The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-07-2021, 07:44 AM

Default Seagull string buzz

Hello, I am new to the forum. I found many tips already so thanks.

I have a seagull entourage that buzzed since new with the original Godin strings and also Daddario EJ16.
I thought it was me since I have only played acoustic for 1.5 years and infrequent practicing until covid.

I purchased a Yamaha travel guitar that stopped buzzing when I installed EJ16. That made me read the forum here for some advice.

FYI-My guitar teacher John Weston at Barn studio Music (temp closed due to covid). Has often told me I strum too hard so this problem may not happen to other Seagull owners. (I lift weights and I'm a stocky guy)

Anyhow, I changed the strings from daddario EJ16 light to medium EJ17. The buzzing is almost eliminated. I have some saddle wear and a replacement but I wanted to do things one at a time, scientific like. Next string change I will install saddle too.

I have some tools on order for the neck and string measurements Especially since I installed mediums it may have changed.

Thanks again for your help.
So much useful info on the forum.
Covid 19 #17 Stacy Mitchhart signed Cigar Box
Hinkler 3 String Electric Blues Box Slide Guitar Kit (Amazon)
Old 03-07-2021, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun1973 View Post
Hello, I am new to the forum. I found many tips already so thanks.

I have a seagull entourage that buzzed since new with the original Godin strings and also Daddario EJ16.
I thought it was me since I have only played acoustic for 1.5 years and infrequent practicing until covid.

I purchased a Yamaha travel guitar that stopped buzzing when I installed EJ16. That made me read the forum here for some advice.

FYI-My guitar teacher John Weston at Barn studio Music (temp closed due to covid). Has often told me I strum too hard so this problem may not happen to other Seagull owners. (I lift weights and I'm a stocky guy)

Anyhow, I changed the strings from daddario EJ16 light to medium EJ17. The buzzing is almost eliminated. I have some saddle wear and a replacement but I wanted to do things one at a time, scientific like. Next string change I will install saddle too.

I have some tools on order for the neck and string measurements Especially since I installed mediums it may have changed.

Thanks again for your help.
So much useful info on the forum.
Strumming hard can certainly bring out a buzz that may not have been noticable before. Being big or strong has nothing to do with how hard you strum, it's just a habit. The hardest strummers I have heard (which does not sound good to my ears!) have been sticks!

String brand is unlikely to change much other than if one set has a higher tension than the other. The biggest string difference is moving up gauges which increases tension so the strings flop around less, that is likely why you found that moving up a gauge worked.

It's not really a Seagull thing, guitars need setups, thats all there is to it. My $3000 Guild has a string buzz on a couple strings, it needs a good setup, fret levelling etc.
Sometimes the buzz can be fixed by a little tweak with the truss rod, maybe the fretboard is too flat or the action is too low or something. If I were you I would bring it in for a good setup, then you would have a good starting ground for knowing the right levels and adjustments. If you do, you can bring it in to be setup with whatever string gauge you prefer. Mediums are way to chunky for my liking personally, but some people love them. I like custom lights (.11's). You can certainly try your own setup as well, just do small increments!

Hope some of this helps, good luck!
Old 03-07-2021, 08:55 AM

I second the motion to have the guitar set up by a professional. All in favor, signify by saying "Aye."
Old 03-07-2021, 09:02 AM

Shaun, Welcome to the AGF!

+3 on getting the guitar setup. You might just need a truss rod adjustment. Humidity changes throughout the season that you'll see in Barrie can impact any guitar with fret buzzing.

BTW, Seagull are great guitars, no reason why you can't get yours setup properly to your playing style.
Old 03-07-2021, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
Strumming hard can certainly bring out a buzz that may not have been noticable before. Being big or strong has nothing to do with how hard you strum, it's just a habit. The hardest strummers I have heard (which does not sound good to my ears!) have been sticks!

String brand is unlikely to change much other than if one set has a higher tension than the other. The biggest string difference is moving up gauges which increases tension so the strings flop around less, that is likely why you found that moving up a gauge worked.

It's not really a Seagull thing, guitars need setups, thats all there is to it. My $3000 Guild has a string buzz on a couple strings, it needs a good setup, fret levelling etc.
Sometimes the buzz can be fixed by a little tweak with the truss rod, maybe the fretboard is too flat or the action is too low or something. If I were you I would bring it in for a good setup, then you would have a good starting ground for knowing the right levels and adjustments. If you do, you can bring it in to be setup with whatever string gauge you prefer. Mediums are way to chunky for my liking personally, but some people love them. I like custom lights (.11's). You can certainly try your own setup as well, just do small increments!

Hope some of this helps, good luck!
This is good advice. There may not be enough relief in the neck and this is fixed with a simple 1/8 - 1/4 turn of the truss rod. The fact that heavier strings ease a lot of the buzzing tells me the neck is too straight. Heavier strings cause more bend in the neck (aka relief).

If you have any dented frets from playing, these will cause buzzing. Same thing with high and low frets.

I'm a vigorous rhythm player too. This style of playing requires a bit more string height than other styles, like finger pickers. Check your frets for dents and adjust your truss rod, IME, these 2 things cause 90% of buzzing problems.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 03-07-2021, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Someone here is more adept than I am and can send a link to Charles Tauber's latest article on setups.

I, too, was new here a year or so ago. Reading and studying his article has increased my knowledge and skill and confidence to do more hands-on work on my (growing number of) guitars. For the jobs that are beyond my competence, I understand them better.

Welcome to AGF!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion