The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-22-2022, 12:33 PM

Default Which open A fingering do you prefer?

I started learning with online resources including JustinGuitar. Justin recommends the "new" A fingering:

Lately I have started taking lessons and my instructor has very diplomatically tried to tell me she thinks the new fingering sucks and I should try to switch to traditional 1-2-3.

In playing it both ways and trying to be objective, it seems to be about even -- there is something to like and dislike about each. The new way is a little harder to get to quickly but I find my fingers fit better and I am less likely to have a string that won't ring clearly. The new way also has the advantage of giving you a consistent anchor finger to E and D.

If I can't switch or don't wanna, my instructor will roll with it, but I do want to give it real consideration.

What do y'all think? Any strong opinions?
Old 07-22-2022, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't have a strong opinion on that particular fingering. It does work.
But what I think is a better approach, is not to "standardize" on any one way to play a chord, for the simple reason that proper fingering on any given song is often dependent on what came before, and what comes next.
So, best to learn and get comfortable with all A forms, also the ones with just one or two fingers, but if you prefer a "go to" shape, then by all means do so. I guess mine would be the way your teacher does it, but that's because I learned it so many moons ago.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 07-22-2022, 01:04 PM

Learning every way makes perfect sense, though as I stumble through my beginner A-D-E songs, it is helpful to only focus on one... for now.
Old 07-22-2022, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Whatever works best for you!!!

I play that chord with numerous fingerings, depending on what comes both before and after that chord:

Fingers From 4th string to 2nd string:

Old 07-22-2022, 01:31 PM

Is that 2-1-3 A the "James Taylor" A chord I've heard about?
Old 07-22-2022, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

I had to pick up a guitar to find out what I do.
Apparently I do the same as Justin.

With this shape there is better string spacing and you have two easy options to add /reduce to an A7.
AFAIK there are o "rules" as to how one should finger 1st position chords but there would seem to me o be a more logical one with flexibility depending on when precedes and/or follows it, and the way your hand addresses the fretboard.
Old 07-22-2022, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watchman View Post
Is that 2-1-3 A the "James Taylor" A chord I've heard about?
Beat me to it. When I saw him playing it that way, I sat up and marveled. I think it helps the B - C# hammer-on/off.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 07-22-2022, 01:48 PM

I usually use my ring finger to hold down the 3 strings; I sometimes use my index or middle finger. I rarely use 3 or 2 fingers. I learned the ring finger A 10 years ago; it allows easy barre with the index finger for other chords based on the A shape.
Old 07-22-2022, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackC1 View Post
I usually use my ring finger to hold down the 3 strings
I should give that a try too!
Old 07-22-2022, 02:08 PM

I default to playing that position's open A with 2-3-4 unless I need 4 to be somewhere else. I dislike the 2-1-3, as it's a bit clunky for me.
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 07-22-2022, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseflesh View Post
I started learning with online resources including JustinGuitar. Justin recommends the "new" A fingering:

Lately I have started taking lessons and my instructor has very diplomatically tried to tell me she thinks the new fingering sucks and I should try to switch to traditional 1-2-3.

In playing it both ways and trying to be objective, it seems to be about even -- there is something to like and dislike about each. The new way is a little harder to get to quickly but I find my fingers fit better and I am less likely to have a string that won't ring clearly. The new way also has the advantage of giving you a consistent anchor finger to E and D.

If I can't switch or don't wanna, my instructor will roll with it, but I do want to give it real consideration.

First off it is not remotely "new"
And second it does not "suck" that is total nonsense, diplomatically or otherwise.
They are just different

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 07-22-2022, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

My default is 1,1,2 just because I learned that way.

I'm not a big fan of 1,2,3-- it can get crowded for me.
Old 07-22-2022, 02:49 PM

I never thought about 1-1-2. I just had to pick up the guitar and try it. There's a lot to like about that shape! 1-2-3 is crowded for me too, it's hard to get the D string to ring cleanly.
Old 07-22-2022, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

I have been playing that new fingering for forty years or more, and I went to it because for me it reduced contact with the adjacent strings. A good thing.

What I tell my Guitars for Vets students is that the important thing is to cover the frets as indicated and there are options for many chords. But I also tell them they might consider this fingering because of the anchor finger described by the OP. One less thing for beginners to think about is a good thing.

Do what you want, but I suggest you pose this question for your instructor: why? What is the downside of this approach as opposed to the traditional fingering? He/she should have an answer and I’d be interested in what it is.
Old 07-22-2022, 03:55 PM

I've talked with her some about it already. I honestly think she mostly has a beef with it because it's just not her preferred A, which is 1-2-3. I also think most of her students start with her from ground zero, whereas I had worked hard on learning some basics on my own before I found her.

She's concerned that it won't sound as good but the fact is, it is easier for me to get my fingers closer to the fret--once I get 'em on the right strings, which was certainly harder than 1-2-3 at first. (Now, the reverse is true.)

To be fair she's a great player, records commercially, and I truly have no issues with her as an instructor. This A thing is no big deal, she will support my decision. But the opinions of other skilled players here has often been very valuable to me, so I wanted to see if there was anything I was overlooking with regard to either fingering.

But it sounds like the answer is, as with so many guitar techniques, "it depends" ... and I just have to learn everything sooner or later.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write