem with your connection you'll know what to check.
Good point. I haven't tried it out yet. I rarely amplify this guitar these days since acquiring the Edwina. I suppose I should get it out. Another great tip.
Old 08-09-2020, 04:44 PM

I'm using this: https://www.daddario.com/products/ac...tic-jack-lock/

15 bucks. It would never occur to me to drill a second hole for a separate strap button, because I think the solution should be to securely attach the strap to the endpin jack.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 08-09-2020, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Good point. I haven't tried it out yet. I rarely amplify this guitar these days since acquiring the Edwina. I suppose I should get it out. Another great tip.
Just tested and it's working but I can also tell it's just barely hitting it. I'll adjust at the next string change.
Old 08-09-2020, 05:57 PM

My latest guitars all get one (straplocks) inline with the jack plug, but under it (closer to the back of the guitar). No regrets. Aside from when I put my strap on, or plug in I never see it. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:36 AM
Charter Member

the Gibson LG2 i recently setup had the standard LR Baggs pickup and that endjack piece has a very small thin area to attach a strap. and, knowing this guitar was going to be used almost daily and sometimes in a busy atmosphere, i used Schaller S locks(the newest version). I used the musicnomad acousti-lok that simply screwed on to the endpiece of the endjack. then i cut and reshaped the endpiece of the strap so that it did not cover the plugin area for the jack.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...c-output-jacks

Last edited by darylcrisp; 08-10-2020 at 02:44 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion