The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-14-2022, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
I have two of Stefan’s courses, and really like them….but just cannot get used to his very unusual tab system! (To me, a LINE representing a string is much more intuitive than a SPACE)
I agree but am getting better with it. I also try not using the tabs first and seeing how far I get. Usually I wind up having to use them some.
1990 Guild GF30 Bld Maple Archback
Alvarez AP66
Baby Taylor
G&L ASAT Tribute T-style
Old 07-14-2022, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbeinct View Post
I agree but am getting better with it. I also try not using the tabs first and seeing how far I get. Usually I wind up having to use them some.
Funny you should mention that. I have gone back to the oldest technique: listen, watch the teacher’s hands like a hawk, then imitate. That’s where the Vidami looper has been invaluable. Afterwards, I will going back to the tab for clarification. Over the last few years I have been relying too much on tab and suspect it has inhibited my learning.

Yeah, that’s the ticket - it’s all the tab’s fault that I’m not that good. It was so obvious, how could I have missed it?

Last edited by srick; 07-14-2022 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-15-2022, 06:17 AM

Default Free Options for Looping

Two other options for looping that are free:

The website "Vidrepeat.com". To use this, you have to copy and enter the URL of the YouTube video (found by clicking 'share this video')

or

The Website 'Endlessvideo.com" - same idea.

And I'm sure there are others.

OTOH, the foot pedal makes it so easy, and I'm a sucker for a good gadget.

Last edited by srick; 07-15-2022 at 07:38 AM.
Old 07-17-2022, 09:49 PM
Charter Member

Just noticed this thread since I don’t venture into this sub-forum regularly. I have both the wired/USB version and Bluetooth version of the pedal, and like them both, I use the wired pedal with a laptop and the Bluetooth pedal with an iPad.

I hope that more and more lesson platforms are willing to work with the company, because the pedal is such a useful tool.
Old 07-31-2022, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

I have been using the Blue (...tooth) version of this device with Youtube lessons, and it is brilliant.
First of all, I dithered over the wired vs. wireless, given the cost differential, which is not insubstantial. I am glad I went with the wireless, because it eliminates, well, another wire. When I am using my laptop plugged in, along with wired headphones, the last thing I need is yet another conduit to get tangled in. And, on the floor, you can move the device around with your foot without regard to a tether.
Functionally, it works flawlessly. I never realized how much time it takes, and momentum I lose, when I would take a hand off the guitar to repeat something or change a vid setting. And keeping both hands on a guitar when it is in your lap is just a good thing, in general. I just started working on a YT lesson of Whiskey Before Breakfast. The ability to slow the pace, backtrack and loop a section, all just using a foot, is enormously helpful. Literally like having a third hand. I am new to the device and really look forward to learning and using some of its other functions. But, for now, just having it for YT lessons has been worth the price of admission.
David
Old 07-31-2022, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

^ That pretty much sums it up. I wish I had a Vidami pedal years ago.
Old 08-01-2022, 05:34 AM
Charter Member

Thanks. You know, I understand that it works left-footed as well.
True?
David
Old 08-01-2022, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
Thanks. You know, I understand that it works left-footed as well.
True?
David
Lol! The funny thing is, when I play sitting down I mostly rest my guitar on my left leg, so I end up using the Vidami (and any other pedals, like a wah pedal on an electric guitar) with my right foot!
Old 08-02-2022, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
Lol! The funny thing is, when I play sitting down I mostly rest my guitar on my left leg, so I end up using the Vidami (and any other pedals, like a wah pedal on an electric guitar) with my right foot!
Hmmm....Vidamidexterious.
Respect.
David
Old 08-02-2022, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

^ That’s funny!
Old 08-03-2022, 01:13 PM

FYI - I contacted Stefan Grossman, Happy Traum and Platform Purple, with a request that they reach out to the Vidami folks. And I reached out to Vidami a couple of weeks ago. Everybody has replied, so hopefully they can get together and make the pedal work with Platform Purple. Fingers are crossed.

And anyone reading this can do the same - maybe a few more people contacting them will nudge the needle.

Rick

Last edited by srick; 08-03-2022 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Platform Purple
Old 08-05-2022, 12:51 PM

Default Re: Native Playback Applications in Windows that work with Vidami

I asked support about native applications in Windows. As mentioned previously, Transcribe! is probably one of the best options.

Quote:
We have had several requests from users about making the Vidami compatible with VLC Player, QuickTime, and other local video playback programs that can play MP4 videos directly from a computer.

Although we haven't developed any functionality specifically for VLC Media Player, it seems that users are able to configure HotKeys (remap key commands) from within the VLC preferences that will allow devices like the Vidami to control it. We have seen that there have been some security issues associated with vulnerabilities the VLC software, so please inform yourself before making a decision about using VLC.
Old 08-16-2022, 06:36 AM

This just in: The folks from Platform Purple (Homespun and Stefan Grossman Platform) are working on the integration right now!

Never underestimate the power of nice e-mails and gentle persuasion.

Rick
Old 08-18-2022, 01:26 AM

I use the usb version. I recommend.
Old 08-20-2022, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

I just ordered the USB version because I don't trust Bluetooth. I bought a B/T pagetuner pedal that work pretty good most of the time. Anyway I look forward to hands free manipulation of Y/T videos and the ton of lessons I've bought over the years from SG's Guitar Workshop.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write