The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-20-2023, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

Default No Matter How Many Cables You Have

You will always need another One! It could be you need a Longer Cable. Or it could be that a shorter cable to make your work space less congested. Or In my case, a right angle mic connector would be nice for my Tube Mic Power supply.

I have spent the day re-arranging my Hardware and interface. Something that should have taken me an hour to do. Instead I spent most of the day thinking about what would yield the best positioning & duty.

Makes no difference how much you try & plan for ever scenario....eventually you will make changes that you did not account for in your Everything Plan.

I can make everything work as is. It would just be a little nicer with the right size cables and connectors. A little afternoon rant. LOL.
Old 04-20-2023, 09:03 PM

Here ya go...

I definitely have more than enough cables to do everything I need. I also have every conceivable adapter, cross connect, extender, etc. that I could need.

It's not rocket surgery. You've got instruments. You've got gear. You need to connect them. Now if you get new instruments or new gear you may need new cables/connectors. Not difficult - I can always buy the connectors and cable and solder up anything.

People who have set up and played with me are very appreciative, at least as much for my cable and connector stash as for my competence on multiple instruments.
Old 04-23-2023, 12:37 PM

Learning to solder is the best antidote to cable anxiety.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 04-23-2023, 03:49 PM
Guitar Gourmet

When I first entered the recording industry in 1981, my company had just built a new complex with three studios. Rather than spend a ton of money on new mic cables to populate their studios, they had all of their eleven recording engineers who could solder spend every un-booked moment soldering up cables. They provided boxes and boxes of the best Cannon XLR connectors of the period and miles of excellent Belden cable. They set up soldering stations for us and off we went. Those cable went into service immediately and provided excellent service for thirty years.

A few years ago, new management wisely decided that in order to provide reliability, they needed to replace all the mic cables in the building. The cables we had built were still working without any significant failure rate, but it seemed wise to stay ahead of the curve. So, new cables were ordered and replaced our original cables. Word was sent out: "Come and get it. Help yourselves to the old cables!" I took enough that my home operation will never again need 10' or 20' cables. Oh, perhaps I'll need the odd shorty or specialty cable. But it is nice to see the work of my own hands find a new home with me.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 04-23-2023, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
Learning to solder is the best antidote to cable anxiety.
or wireless guitar and mic systems. They you can have battery and interference anxiety instead!
Old 04-23-2023, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

My order with Redco came very quickly this past week. Their prices are great and you can get Mogami/Neutrik cables for about what you pay for ProCo. I can't recommend them highly enough.

Redco.com
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 04-23-2023, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
My order with Redco came very quickly this past week. Their prices are great and you can get Mogami/Neutrik cables for about what you pay for ProCo. I can't recommend them highly enough.

Redco.com
Thanks for this Tip. I called on Friday to HaveInc. where I have been having my cables made, and they said it would take a month to get(there usual time frame)

I just Check Redco ,and they do carry the Cable I use, Canare Da206. I like all of my cables to match. So I will give them a call tomorrow.

It is one of those things...that I can certainly get by with what I already have. But new cables would make things a little bit cleaner and easy to manage.
Old 04-24-2023, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I can't recommend them highly enough.

Redco.com
Called Redco just now...and you are so right they will deliver in one week. And the carry the cable company and model that I use, Canare DA 206. HaveInc...who I have been using for a couple of years is very nice...but they are always a month out.

I will just double check and make sure I am ordering everything I need and place an order first thing tomorrow.

Thanks for the recommendation! Great advice as always.

Looking forward to your best evaluation on where to place my future acoustic panels?https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=668588
Old 04-24-2023, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticDreams View Post
Called Redco just now...and you are so right they will deliver in one week. And the carry the cable company and model that I use, Canare DA 206. HaveInc...who I have been using for a couple of years is very nice...but they are always a month out.

I will just double check and make sure I am ordering everything I need and place an order first thing tomorrow.

Looking forward to your best evaluation on where to place my future acoustic panels?https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=668588
Glad that worked out. Just so you know, Redco isn't always that fast. I've had some long waits with them but recently I've gotten my orders in under a week (delivery from them to me is a one-day deal because they're in a neighboring state). But their prices are great and, in over a decade, I've never had a cable I bought from them fail.

YouTube
Old 04-24-2023, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Glad that worked out. Just so you know, Redco isn't always that fast. I've had some long waits with them but recently I've gotten my orders in under a week (delivery from them to me is a one-day deal because they're in a neighboring state). But their prices are great and, in over a decade, I've never had a cable I bought from them fail.
Just got through placing the order.

I also felt that the person I dealt with at Redco(Chris) was more knowledgeable than my previous companies personal. For example he explained that the vertical position for a right angle connector is actually not quite vertical and more at a 10 o'clock position. I was asking for some advice in this area and he was very helpful.

In reality, I am not sure that a right angle connector will offer much more over the straight. It should cut down on the frontal loop size. Currently I am using a full length microphone cable to get into my preamp from the power supply. A wast of cable & more mess.
Old 04-29-2023, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Quote:
Another recommendation for RedCo.

I've needed a lot of mic cables, of pretty long lengths, since I started doing some choir and small ensemble field recordings. I just recently realized I should have a couple more long cables for a few hall/ambiance mics but thought I didn't have enough time to get them in before the concert. When you guys said they've been delivering in about a week lately I gave them a call and it looks like I'll have the cables delivered in 4 days from my order!

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 04-29-2023, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Just got through placing the order.

I also felt that the person I dealt with at Redco(Chris) was more knowledgeable than my previous companies personal. For example he explained that the vertical position for a right angle connector is actually not quite vertical and more at a 10 o'clock position. I was asking for some advice in this area and he was very helpful.

In reality, I am not sure that a right angle connector will offer much more over the straight. It should cut down on the frontal loop size. Currently I am using a full length microphone cable to get into my preamp from the power supply. A wast of cable & more mess.
I've dealt with Chris in the past. He helped me figure out my best option for an XLR patchbay and he was also helpful one time when one of my orders fell between the cracks for some reason. That only happened once and Redco remedied the situation quickly so I have no hesitations about recommending them.

As for right angle connectors, I've only found them useful on my pedal board and for some electric guitars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Another recommendation for RedCo.

I've needed a lot of mic cables, of pretty long lengths, since I started doing some choir and small ensemble field recordings. I just recently realized I should have a couple more long cables for a few hall/ambiance mics but thought I didn't have enough time to get them in before the concert. When you guys said they've been delivering in about a week lately I gave them a call and it looks like I'll have the cables delivered in 4 days from my order!
I'm glad that's working out for both of you.

YouTube
Old 04-30-2023, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

That Redco company looks like a good option I may have to get a couple 10 mic cables from them
No question that custom cable lengths can definitely cut down on clutter over standard lengths Particularly with all your interconnects and patch cables .

That is why last year (for example) when building my Wet/Dry Rig pedal board (with simple 1/4 TS connectors ) For custom patch cable lengths , I choose Evidence Audio for its SIS (solderless connectors ) and great cable
No doubt one of the most expensive options especially for DYI but it was just so easy and clean

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD