The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-06-2022, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

Default B string ringing

Recently my steel string has developed a faint, but noticeable ringing sound on my open B string.

It is only noticeable as the plucked string fades and it sounds like the faint ringing of a cell phone.

It is only the open B, not any other B or the fretted B string. So not a wolf note.

It seemed noticeable after new strings, so I suspect it is that, but I have used the same brand and gauge before without it (Straight up Strings medium). Humidity has been a little higher than usual as well.

Anyway, I was just interested in more knowledgeable thoughts before I throw away a brand new, hardly used set of strings. Maybe I can get them to send me just a spare B…
Old 08-06-2022, 10:40 AM

I would guess it's a poorly cut nut slot. Could also be a burr on the saddle where the B string crosses.
Old 08-06-2022, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnjp View Post
I would guess it's a poorly cut nut slot. Could also be a burr on the saddle where the B string crosses.
Widen the string slot by a few thou'', to now accept the new strings diameter BUT...avoid unintentionally deepening it!{This will lower the 'Action', the strings height which should remain as is!]

As is.. the string is 'Binding' in its slot. Impeding its tone hence the Tonal change now audible.
The slot walls are 'strangulating'...stopping the string from vibrating freely, hence the 'impaired' tone resulting when the string is played 'OPEN'. The note will sound 'PURE' when now fretted etc but IMPURE when played 'OPEN'
String bind is more audibly obvious on the unwound/treble strings etc.but it can still 'occur' on wound strings just because of the string slot not being wide enough to fully accept the string etc.

With care one can resolve this simple issue but if you 'unintentionally' deepen the slot, then the NUT will have to be replaced and the 6 string slots now filed to their correct depth again!
One can use superglue+ baking soda as a quick fix cement etc but looks unsightly=replace the nut etc to look as good as new etc is really the wiser option.
Old 08-06-2022, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Sounds plausible. Except the saddle and nut haven’t changed and other strings didn’t do the same. Both saddle and nut are bone.

I did send a message to SUS to see if they would send me a new B string.
Old 08-06-2022, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

I polished the nut slot with fine sand paper and put a little lubricant on it. No change.

The oddest thing, it is so like a cell phone that I keep thinking someone is calling my wife or something every time I play.

It is most noticeable when practicing and blends into the background if a play a song. Problem is, I am a beginner and need to practice a lot.

Roger Siminoff of Straight Up Strings already got back to me and offered to send a free B string and a free back up full set. Such excellent service and I do like their strings a lot. Best for me so far.

I will probably take him up on it (at least the B string), but wanted to try the nut fix first.

Thanks for the input!
Old 08-06-2022, 02:23 PM

I had a similar situation, on the same string, and didn't adequately resolve it.
Widening the nut slot for that string is not likely to help, I think. Maybe too obvious, but make sure the vibrating length of the string is actually defined at the very end of the nut. I'm interested in what others have to say on this.

Last edited by Carey; 08-06-2022 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-06-2022, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Try a different room. Something may be resonating at that frequency.

Long shot, but stranger things have happened.
Old 08-06-2022, 03:12 PM

If a string gets even the tiniest nick it can cause what you're describing. Of course it could also be something else.
Old 08-06-2022, 03:52 PM

New strings can be thou'' wider when manufactured etc..A Thou'' is enough to not fit the slot 100% as before., thus accomadate the 'new' string accordingly=Widen the slot BUT AVOID DEEPENING IT!
Lubrication won't change the slots width????.
The difference 'between' the original string & replacement/new is/will be invisible to the eye!
The cause of the presumable& common '' issue '' IS the slot itself!

The strings specific EXIT point from the slot must be perfect.,...Not before nor after where the string EXITS the slot.It 'AFFECTS'' the actual 'scale length' of the string! Thus the string has an angle etc following the slot base [it too slopes at the same angle etc]& then it EXITS the slot itself is which is where..the scale length is measured from to...the saddle, its peak! Change either one or the other affects the actual 'INTONATION' of the string. etc.At the nut it is static but at the saddle it is 'staggered subtly!...
The electric gtr has adjustable saddles to adjust for the intonation but the acoustic gtr does not!
Old 08-06-2022, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guitar View Post
Try a different room. Something may be resonating at that frequency.

Long shot, but stranger things have happened.

I am in a very reflective corner of an open floor plan long and narrow house. If I record there and my wife runs water at the kitchen sink 50 feet away, it is louder in the recording than the guitar!
However, this is where I have practiced for the last year and a half and the ringing noise only recently started.
Old 08-06-2022, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the input Tuch. I will look closer at the takeoff of the string. I did widen it a titch, but a very small one. Maybe it needs a bit more attention, but it was cut by a local luthier in set up not too long ago (the ringing is much more recent, however).

If a new string doesn’t solve it, I will probably bring it back to the luthier. I don’t have enough knowledge or tools to do more than a bare minimum. Not worth screwing it up and needing a whole new nut again.
Old 08-08-2022, 08:00 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamolay View Post
Thanks for the input Tuch. I will look closer at the takeoff of the string. I did widen it a titch, but a very small one. Maybe it needs a bit more attention, but it was cut by a local luthier in set up not too long ago (the ringing is much more recent, however).

If a new string doesn’t solve it, I will probably bring it back to the luthier. I don’t have enough knowledge or tools to do more than a bare minimum. Not worth screwing it up and needing a whole new nut again.
How do you mute your strings BEHIND the nut?

Or don’t you?

I’ve noticed the identical sound you’re describing for over 40 years, about which time I started putting felt underneath the strings in back of the nut.

Now I only hear those noises in back of the capo when on the 3rd fret or higher.

Best,
Howard Emerson
Old 08-08-2022, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

You can try a few things to see if you can isolate the noise. Such as: Lift the string out of the nut slot and rest it on the nut, at pitch. Or: Lift the string out of the groove it has made in the saddle and place it alongside the groove, at pitch.

I do wonder if compensating the B string at the saddle is sometimes the cause of these B string woes. I have recently replaced two compensated saddles with old fashioned round topped saddles, and I'm sure that the b strings became more mellow and full on both guitars. And, before you ask, I have not noticed any intonation issues whilst playing (most likely because of my playing style) and I am pretty fussy about tuning/intonation/temperament.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair