The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-17-2023, 01:38 PM

Default Radial Tonebone PZ-Pre vs Grace Alix

I have a pz that does pretty well with my k&K. I feel like I could use just a tad more control over they mids when playing my Lowden O. Does anyone have experience with these 2 units? If so would you say the Alix mid features are a bit better?

Thanks,

Aaron
Old 07-17-2023, 02:38 PM

I have the "dual Alix" called the Felix and have used quite a few other preamps but not the Radial (though I have two of their Jensen transformer DIs).

I think the Grace unit is a wonderful high-quality pre with a musicality and "engineering grace" that's rare. But in lots of places we play (bars), it makes zero sonic difference.

So there ya go.
Old 07-17-2023, 03:29 PM

I hear you buzzard. I do some patio brew pub stuff.. I go back and forth on whether or not to just buy an Alix. Thanks for the input.
Old 07-17-2023, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arashaw View Post
I hear you buzzard. I do some patio brew pub stuff.. I go back and forth on whether or not to just buy an Alix. Thanks for the input.
Buy it, I've got over 1000 gigs on mine, and it's never lets me down. So many great routing options, killer mid EQ, and just as important, HP filter. Whenever I get to the gig I hit a big chord, roll the HP filter to where the low end sound the tightest, and I'm off to the races. And, oh yeah, multiple impedance front end that should work great with your K&Ks.
Old 07-17-2023, 03:45 PM

Thanks rockabilly. Maybe I'lll sell the tonebone and the d-tar solstice I have and put the cash towards the Alix.
Old 07-17-2023, 04:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

I'm watching this thread. I have a PZ Deluxe and like it - but never tried the Grace Designs.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 07-17-2023, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arashaw View Post
Thanks rockabilly. Maybe I'lll sell the tonebone and the d-tar solstice I have and put the cash towards the Alix.
I use to run a Solstice and an Equinox, before I got the Grace. I like the Grace far better.
Old 07-17-2023, 04:41 PM

I have a Grace Felix and it really is a marvelous piece of gear. I used it as a preamp for my K&K (Ultratonic) Taylor for a long time until I discovered that the Baggs Session DI + an EQ pedal better suited my needs. I still use the Felix a lot (as a mic pre) for home videos and other things. The form factor of the Alix is better than the Felix and is a net plus for gigging with. All of this to say that you can't go wrong with anything from Grace Designs--amazing company.
Old 07-18-2023, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperMoon View Post
I have a Grace Felix and it really is a marvelous piece of gear. I used it as a preamp for my K&K (Ultratonic) Taylor for a long time until I discovered that the Baggs Session DI + an EQ pedal better suited my needs. I still use the Felix a lot (as a mic pre) for home videos and other things. The form factor of the Alix is better than the Felix and is a net plus for gigging with. All of this to say that you can't go wrong with anything from Grace Designs--amazing company.
It's hard to criticize the Session DI. I bought one and stupidly sold it in a tone chasing frenzy. After trying a Red Eye, Fishman Platinum Stage, NUX Optima, and even a T-Rex Soulmate I bought another Session.... It's that good.

My only complaint, and it is small, is that Baggs didn't put in an effects loop. Heck, I'd even pay more money for it. Maybe they thought adding too many things to the chain would take away from the Comp EQ and Saturation? Do you run the external EQ behind it to an amp? I can see that being useful because the DI is running to a board where you have plenty of EQ options.
Old 07-18-2023, 11:53 AM

Another contender would have to be the Empress Effects ParaEq MKII Deluxe Parametric EQ Pedal - Ultra pure analog stage with the most flexible EQ I've seen in the DI pedal market - Also has 1mohm input impedance which matches the K&K. I had the predecessor model before getting this one and being blown away. There's something to be said about nailing your tone and this pedal is the reigning champ currently

It's like the SunnAudio DI-2 Prestine (a forum fave) but with extensive EQ shaping

Last edited by ACOUSTICDEWD; 07-18-2023 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-21-2023, 07:22 PM

The "Tad" more control cost's twice as much as the PZ. If you're ok with that, go for it!
Old 07-22-2023, 09:48 AM

Having owned both Radial PZ and the Alix at the same time, I decided to sell the PZ. Different power supplies. The Alix gave me a more granular eq options. Have had it for about for about 4 years now. I also have the Sunnaudio DI-2, which is excellent. Smaller footprint/weight than the Alix. Not quite eq/notching features of the Alix, but sounds "musical" and is a very small and lightweight.
I looked at the Empress para eq II, but no mute or XLR out(which I need). It has a single output. Really want to like it for the eq options, but missing some vital features for my use. My signal chain runs from pre/di to amp and another out to PA(XLR). Would love to see a cross between the Sunnaudio and the Empress.
But of course, YMMV.....
Old 07-28-2023, 08:43 AM

You owned both, great! Can you describe what you mean by granular? Are you saying more detailed? Thanks
Old 07-28-2023, 11:16 AM

Yes, by granular, I mean fuller spectrum para-eq mid controls, specifically. Always wrestling with the mids. Alix just seems more responsive to eq changes, for my needs across the board. Alix was quick and easy to dial in a very good sound in the first 10 minutes of use.
Tonebone is excellent sonically and whole lot less $$s than the Grace. I needed better para mid controls and smaller footprint for the 2 boards I interchange. To be fair, I had an earlier model Tonebone PZ. Looks like the new ones have some upgrades in the eq. However, still a larger footprint and weight, as is the Felix.
Still, as soon as I plugged in the Alix, it had that studio, quiet, clarity mojo that I had not experienced in a pre before(I have had many). I really don't think you can do better than the Grace products(Alix/Felix/2). It depends on your pocketbook and what you would consider good enough for your needs. As a regular gigging musician, I am always looking for signal chain, path upgrades that better fit my needs(that no one else will even notice or hear! lol).
I would say, if at all possible, do a side by side comp. But, realize that would be very difficult to manage. Once again, YMMV...
Old 07-28-2023, 11:52 AM

Thanks SQNK. I have the old ToneBone as well. I quite like it. I want a little more EQ control in the mids. I appreciate the info. Maybe I'll buy an ALIX, then A/B against the ToneBone for a while. I guess that's the best way to really know.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification