The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-17-2020, 05:51 PM

I consider myself primarily a guitarist but I play electric bass in a sort of hybrid country/bluegrass band. Some bluegrassers sneer at electric basses. If you can get away with it it's an option. I wouldn't wish a stand-up bass on anyone.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 07-17-2020, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Bass.

1-5-1-5-1-5-1-5 all day long.
This.

I'm a multi-instrument player and mando is one of the instruments I play. If you're going to work toward being part of a band that plays bluegrass I would not recommend mandolin. If the band is any good then it's going require a good chop rhythm and the ability to solo well. It's not something you pick up on short order.

Since the band already has a guitar player then that's out. Most bluegrass bands have a single guitar player, not a dedicated back up guitar player.

I picked up a 3/4 upright bass and also play electric bass. (Almost nobody plays a 4/4 full size upright, the 3/4 is the universal upright bass size...) There's a place for both as you'll always find bands looking for a good bass player. Do a bit of concentrated listening to the genres that you anticipate might be an option for you and work to develop the ability o play a solid rhythm. The simpler you play the better for fitting in with bands. The most problematic bass players are those that have previously been lead guitar players.

If you get established as a bass player you often end up getting side jobs or playing in more than one band, too. Once you get comfortable with playing in live band situations there's nothing to stop you from pursuing other instruments.

You'll find that playing upright gives you a degree of street cred in a band situation that you just don't get by being an electric bass player. It's worth the effort to schlock one around, and you can always go for a smaller upright bass if you find it's too laborious to carry one around. I have friends that play 1/2 scale uprights.

You can also go with a EUB if an acoustic upright doesn't suit you. It's a good compromise.

You're a 'te fer player? Find yourself a Cajun band to play with!

Last edited by Rudy4; 07-17-2020 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-17-2020, 06:29 PM

I can only speak from my own experience.
Everything I know about bluegrass - with two dollars added - will get you a cup of McDonald's coffee.
That said...

Rhythm guitar players are a dime a dozen in bluegrass circles. You'd better be a kickin' flatpicking lead player or a dang good singer - or (even better) both, if you want to secure a guitar spot in a bluegrass band.

Good banjo players - really good banjo players - will always be in demand. Fair-to-poor banjo players, not so much. The same pretty much holds true for mandolin players.

"Doghouse" bass players - even players of modest skills - can usually land a spot in a band with no trouble. The size, cost, and physical strain of playing and transporting a double bass make them unpopular instruments. That scarcity of bass players makes them desirable additions to a bluegrass band even if their skills are very basic.

Even a beginner at the bass can probably do well enough to keep time and not sound too far off key. As frankmcr noted above...
1-5-1-5-1-5... Hit those notes on the beats and you're making a positive contribution. Better still, as your skills improve you can incorporate those improvements into your playing.

If you have only modest skills and you want to land a berth in a bluegrass band, a bass might be your best bet.

Uncle R.
Old 07-17-2020, 07:28 PM

I saw a group using one of these a couple years ago - easier to play/transport than an upright, comes close to an upright sound through a 1x15" cab with flatwounds/tapewounds (their player was using the latter) and it has the "bluegrass look" in a band context with guitar/banjo/mandolin:

https://goldtonemusicgroup.com/goldtone/instruments/pbb
Old 07-17-2020, 08:05 PM

I play rhythm guitar in a bluegrass band and agree with a lot of the opinions posted above. Even though guitar players are a dime a dozen in the bluegrass world, a GOOD rhythm player is still a valuable commodity. All that being said, a GOOD bass player is PRICELESS!! I don’t agree with the 1,5 idea of thinking. That gets old really quick. I like a bass player who can walk it and slap it, BUT knows WHEN and HOW to do it.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 07-17-2020, 08:33 PM

Before this Covid business a couple of the jams I went to we had a gentleman that played an electric bass guitar.

Power may not always be available and some jams have strict no electric rule. To get started since you already play bass, how about an acoustic bass.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 07-17-2020, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

Playing guitar in a bluegrass jam is a good way to go...you can lay back and play along without drawing undo attention to yourself as you gain experience and get a good handle on the rhythmic drive that is the backbone of bluegrass. You will be able to listen and learn more effectively and you can start working on solo flatpicking on your own until you are ready to step up and take a solo....or not....plenty of folks show up at bluegrass jams just to strum along and maybe sing a number or two...
Old 07-17-2020, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
Playing guitar in a bluegrass jam is a good way to go...you can lay back and play along without drawing undo attention to yourself as you gain experience and get a good handle on the rhythmic drive that is the backbone of bluegrass. You will be able to listen and learn more effectively and you can start working on solo flatpicking on your own until you are ready to step up and take a solo....or not....plenty of folks show up at bluegrass jams just to strum along and maybe sing a number or two...
Yep. Just show up and have a good time. That's one of the best ways to improve. Play with musicians who are better. They are willing to help and you will improve
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 07-17-2020, 09:34 PM

Dobro.....?
Old 07-17-2020, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Dobro.....?

Do you know what the definition of “perfect pitch” is? It’s the sound a banjo makes when it hits the bottom of a dumpster.................and lands on a dobro!!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2

Last edited by Tnfiddler; 07-17-2020 at 10:10 PM.
Old 07-17-2020, 10:44 PM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Dobro.....?
That would be my suggestion as well.

Don
Old 07-18-2020, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post

Even though guitar players are a dime a dozen in the bluegrass world, a GOOD rhythm player is still a valuable commodity. All that being said, a GOOD bass player is PRICELESS!! I don’t agree with the 1,5 idea of thinking. That gets old really quick. I like a bass player who can walk it and slap it, BUT knows WHEN and HOW to do it.

Double Bass players are always welcome at bluegrass jams. Other players will invite you to their jams and go out their way to help with transport etc. (Sorta like ice hockey goalies who play as much as they like and play for free. )

Double Bass solos are super cool. And WOW if the player can solo with a bow.

You might also get a spruce/mahogany dreadnought or a dobro to take when you want to bring a standard size instrument.

Lots of weekly informal bluegrass jams are underway at the park this summer (with 6' spacing instead of 4-5' normal spacing).

And in the fall when jams move indoors with restricted numbers of players they'll probably prioritize Double Bass players.

BTW: double bass = doghouse bass = bull fiddle = home wrecker (gouges in drywall).

Cheers.

Last edited by casualmusic; 07-18-2020 at 12:45 AM.
Old 07-18-2020, 12:56 AM

Default Getting started w Bluegrass- which instrument?

Wow - lots of interesting information and stuff to digest! We will meet up in 3 weeks but this was helpful! “tit fer “ and Cajun - had to google that one!

Just for fun I include a link to two songs I produced last year as part of an assignment for a course. The upright bass is done from Midi played by the singer/writer on her Clavinova piano and then I used Studio One. With my Korg I can get pretty close to this sound

https://soundcloud.com/user-814767420/karusellhaesten

https://soundcloud.com/user-814767420/kaffekoppen

Last edited by PerryE; 07-18-2020 at 04:18 AM.
Old 07-18-2020, 05:58 AM

Clearly a candidate for Electric Autoharp.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 07-18-2020, 08:12 AM

Stockholm bluegrass players must be way more open minded than the ones around here.

Not just electric bass, but electric bass played on a synth?!?

I don’t think it would be real popular here.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion