The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: What do you prefer?
Martin 185 62.29%
Taylor 85 28.62%
Not a fan of either 27 9.09%
Voters: 297. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2020, 08:54 AM

I like several models from both companies. I own neither because I find them pricey (for me). I do foresee a Martin 000-10e Road Series in my future though.

I didn't check a box because I don't prefer one over the other or dislike either.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 07-28-2020, 09:13 AM
Guitar Gourmet

All my young life I wanted to own a Martin. In my neck of the woods, Martins were the gold standard and it seemed that a Martin dropped out of the sky to each person who achieved a certain level of proficiency... only, one never showed up for me. When I was forty three, Amy Grant came into my studio with her Taylor 912ce and it blew my mind. The craftsmanship was so fine and that tiny guitar filled the room. On my next day off I went down to a local guitar store and played through all the Martins and Taylors in their high-end guitar room. Of all the twenty to third guitars I played, one guitar stuck out to me as really supporting my finger plucked style, and it was a Taylor. That was twenty years ago and for some reason ever since, whenever I've gone out to plunk down my pesos it has been for a Taylor.

And the funny thing is that I still want a Martin. I get the feeling that they would be better strummers than Taylors. In my experience, Taylors tend to have better individual-string definition but Martins blend the strings better into chords.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-28-2020, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

I have had several of both. Both make great guitars.

Taylors=Generally great off the rack. Very playable. A little bright.
Martins=Hit and miss off the rack. Need to do more setup work. Good ones have great depth of sound. To me, they sound like hundreds of records I grew up with.

I think it's a "horses for courses" thing. Right now, I am doing some stuff that the Martin sound fits better. So, I have 2 Martins.

However, I regularly see Taylors I would love to have, and have no doubt I will own another Taylor (or several) over the years.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:21 AM

Started off with Martin (once had four) but they did not treat me well with two neck resets that were needed on fairly young guitars. Then I changed to Taylor for the superior build quality and playable necks (up to nine at one point) but now most of those are gone too. No expectations of buying any more Taylor guitars, between V-bracing and ES2 pickups. I'm just over the "big brand name syndrome". What is important to me is a good sounding, good playing guitar regardless of the price point, not the logo. These days I am mostly into carbon fiber to stop worrying about humidity and temperature.

No where is my popcorn bowl? This could get interesting.......
Old 07-28-2020, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Although I have determined that I'm more of a "Martin guy" than anything else...I have had, and played several Taylor guitars that were pretty great as well. Playability on the Taylors has few equals, since the neck shape is probably one of the best if not the best that I've ever experienced. I have to give them kudos as well for being so easy to maintain...hardly ever needing a neck adjustment or reset. I think the reasons why I prefer Martin guitars has to do with the tone more than anything else. The Taylors are still a little bit "bright" for me, whereas I prefer a bit more the bass focused tone of most Martin guitars.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:42 AM

I was really smitten with my Taylor 810 (revoiced by Andy), but really wanted a D28, too. I mean, gotta have both Taylor and Martin rosewood Dreds, right??

I think I've had the D28 long enough now to say: Martin has won me over.

Still really love the Taylor, but the Martin has more horsepower and soul.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:47 AM

I prefer Gibson. I'd really love to have a Collings too.
Old 07-28-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Started off with Martin (once had four) but they did not treat me well with two neck resets that were needed on fairly young guitars.
Personally I’ve become enamored of the Martin OMs, but this kind of comment scares me a little - also since the warranty seemingly wouldn’t cover a reset for very long. That and often needing a setup from the factory is disappointing. I still want a Martin though
Old 07-28-2020, 10:09 AM

I like Martin and Taylor sound about equally.

BUT I find Taylors feel cramped to me
Old 07-28-2020, 10:37 AM

I have 1 Martin, and 2 Taylors, so naturally, I prefer Martin! Let me explain.

As a pure acoustic instrument, I prefer Martins in general for the tone and the "thump" against my chest. I have a D-16RGT that I would pick if I could only keep one of mine. However, for playing 3 or 4 hour gigs in an acoustic duo, my Taylor 214ce-DLX has the advantage of a more flexible onboard pickup, a (slightly) more comfortable neck, a smaller body and a cutaway that comes in handy on a few tunes. I can go into almost any PA situation and just plug in without worrying about DI boxes, preamps, EQ pedals, so it is the guitar I gig with the most.

I also have a Taylor GS Mini that is a couch and "throw in the backseat of the car" guitar, soundwise it doesn't really compete with my other two.
Old 07-28-2020, 10:41 AM

Taylor. I have not owned a Martin personally.

I thought seriously about making the Martin choice when I looked at going with my first higher-level guitar after purchasing a new Ovation Balladeer and playing it as my first "serious" acoustic somewhere around 35 years ago.

I changed my mind when I went to my local Martin dealer and read the hang tag explaining that if the neck bowed forward to change to light gauge stings and conversely if the neck backbowed to put heavy gauge strings on it.

I made the choice to purchase a few books and build my own instead.

I've played many Martins over the years and the dreads mostly sounded muffled to me. A couple of my friends had Martins that I felt didn't live up to the name. One of them was a dread that had the bridge most obviously out of place. Another friend bought a new Martin Renbourn that was a beautiful guitar but had a neck that was set incorrectly. He added a very tall saddle to make it playable. You can't make a person take something back for warranty work, though.

There are obviously a LOT of great Martins out there, so I do take that into consideration. The OP asked WHY, so that's my personal reasons for purchasing a Taylor 322 when I wanted a good mahogany topped guitar without the need to build one.
Old 07-28-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadWithNames View Post
Personally I’ve become enamored of the Martin OMs, but this kind of comment scares me a little - also since the warranty seemingly wouldn’t cover a reset for very long. That and often needing a setup from the factory is disappointing. I still want a Martin though
The appeal of that long heritage is understandable, as is THAT tone. It is not my intent to trash Martin..... I'm just reporting that I had a 50% failure rate of guitars that were bought new and well cared for. Two of the four needed neck resets in their first 1-4 years. You could also say that the other two have necks that still have not moved to the point of needing a reset many years later.

Martin resisted covering these resets under warranty more than once, but eventually relented after I pressed the issue and did not give up. Now couple that with the reported number of new Martin guitars coming with under-set necks from the factory (needing a reset when brand new) I would worry too. They certainly build many great guitars but in my experience simply do not stand behind them as the longstanding lore would suggest.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadWithNames View Post
I think Taylor's NT neck is clever - and a nice feature. Kudos to Taylor!

But I look at neck resets about the same way as I do frets - which is about the same as tires on my car. They are "consumables". When it comes time to replace, I remind myself I got good solid mileage out of them - and buy new ones!

If you enjoy the guitar and play it a lot - the cost of neck reset in terms of dollars per hour played is inconsequential. To me, anyway.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:07 AM

I own three Martins and a Taylor. For the most part, when I pick up a Taylor in a guitar shop, it's too bright, but that may be due to the Elixir strings. I'm a strummer, and I love how the strings blend together into a chord on Martins. Add to that the low growl--my Martins are mahogany guitars--and it's the perfect sound for my music.

I also own a Breedlove, by the way. Nice to mix things up once in a while, especially when I need to plug in.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:20 AM

I am a fan of both guitar makers, as I am of other brands. For me it is much more important on how the guitar sounds,feels and responds then it is the name on the head stock.

Here is my Taylor 810 LTD right along side my Martin D-41 both great guitars

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion