The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-13-2022, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

If you have just one guitar, it is pretty much "your favorite." Wood or carbon fiber. Seems that many of us here are fortunate to have multiple guitars. I have "my favorites" of both wood and CF, but that changes according to what sound I'm looking for. I did buy that first carbon fiber guitar because I thought it would travel better than the Taylor GSmini I was playing as my boat guitar... and quickly came to appreciate the sound of the cabon fiber as much as the durability. The next 3 carbon fiber guitars I bought were first for the sound, but I was quickly hooked on the Emerald ergonomics, as well.

I think the tone of my Emerald X20 is every bit as pleasing at the tone of my Taylor 814... but I pick up the X20 more often because of the comfort.

Whatever reason brings you to carbon fiber works.
Old 08-14-2022, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Why Carbon Fiber? It sounds good, is durable, and is pretty much carefree! Here's your Enya X4 Pro AcousticPlus low-cost introduction to carbon fiber/composite guitars that I'm sure will bring a smile to your face and your credit card: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=650773
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 08-14-2022 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-14-2022, 11:01 PM
Charter Member

The three acoustics I play the most are my Martin 00-18, Taylor 322e 12 Fret, and RainSong. The Martin is from 1950 and sounds amazing, the Taylor has a nice sound, and is so easy to play. Of the three, I really like the combination of the RainSong being 12 fret, cutaway, 1 3/4” nut, and 24.875” scale length. It has the lowest action, and like my Martin, is very sensitive and responsive, with lots and lots of headroom. And unlike the two wood guitars, it always sounds great independent of the temperature or humidity, and the tuning is so stable.
When I first played the RainSong, I wasn’t so moved. Thankfully I recorded me playing and singing with my iPhone, and listened to it later that evening on my laptop with nice earbuds. What I heard was a little different then what I was used to with wood guitars, but I really liked the quality and presence of its sound, and went back the next day and bought it. I’m so glad I did.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 08-20-2022, 11:44 PM

For me, it's the functionality. I am a music therapist and travel all over everyday with my guitar and play in all sorts of settings: inside, outside, 1 on 1 settings and with groups. With a carbon fiber guitar, I don't have to worry about temperature, humidity or the guitar getting banged up. And sometimes, it's an ice breaker when someone asks, "Oh! I've never seen a guitar like that...what kind of guitar is it?"
Old 08-21-2022, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

I just returned from a 4-day road trip to attend a couple funerals (bummer) and a family reunion. Those stops were between hotel stays, so a guitar had to stay in the car for at least a few hours. With predicted temps in the mid 90Fs I'd never leave a wood guitar in the car like that. So I took my Journey CF. No worries.
Old 08-23-2022, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Q: Why fiber?

A: It keeps you regular.

For the geezers among us, this is important. What do we mean by "regular"? Well, there is the obvious, but when referring to guitars, it means that no matter the weather conditions, there is always a guitar at hand to play regularly.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber