The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 08-15-2022, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillis View Post
I bought it from Sun Valley guitars in Arizona. They advertise a full set up and their price was decent. They are a sponsor on Mandolin cafe for what that’s worth.
Hi there, another thread revive.
How did you get on with the KM252 ?
I just ordered one after having a go on a friends Mandolin. It was a real bargain, selling cheaper than the 150. A lot of folks dont like the amber finish on the 252
Old 08-15-2022, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Any of the Kentuckys from the KM 150 to the 900 are going to sound very similar. Aesthetic differences mostly. I can not stress the importance for a beginner of having a well set up mandolin. If you did not buy from a source advertising a setup on everything they sell, you need to find a mandolin setup pro. Not all gutiar techs are. Go onto the Mandolin Cafe site, search for Rob Meldrum, and e mail him for his free setup guide. Then decide if you want to do this or take it to a pro.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 08-16-2022, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Any of the Kentuckys from the KM 150 to the 900 are going to sound very similar. Aesthetic differences mostly. I can not stress the importance for a beginner of having a well set up mandolin. If you did not buy from a source advertising a setup on everything they sell, you need to find a mandolin setup pro. Not all gutiar techs are. Go onto the Mandolin Cafe site, search for Rob Meldrum, and e mail him for his free setup guide. Then decide if you want to do this or take it to a pro.
Yes its having a setup. But still a good idea for me to understand whats involved.

I did hear that about the lower end Kentucky's. Almost bought a KM500, but eventually went for the cheapest all solid I could find that included a setup. The 252 seems to be discounted a lot due to the finish.

Last edited by Yamaholic; 08-16-2022 at 01:45 AM.
Old 08-16-2022, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

I bought a closeout Michael Kelley for $200 once, just to practice setup on, and boy did it need it. I ended up doing a fret level and crown on it. It would have taken $200 for a luthier to make it playable. To subject a beginner to one would be to insure failure. I got it to play pretty well and sold it cheap to a college student.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments