The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-05-2021, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsay777 View Post
I have turned an unhealthy over weight body into a perfect weight normal blood pressure healthy body. (verified at the annual med check up) by using advice from some of the previously mentioned "Quacks"

Intermittent fasting
Mostly plant based diet
medium protein
limiting carbs
fiber rich foods
Dr recommended supplements
Good for you!
There can be a lot of misinformation and for sure, subjective opinions on any forum.
Nobody has all the answers.
I will be the first to say do what works for you. Nothing about what you just laid out has any red flags that I can see.
Maximizing your health is a personal matter including how far you want to go. To me, anything better than eating junk and not exercising is more than acceptable. After that, it’s an individual choice...period.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-06-2021, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

I found the keto diet (the book Grain Brain has a good version) great for losing weight, with no additional exercise needed. It’s also an easy diet to follow.

The theory behind low carb diets is that the body will be forced to burn fat for energy. When carbs are higher, the body burns them first, and stores the fat.

But as Dirk says, carbs like fruit are tasty and nutritious, and I discovered that when I started exercising again - running and cycling - adding carbs back in boosted my performance and my weight stayed the same.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 03-06-2021, 11:05 AM

I'm coming off knee surgery and the resulting limited mobility contributed to a weight gain of about 10-12 pounds (along with the incredibly wonderful food my wife cooks). I have already lost about 5 lbs of it by simply not eating between meals (when I have the willpower to do so.)

On a related note, I don't know if this would apply to anyone else but when I gave up drinking alcoholic beverages, my blood pressure dropped right down into the good range. I think I also dropped a few pounds along the way which probably helped a bit too but I no longer take BP medicine.

I wish you the best in losing poundage, as it isn't as easy or as fun as it was to put it on!

Best,
PJ
Old 03-06-2021, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
I found the keto diet (the book Grain Brain has a good version) great for losing weight, with no additional exercise needed. It’s also an easy diet to follow.

The theory behind low carb diets is that the body will be forced to burn fat for energy. When carbs are higher, the body burns them first, and stores the fat.

But as Dirk says, carbs like fruit are tasty and nutritious, and I discovered that when I started exercising again - running and cycling - adding carbs back in boosted my performance and my weight stayed the same.
Yeah much of the initial weight loss on a Keto diet comes from water, so people get results quickly and it’s very appealing. Because it’s water weight, for many the weight loss becomes temporary. And yes, bodies more easily and readily burn carbs for energy, that’s their role. Not eating fat to excess solves the fat storage issue. Plant fats are wrapped in fiber and antioxidants and as such digest slower and don’t create the inflammation animal fats create, which is part of why one sees far less chronic disease in such diets. And yes, for athletic performance, carbs are a no brainer. I tried keto for 6 months. Lost weight for sure. But then, if you basically eliminate a macronutrient from your diet you’re going to be consuming fewer calories and lose weight. My athletic performance went through the floor and it took me months to recover. Not for me.
Old 03-06-2021, 03:00 PM

Update:
I’m chugging along at -9 lbs. in just over three weeks with no noticeable loss of muscle.
Apples are my friends these days.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-06-2021, 04:09 PM

I second that stopping alcohol does nothing but good to the body and overall health. Since I wasn't capable of just having "a couple" of drinks I had no choice but to leave it alone.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:30 AM

Quote:
I second that stopping alcohol does nothing but good to the body and overall health. Since I wasn't capable of just having "a couple" of drinks I had no choice but to leave it alone.
That’s great!
I really never drank more than a couple of beers at a time but they were potent I.P.A.’s and it was getting to be three to four times a week.
To some, that may seem insignificant.
I miss those beers, but my health and well-being mean more to me.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-20-2021, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

I've found two things that help. If you can get up and take walk after eating that supposedly boosts your metabolic rate. The other is sex. Heard this on the opening of a "Cheers" show one night. The boys are sitting at the bar one discussing the best ways to lose weight, Carla walks by and says "sex". Someone asks if she really thinks that it burns that many calories, She says - "No, I miss it so much I can't eat." Bada Boom Bada Bing!
Old 03-21-2021, 04:33 PM

Quote:
This is truth.
Old 03-21-2021, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaharadelta View Post
I've found two things that help. If you can get up and take walk after eating that supposedly boosts your metabolic rate.
That's not the half of it. The bigger issue is that a "brisk" walk will drop your blood sugar. if it's a habit, you will lower your insulin levels throughout the day. More likely to burn fat, and less likely to add fat.
Old 03-25-2021, 04:07 AM

I'm 6'1" and over the last 10 years my weight increased significantly. I was on meds for high blood pressure and generally in bad physical shape weighing in at 287lbs in Feb 2020. During a winter biker rally in February, I felt so ill and weak I wouldn't have managed to walk to the first-aid caravan if I needed to. By chance I watched a TV program which looked at the most effective diets. A dietician suggested dividing your plate into 4- 1 quarter carbs, 1 quarter protein and half for vegetables. I started this regime along with cutting down on carbs during the day and evening. Also started walking more gradually building up to around 3 miles a day. To cut a long story short, I'm now down to 210lbs, have stopped taking blood pressure meds and don't have problems with my ankles or breathlessness anymore. I guess for me it was finding something simple that would work and also the mental kick up the backside that I needed. I still need to get rid of my (much reduced) beer gut and aim to shed another 14 lbs this year. The only downside is I need to buy a new set of bike gear.......
Old 03-25-2021, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-E View Post
...The only downside is I need to buy a new set of bike gear.......
Nice problem to have!

Great job on the weight loss. I agree that it doesn't have to be complicated. Eat less and better (real food), and move your butt. But it does have to be a lifestyle change, not a diet.
Old 03-25-2021, 06:55 AM

I’m surprised this thread is still nudging along.
I have lost a total of ten pounds and kinda’ hit a wall which is normal for me. I would like to lose about five morepounds and be right around 18% body fat.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-25-2021, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

I couldn't kick my fast food addiction but then moved to a place an hour+ from the nearest burger joint. I've not had more than one beer at a time in forever and do 40 minutes of cardio multiple times a week.

In the aftermath of kicking my 2 pack a day habit in 2002 I got up tp 218 pounds... now at 153 and 11% bodyfat.

Fun fact, Colorado or Hawaii is the least obese of the 50 United States. 30 years ago their 20% obesity rate would have ranked them as the fattest.

Last edited by Mr. Paul; 03-25-2021 at 07:03 AM.
Old 03-25-2021, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
I couldn't kick my fast food addiction but then moved to a place an hour+ from the nearest burger joint. I've not had more than one beer at a time in forever and do 40 minutes of cardio multiple times a week.

In the aftermath of kicking my 2 pack a day habit in 2002 I got up tp 218 pounds... now at 153 and 11% bodyfat.

Fun fact, Colorado or Hawaii is the least obese of the 50 United States. 30 years ago their 20% obesity rate would have ranked them as the fattest.
Are you sure about that 11%?
You would look like the picture of the guy on the top right.

https://kubexfitness.com/blog/body-f...lly-look-like/

That’s pretty lean. Just curious.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic