The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-09-2020, 04:05 PM

I recently put a used Anthem in a guitar and secured everything that needed adhesives with blue tac (used to be called plastitac when I was a kid). It has been fine for a few weeks now and is easily removed should I so desire. My only issue is getting the pickup to sound like I want. It’s very trebly to my ear.
Old 08-09-2020, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

Different wood grains will hold adhesives differently, even the same species. A good cleaning then a GENTLE sanding to just level the grains, then more cleaning to remove dust should allow adhesive to gain a good purchase.

Be careful about stronger (ie irreversible) glues. Some may be tempted to “up the game” with an epoxy or gel acrylate (which would definitely hold), but these are difficult to remove if the need arises, and can pull grains out. The adhesive tape should work on a properly prepared surface, and if you have to re-stick it once in a while, no foul.
Old 08-09-2020, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Different wood grains will hold adhesives differently, even the same species. A good cleaning then a GENTLE sanding to just level the grains, then more cleaning to remove dust should allow adhesive to gain a good purchase.

Be careful about stronger (ie irreversible) glues. Some may be tempted to “up the game” with an epoxy or gel acrylate (which would definitely hold), but these are difficult to remove if the need arises, and can pull grains out. The adhesive tape should work on a properly prepared surface, and if you have to re-stick it once in a while, no foul.
Excellent advice ~ thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfguy View Post
I recently put a used Anthem in a guitar and secured everything that needed adhesives with blue tac (used to be called plastitac when I was a kid). It has been fine for a few weeks now and is easily removed should I so desire. My only issue is getting the pickup to sound like I want. It’s very trebly to my ear.
I haven't messed with it yet, because in this guitar the default setting sounded good out of the box, but there is a recessed pot (came with a special stylus for adjustment) that affects the treble response of the system. Did your used one come with the magic stick?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion