The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-18-2020, 08:30 AM

Default Getting started w Bluegrass- which instrument?

Actually- the synth as an upright bass wasn’t really serious. My real options are rhythm guitar, electrical bass or keyboard since mandolin or upright bass feels too much for now. I needed to consider the alternatives and the inputs here were valuable.

I will check out some mandolins but I am in no haste

For some other collabs I will check out to have the lower two octaves for bass and the upper 3 octaves for melody/lead on my synth
Old 07-18-2020, 09:06 AM

I like bluegrass and I like (before the pandemic shut down local jams) to play at local jams. I'm not a singer (sadly) and I can play some leads ... but I'm not confident enough in my playing and so I make a lot of mistakes and so I sort of avoid most of them.

However if I were starting more or less from scratch I would try for either playing an upright bass or the mandolin. I've played electric bass in local band for years but I tried once or twice to play an upright and it was totally different. I mean it was a bass and it had four strings ... and that was about it. The sie of the instrument. A fingerboard with no fret markings (although you could put some markings on it to help you) , the way you slap it ... all of those things were foreign to me. Did I mention the size of the instrument? Well I guess I did but I just want to add that. And at the time, and probably now, my car is/was too small to transport it without difficulty.

But playing bass will get you very quickly I think into most bluegrass circles.

As for mandolin, I thought it was a natural for me as I have small(ish) hands. I don't understand how people with large hands can play this thing. The fretboard string spacing is so tight! Anyway years ago I bought a starter mandolin for like $50 and I even bought a set of strings. I haven't touched it in years and I've forgotten the two or three chords I learned. But for transportation purposes, it's the exact opposite of the upright bass. I mean it's so small you could probably hide it the inside pocket of some great overcoat.

So I do think for a quick way to get into bluegrass acceptability at local jams the upright bass would be better ... but it's just the dynamics of playing and hauling around such a large instrument.

(True story: I once went to a local acoustic jam. IIRR we had about seven people show up ... and three of them had upright basses, although I t hink one was the slimmed-down upright which played through an amp. But sort of the same thing happened when I went to a bluegrass jam at a park ... we had five or six players and three of them played banjos.)
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 07-18-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryE View Post
It’s a pity the triangle is not a traditional bluegrass instrument.....
Cowbell, perhaps?
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 07-18-2020, 10:28 AM

https://youtu.be/cVsQLlk-T0s
Of course
Old 07-18-2020, 06:24 PM

To the OP:

I started on piano at age 10 and played the piano and organ until about age 22, when I switched to guitar. Going from piano to bass was easy - I'd been playing bass lines with my left hand the whole time just on a different instrument.

So I vote for upright bass. You can also learn some rhythm guitar to learn the songs, strings, and where the notes are - you can play and practice bass lines on an acoustic guitar, it just won't sound like a bass. You can take a guitar to a bluegrass jam and play rhythm while you watch and listen to the bass player.

One problem with a 3/4 bass is not only size, but cost - they are not cheap.

-------------------------------------------------
2009 '69 Thinline Telecaster
2006 Gibson AJ
2001 Gibson J-50
1970's Baldwin/Ode banjo
1940 Harmony Patrician
1940 Harmony resonator
1930's Kalamazoo KG-11
Old 07-18-2020, 07:31 PM

Stradivarius. Or a Guaneri. And the bow must be from no layer than 1825.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 07-18-2020, 08:34 PM

Default Getting started w Bluegrass- which instrument?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortfinger View Post
Stradivarius. Or a Guaneri. And the bow must be from no layer than 1825.

Guarneri del Gesu all the way!! My 2006 Horner is based off Paganini’s Il Cannone and it’s a monster! Strads are too “tinny” sounding for me!!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 08-09-2020, 08:35 AM

Just wanted to give an update. On my way back after our first meeting and it was great fun! We were 9 people and all were very accomplished (except me that is). One was violin instructor and several were extremely good singers.
I brought my Yamaha LL16 and did rhythm which went OK and was superfun.
Blue ridge cabin home and Lonesome pine were the two songs we played. Solos by the violin players and the mandolin player.
We will continue to meet every two weeks and will have an instructor coming in from time to time
A gig scheduled in April!
Really happy I didn’t chicken out and stayed home
Old 08-09-2020, 08:46 AM

I just wanted to say I'm very happy for you that in this time of the pandemic that some of us got a chance to meet and jam. In my area there are no jams that I know of ... although there may still be some open mics at bars and restaurants which I won't attend for two reasons ... of course the risk of infection and secondly, which I admit is just a personal pet peeve, I don't like being the unpaid performer at a for-profit establishment. Sorry, that's just my thoughts, but I will gladly jam at a church or some non-profit event.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 08-09-2020, 09:35 AM

Red face

Quote:
Just wanted to give an update. On my way back after our first meeting and it was great fun! We were 9 people and all were very accomplished (except me that is). One was violin instructor and several were extremely good singers.
Blue ridge cabin home and Lonesome pine were the two songs we played. Solos by the violin players and the mandolin player.
We will continue to meet every two weeks and will have an instructor coming in from time to time
It's great that you had a good time. After all, that's what it's about anyway.

Last month I went to an outdoors jam 2 hours away. On a weekday just to play with other players. Going back this coming Monday.

There is a new one starting Sunday at a bar about 30 minutes away. Be interesting to see how the mask requirement works out.

But back to Perry, keep at it. As said earlier lots of guitar players. Alot fewer mandolin players. Chances are pretty good for them. Plus it easily moves to "fiddle" since they are tuned the same. The differences, you use a bow, single string course, and no frets.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 08-09-2020, 11:20 AM

There is one mandolin player but the banjo player couldn’t come. .... not sure if banjo or mandolin is hardest. I am happy to play rhythm guitar for now. Great feeling to feel the collective rhythm
Old 08-09-2020, 12:12 PM

At every bluegrass jam I have been to there are 5 guitar players for every other instrumentalist. Pick the any instrument other than guitar choice and u max your ability to play.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Mandolins are really cool!

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 08-09-2020, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Brilliant!

I played dobro some mandolin, some banjo and some harmonica in a gigging bluegrass band for about 10 years.

My advice to you would be to focus on learning the words to all of the songs that your band are going to play. And learn how to sing harmony. Bluegrass is about the singing. Bands that sing well together and play OK go down way better with an audience than a band of accomplished musicians who can't sing.

You really don't have to do anything flashy to be a great asset to your new band, whatever instrument you choose. Just play in time, know the words, and sing your heart out!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 08-09-2020, 02:15 PM

Banjo! (But then you'd have to quit this forum) just kiddingup

Seriously, guitar will be your easiest entrance since you already know the instrument some. If you know the basic cowboy chords you're in good shape because it's common to use a capo where ever you need to to get the I chord to an open G form.

Mandolin is great (my 2nd instrument) because they are tuned in even 5ths so chord forms and scales transfer easily across the strings. They are stupidly expensive though. $2,000 USD is where they start sounding good enough to actually play in a bluegrass ensemble.

String bass is very valuable and jams are always happy to see a bass show up that knows what they're doing. Bass punches the tempo and carries the chord changes while other instruments take leads.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion