The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-05-2022, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I'd be curious to know what it weighs. I've been checking out Eastman for the last few years and the most recent Alpine TC models have the slimmest bracing that I've ever seen on an Eastman. They also finally stopped with the finish on the inside that a lot of them seemed to have. As a result, I think they are the best sounding Eastmans I've played to date. I've still yet to encounter an Eastman I would call light. They've all still been really heavy. The E6D-TC was 4.87lbs.
Yeah, "heavy" was my first impression when I lifted my recently acquired E6OM-TC out of it's case for the first time. Compared to my 2018 CS Banner J45 and my old OM18V, it felt like a tank. The weight doesn't bother me anymore, and I'm thoroughly enjoying my new Eastman. Despite the weight, it's a responsive instrument. I can't help but wonder, however, what it could be if not for the heavier build, but I remain impressed.

Roger
Old 02-05-2022, 05:19 PM

I was looking to upgrade or at least try something different from the Seagull SWS I was learning on. After reading about Eastman’s here I found a used E10 OM Ltd. It was great, offering a different sound experience. But then I played a used E10P and fell in love. The neck, spacing and the complex sounds. It has remained while I parted with the OM. I thought I was done but now am wondering about a E20 OO.
Can anyone speak to the difference I would hear moving into the E20 OO from the E10P. How much more would the rosewood offer?

Cheers
PS the E10P is staying with me
Old 02-05-2022, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

I think the added weight over the past 4-5 years comes partially from a fairly wide brace they now have all the way around the soundhole, like a donut shaped plate. Also the tops seem thicker, but that’s just from memory. I haven’t measured them.

Don’t get me wrong. I like Eastman and appreciate what they bring to the table in tone, value, and aesthetics.
Old 02-05-2022, 07:26 PM

Yes, I've owned a year-one E20-OM and also a much newer copy. The newer one was more heavily built (looked inside at the bracing) but it also didn't have a big bridge belly like the early one. The early one also had a lot more fit and finish issues, but on the other hand, being lightly built it sounded better to my ear. Tradeoffs.
Old 02-11-2022, 12:06 PM
AGF Sponsor

My E-10ss is feather-light. I wonder if they were having too many warranty issues with the lighter builds.

sm
Old 02-11-2022, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
My E-10ss is feather-light. I wonder if they were having too many warranty issues with the lighter builds.

sm
Do you happen to have a scale and could weigh it?
Old 02-11-2022, 01:35 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
Do you happen to have a scale and could weigh it?
Jesse, yes, I would be happy to. However, it also has a Trance Audio Amulet rig in it, so you'll have to research how much that weighs (can't be more than a few ounces). Jesse, I've actually got a postage scale that might give us a very accurate reading.

Jesse, please email me a reminder directly to charmedlifepicks @ gmail. I'm certain it weighs less than the current models. It feels like air when you hold it. Definitely the lightest guitar I've ever held. I've heard this about the old vintage J-45 -- the weigh, like, nothing.

Catch you later,
Scott
Old 02-11-2022, 03:27 PM

If it helps, my 2021 Eastman E10OM-TC weighs 2069 grams.

That's 72.98 oz or 4.56 lb.

I added a strap button. Guessing five or ten grams for that. Everything else is stock including the same string model/gauge that came from the factory.

It was weighed with a calibrated commercial Brecknell scale.
Old 02-11-2022, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

My Eastmans have all been 2019+ and pretty heavy compared to similar Martin builds. Usually .75-1lb heavier. A few of them:

Eastman E6D-TC -- 4.87lbs
Eastman E20OM -- 4.80lbs
Eastman E6OM -- 4.69lbs
Old 03-10-2022, 06:20 AM

Actually I play two eastmans! One is a E6OM TC and the other one is the E20 00 which is basically a L00 with rosewood. They are different. The neck on the E6 is wider but anyway, I love them both!

And for real, they are offering a huge value! L00 with adirondack and rosewood for under 2k€ is a steal!!
Old 03-10-2022, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island NS View Post
I was looking to upgrade or at least try something different from the Seagull SWS I was learning on. After reading about Eastman’s here I found a used E10 OM Ltd. It was great, offering a different sound experience. But then I played a used E10P and fell in love. The neck, spacing and the complex sounds. It has remained while I parted with the OM. I thought I was done but now am wondering about a E20 OO.
Can anyone speak to the difference I would hear moving into the E20 OO from the E10P. How much more would the rosewood offer?

Cheers
PS the E10P is staying with me
The e10p is a boxy parlor. The e20 00 sounds much fuller and its very balanced but still has that traditional tone. The e20 00 is as full sounding 00 you will ever play.
Old 03-10-2022, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

My introduction to Eastman was with their mandolins about 15 years ago. A friend bought a new MD815V (Adi top/Flamed Maple b/s Varnish finish) at The Music Emporium in MA. It was (and still is) awesome... and in no way priced out of reach like many other USA brands.

I now own four Eastmans (two mandos: MD314 & MD305 and two acoustic guitars: E2OM-CD & AC108CE-LTD) - The guitars have an open pore finish - all four have a thin satin finish.
Old 03-10-2022, 08:23 AM

I have a 10 OM but is there a 20 00 in stock anywhere nowadays?
Old 03-10-2022, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
all I can do is ditto what other Eastman lovers say....I've had my E-10 OM for 4 or 5 years, sounds great and plays like butter all the way up the neck to twelfth, outshines a custom name brand I just purchased in every way.
I think this is the feeling of many Eastman owners. We buy Eastman not because they are cheaper versions of other more prestigious models but because they sound better to our ears than many of those models. The price is merely the cherry on the cake.
Old 03-10-2022, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
I think this is the feeling of many Eastman owners. We buy Eastman not because they are cheaper versions of other more prestigious models but because they sound better to our ears than many of those models. The price is merely the cherry on the cake.
Hear, hear !

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion