The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-15-2022, 10:56 AM

Default Trouble keeping the same rhythm for an entire song 😞

No I have not used a metronome yet. I have tried one, but it seems to make the playing boring, or maybe its just me. I can get the rhythm going but can't seem to keep it going for the whole song through my clunky chord changes. Yes, I have a lot of problems. I may have to take up drinking again. At least then I'll think I sound good 🙂.

Seriously though, thinking about my lack of rhythm got me to wondering are there any of you that can play but can't dance? Because being able to play good rhythm guitar seems like you should be able to dance also.
Old 08-15-2022, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Suck it up cupcake.....use a metronome....
Various other acoustics
Various electric guitars and amps
Old 08-15-2022, 11:04 AM

Chord transitions are hard until you get them down. They become hard again each time you change chord sequences (but not quite as hard as the first time). You have to do them over and over again slowly until they get into the muscle memory category. So it will be very, very boring and frustrating at first. Then it will become awesome. If you have a particular chord transition that you are having trouble with, do it over and over slowly until you get it. You eventually will. If you want to use a metronome (which will help you maintain your rhythm), start at 85 and build up. Don't give up. Embrace the boredom. It will eventually become easier to go more quickly.
Old 08-15-2022, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas007 View Post
No I have not used a metronome yet. I have tried one, but it seems to make the playing boring, or maybe its just me. I can get the rhythm going but can't seem to keep it going for the whole song through my clunky chord changes. Yes, I have a lot of problems. I may have to take up drinking again. At least then I'll think I sound good 🙂.

Seriously though, thinking about my lack of rhythm got me to wondering are there any of you that can play but can't dance? Because being able to play good rhythm guitar seems like you should be able to dance also.
The secret to being able to play rhythm consistently is make sure your right hand doesnt falter when you're playing chords. It doesn't matter if you fluff a chord change as long as the rhythm keeps going. Nobody is likely to notice a dodgy chord change...they will however notice the rhythm changing.
Old 08-15-2022, 11:18 AM

Try playing songs along with the Justin Guitar app on your phone or equivalent something that gives you backing music and chord change timing. Less boring than a metronome and forces you into the rhythm.
Old 08-15-2022, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBW View Post
Chord transitions are hard until you get them down. They become hard again each time you change chord sequences (but not quite as hard as the first time). You have to do them over and over again slowly until they get into the muscle memory category. So it will be very, very boring and frustrating at first. Then it will become awesome. If you have a particular chord transition that you are having trouble with, do it over and over slowly until you get it. You eventually will. If you want to use a metronome (which will help you maintain your rhythm), start at 85 and build up. Don't give up. Embrace the boredom. It will eventually become easier to go more quickly.
Yup, there are no short cuts though obviously it's comes easier to some but for most of us its, practice, practice, practice.
Old 08-15-2022, 11:30 AM

Hey Chas, like mentioned, get your chord changes down and then it will be easier to keep the rhythm going.

If you are struggling with a chord change the easiest thing to do to keep the timing down is to keep your strumming hand doing what its supposed to do. The chord change will sound rough but you'll keep the timing.
Old 08-15-2022, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

If you don’t want to use a metronome, try playing along with a recorded song you like.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 08-15-2022, 11:43 AM

YouTube has a lot of backing tracks to play with.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 08-15-2022, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Shortcuts frequently aren't... use a metronome.

Once you've learned to do something correctly, then breaking the rules becomes creative license... until then it's just it's something far less charitable.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 08-15-2022, 11:59 AM

An exercise I've found useful is to deaden the strings with the left hand and just play the rhythm with your right, as if the guitar were a string drum. This will help you learn when to syncopate and learn how to make the pattern more interesting.

But yes, using a metronome is essential. If your rhythm sounds boring while you're using a metronome, then you're doing something wrong. You've got to learn to keep the beat and make it interesting at the same time.
Old 08-15-2022, 12:29 PM

I started playing guitar at 10. Then late in 8th grade I started band in school as a percussionist. One of the drummers moved out of state and since I could read music and count rhythm I started without a single drum lesson. But I can't dance a lick.

It will take practice to get the muscle memory for chord changes. One thing I tell people just starting out. When playing first position (cowboy) chords keep the right hand in rhythm. Don't worry about getting the chord down on the first beat.

By doing this you keep the rhythm going better and you hit about half the notes of a chord on the first beat. By the second beat you should have at least half the chord landed. The accuracy on the chord changes will come.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 08-15-2022, 01:59 PM

Keep your foot tapping. Keep the rhythm going and if you must falter, do it on the chord changes. Your right hand needs to be able to go on it's own without thinking about it. Call that muscle memory.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 08-15-2022, 02:40 PM

I remember when I first addressed rhythm, I simply pretended my right hand playing was like a seconds hand on a clock, just playing the music rhythm guitar steady like a seconds hand moves on a clock. If I am playing with others and doing the rhythm part, I still approach it that way. Although sometimes I imagine my rhythm guitar is no different than a drum, providing the rhythm for others to play along to.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff
Old 08-15-2022, 03:38 PM

Another thing I was taught is that you have to anticipate where you are going next when transitioning from one chord to the next. For learning how to keep a rhythm I would also suggest learning some patterns and just using your right hand to strum without any left hand involvement. Also learn how to properly hold a pick if you haven't thought about it before. Sierra Hull has a good video on this (it's for mandolin but applies to guitar as well). Many people hold their picks incorrectly and it negatively affects their rhythm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tCoGGcsi0I&t=26s

Last edited by DBW; 08-15-2022 at 03:47 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write