The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-06-2021, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Default Anyone played the Brondels at LuthiersCollection?

Mostly I am interested in the Permanbuco and Cocobolo A2 models. I was thinking about a Collings T and noticed these -- maybe I can make the stretch. The demos sound great of the Brondels I've heard. You can only tell so much from that, unfortunatley. Are these worth contemplating over a great Collings or the like? Laurent's philosphy on guitar sound seems right up my alley, and his being a great player inspires some confidence.
Old 03-07-2021, 02:31 AM
Charter Member

Nice choice to have to make!

I haven’t played the ones you mention but have played other Brondel and Collings guitars and I feel they are quite different guitars. Both good, but different. Brondels I found to be lighter in build and more responsive than Collings, with a slightly retro sound but not as “Martiny” as Collings.

But I suggest you PM Justonwo, here on the Forum. He knows heaps about Brondels and how they compare with other guitars.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Nice choice to have to make!

I haven’t played the ones you mention but have played other Brondel and Collings guitars and I feel they are quite different guitars. Both good, but different. Brondels I found to be lighter in build and more responsive than Collings, with a slightly retro sound but not as “Martiny” as Collings.

But I suggest you PM Justonwo, here on the Forum. He knows heaps about Brondels and how they compare with other guitars.
Thanks colins, I tend to be skeptical of the pricey stuff. A couple of demos have really impressed me of Laurents guitars, so perhaps the extra cost is justified.
Old 03-07-2021, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

I’ve played a couple. Mike is one of the best guys out there and his commission is quite lower than most as well as his home is his shop so his costs are low. Therefore he can offer great guitars at a lower price. I don’t want to tell you which I’ve played because I’m thinking of buying one! Well, just kind of kidding, but Laurent makes incredible guitars, which flavor would you like. He has Cocobolo, Maccassar Ebony, and Pernambuco...you literally can’t go wrong, but I love that little D-3c, oh and the Cocobolo one is really great too...
Old 03-08-2021, 12:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboyjimi View Post
I’ve played a couple. Mike is one of the best guys out there and his commission is quite lower than most as well as his home is his shop so his costs are low. Therefore he can offer great guitars at a lower price. I don’t want to tell you which I’ve played because I’m thinking of buying one! Well, just kind of kidding, but Laurent makes incredible guitars, which flavor would you like. He has Cocobolo, Maccassar Ebony, and Pernambuco...you literally can’t go wrong, but I love that little D-3c, oh and the Cocobolo one is really great too...
Yeah, plus one for Mike Joyce. A visit to his 'showroom' is memorable, as you can try the cream of fine guitars side by side, and Mike is a laid back, friendly and knowledgeable person to talk with. I guess that's why I bought a guitar on my last visit!

And fregly, I do think Brondels are rather special. I played a bunch of Justonwo's once, and was really taken by their feel and tone.
Old 03-08-2021, 05:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboyjimi View Post
I am leaning toward the A2 Permanbuco Adi, the one with the colouration at the sides of the topboard (if I am remembering which one is which).
Old 03-08-2021, 05:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Yeah, plus one for Mike Joyce. A visit to his 'showroom' is memorable, as you can try the cream of fine guitars side by side, and Mike is a laid back, friendly and knowledgeable person to talk with. I guess that's why I bought a guitar on my last visit!

And fregly, I do think Brondels are rather special. I played a bunch of Justonwo's once, and was really taken by their feel and tone.
Yes that seems a perfect way to show guitars, as I am never crazy about going to regular shops with the noise and competing players and so on. I suspect you are more likely to figure out what a guitar is really all about in a layed back homey atmosphere where you can probably relax and concentrate and hear better.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion