The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-23-2024, 01:19 PM

I bought my Holy Grail guitar three weeks ago. I can say that because (1) I'm 77 years old and have no intention of buying any more guitars and (2) I've been looking at this particular model for 30 years.
Old 03-23-2024, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

The Holy Grail will be different for different people and I suspect it is only recognized as such during the honeymoon phase and again after it has been traded or sold, with that oh so frustrating 20/20 hindsight as "the one that got away". In between these events, it becomes just another guitar in my collection.

So, as the song said "Love the one you're with" because it just might be The One - you just don't know it yet.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-23-2024, 02:28 PM

I played a small body custom shop Koa Martin once. Never experienced a guitar like that before - clouds parted, beam of light shined on me, angels sang, etc. I’ll never forget it.
1972 Gibson SJ Deluxe
2019 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird Fixed Bridge

…don’t even get me started on electrics - too many to list.
Old 03-23-2024, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

Yes, I can help you find the Holy Grail. To the north there lies a cave, the cave of Caerbannog, where in carved in mystic runes upon the very living rock, the last words of Olfin Bedwee of Rheged.” (thunder rolls) “Make plain the last resting place of the most Holy Grail."

We already have one, it's very nice. Now go away you silly English kniggets, or I shall taunt you again.
Old 03-23-2024, 03:18 PM

Pretty sure the Templars buried it on Oak Island….
Old 03-23-2024, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

No matter what great guitars I buy, I still always could make room for another. Even though I just bought a Custom Shop J-45, I am still looking at other guitars.
Old 03-23-2024, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Personally, I've come to believe, much like you, the grail is nothing more than a ghost who haunts up and taunts us. I've lost track of my "holy grails". My 2 cents
Emerald X-20 Custom SS

Life's been good to me so far....
Old 03-23-2024, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

It know it exists but I also know I can't afford it.
Old 03-23-2024, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
The Holy Grail to me doesn't exist.
Why?

There are way too many Holy Grail Guitars out there to ever be able to choose "The One".

Many of us think they have found our Holy Grail only to later find another guitar that is better or just more desirable.

So do you believe that there is a Holy Grail for you that will never be equaled?
I will be very hard pressed to find something I like better than the Boucher OM Hybrid I bought about six months ago.
Old 03-23-2024, 06:04 PM

Being a blues roots fingerpicker, I probably found my holy grail years and years ago when I bought my 1937 Gibson L-00......but I veer musically all over the road/s and my most recent purchase early January had me thinking : buying my 1968 Ramirez Estudio was a bit like pulling Excalibur from the Stone! Right time, right place and all that.....a few years ago, I may not have even noticed it but now......

So anyone that actually finds the Holy Grail gets to keep it, that correct?

But to pull Excaliber from the Stone requires certain conditions!

BluesKing777.
Old 03-23-2024, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Yeah, I think most of us would pretty much agree that there is no holy grail guitar.

Some players can pretty much make any good guitar sound great.

There are good guitars out there, a lot of them, and depending on the player, some suit one kind of player, some suit others. And different kinds of guitars do different things.

We can't own them all. After a while, it's not about the guitar. It's about how we play and how to get the best out of what we have and can afford. We are really lucky if we can afford one or two really good guitars so that the guitar is no longer a limit on what we can do.

- Glenn

Well said Glenn!!!

And also...as Sheryl Crow sang so well...

"It's Not Having What You Want
It's Wanting What You've Got"

I do think some people find the "Grail" for themselves...

Willie and Trigger

Tony and The Antique

Django and The Selmer

Pierre and The Old Lady

MCC and her Greven #1

Some lucky folks are able to make that rare and exceptional connection to a particular instrument.

The rest of us mere mortals get to enjoy various versions of the "variety pack".

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 03-23-2024, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
Our various philosophical responses. Did I miss any?...

6. Grail today, gone tomorrow.

This^^^ has got to...for REAL...become a bumper sticker for AGF forum members!!! So perfect!!!

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 03-23-2024, 07:36 PM

Default The Holy Grail?

The 2013 Gretsch G6136DC double-cut White Falcon I bought in 2018 was the realization of a 55-year dream for me, ever since I saw my first one in the '63 catalog as a kid...

My 2016 3-PU cat's eye Gretsch G5622T-CB is a production version of a design I bounced off a then up-and-coming (and now world-renowned) luthier about 40 years ago: cost me about one-third what he quoted (in 1983 dollars - probably charge at least 5-6 times that now ), felt/sounded immediately familiar from day one, and I can live with the minor differences from my original conception...

Learned my lesson when I sold my "Holy Grail" '73 D-45 for all the wrong reasons...

Neither one is going anywhere while I walk this earth...
Old 03-23-2024, 07:40 PM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
The Holy Grail to me doesn't exist.
Why?

There are way too many Holy Grail Guitars out there to ever be able to choose "The One".

Many of us think they have found our Holy Grail only to later find another guitar that is better or just more desirable.

So do you believe that there is a Holy Grail for you that will never be equaled?
For me there’s no Holy Grail. Up to about 5 or 6 years ago, I had holy grails - lots of them - but IDC any more. My first HG was a Gibson J-50 = I got it = and discovered it was just a guitar. Then, the J-200. Followed by the J-45. Then the Gibson Songwriter. After that the 814ce V-Crap. Er, I mean “class.” Naw, I’m done.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 03-23-2024, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie-f View Post
Yes, I can help you find the Holy Grail. To the north there lies a cave, the cave of Caerbannog, where in carved in mystic runes upon the very living rock, the last words of Olfin Bedwee of Rheged.” (thunder rolls) “Make plain the last resting place of the most Holy Grail."

We already have one, it's very nice. Now go away you silly English kniggets, or I shall taunt you again.

Just find the guitar store near the Castle of aaarrrrggh…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion