The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-06-2022, 09:37 AM

Default Godin A6 Ultra cutting out

I have a Godin A6 Ultra. I've always just used the "blend" output where both pickups go to the board. But I just started playing around with separating (humbucker output to fender amp, acoustic pu to board). At my gig, it suddenly cut out and I had to revert to using the "mix" output again. All was well that night. Next Gig I just went straight out of the "mix" output again but it started cutting out halfway through a song (it went in and out, high volume, then 1/2 volume, then back a couple times.) I've not done much research yet but thought I'd start here to see if anyone has had a similar problem. I've anecdotally heard about some electronics issues with these guitars depending on the year.

Thanks all!
Old 08-06-2022, 06:45 PM

FWIW, my Yamaha FGX5 has had cutout issues. I suspected the input jack, but it is mostly enclosed so I can't really see in it. Anyway, a shot of De-Oxit spray and some vigorous plugging and unplugging seems to have solved the issue. I hope you can figure yours out. In my experience, the issue that seems to be causing the problem usually is. Case in point, I have a CPX900 with a sketchy volume pot. I tried spraying it with the de oxit. No dice, as the issue was the mechanical connection inside the pot. It was loose. With my input jack, the guitar sounded like it was coming unplugged. I'm assuming there wad a little corrosion on either the tip or ring connector inside the input jack.
Old 08-07-2022, 06:35 AM

I'm a retired EE and former A6 Ultra owner. I never had any issues with mine, but there is enough complexity to its design that you won't get any simple answer short of trying a new battery. The guitar needs to go to a tech. The biggest problem is an intermittent failure that makes the guitar unusable for a gig, but doesn't fail for the tech.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 08-07-2022, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

I have not had this issue with mine, but I do find this concerning, since this is my main and only guitar I presently gig with. I’d get on the horn to Godin right away.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair