The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-21-2021, 07:48 PM

Default CA GXi5

Hi CF guitar lovers.

I am interested in a used CA GXi5 but came out with nothing after I did a search here.
Hope to get to know more about this guitar. According to seller this is a Matte finish, pre-Peavey model?
I presently have a Emerald X30 (1st Gen) Rainsong H-WS1000, Journey OF660. Do I still need this?

https://www.carousell.sg/p/composite...&t-tap_index=0

You feed back is most welcome.
Old 02-21-2021, 11:54 PM

I had a pre-peavey CA GX, but not the GXi with the offset sound hole, mine had a regular sound hole and was gloss. I found it to be a extremely robust and reliable guitar, although it took me a while to find the right strings - in my case, I unded up with John Pearse 80/20s. Changing stings made more of a difference than on "regular" guitar, imho.
It was my main guitar for a long time, but eventually sold it to fund other purchases as other guitars became favored. It was pretty indestructible though - the case suffered way more than the guitar, and it travelled far and wide.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 02-22-2021, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Gentlemen View Post

I presently have a Emerald X30 (1st Gen) Rainsong H-WS1000, Journey OF660.

Do I still need this?

https://www.carousell.sg/p/composite...&t-tap_index=0

You feed back is most welcome.

Hi MG

My opinion is that the CA GX overlaps your RainSong H-WS.

The CA GX is only a bit smaller (16" x 20" x 4.7", 25.5" scale, 1.75" or 1.69" nut) than the RainSong H-WS (15.75" x 19.5" x 5", 25.4" scale, 1.75" nut).

I've played a variety of carbon fibre guitars at local stores (CA: OX, Cargo; RainSong: H-DR, CH-WS, CH-OM, CH-PA, PA-14; McPherson: Kevin Michael aka Sable, Touring; Journey: OH660; KLOS: Travel size, Full size, tenor ukulele), and own a RainSong H-DR/T and a CA Cargo.

My conclusion was that carbon fibre guitars sound as nice/loud as mahogany/maple guitars in the same price and size range. Outliers were the McPherson KM (priciest) which sounded nicest but bit quiet, and the KLOS (most affordable) is a bit brash. Strings and picks change the tone as usual and it was fun to experiment.

So I'm guessing that you won't find a worthwhile difference in tone between the CA GX and the H-WS. But hey! You might be curious enough to check it out! Since you and the seller are both in Singapore would it be possible to compare the guitars directly ?

H-WS and X30 are a great combination and I'd love to try an X30. And I'm tempted to order an Enya X4 to try the Double Acoustisonic sound effects, and find out if a Double is worth installing on the H-DR.

Cheers.

Old 02-22-2021, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post
I had a pre-peavey CA GX, but not the GXi with the offset sound hole, mine had a regular sound hole and was gloss. I found it to be a extremely robust and reliable guitar, although it took me a while to find the right strings - in my case, I unded up with John Pearse 80/20s. Changing stings made more of a difference than on "regular" guitar, imho.
It was my main guitar for a long time, but eventually sold it to fund other purchases as other guitars became favored. It was pretty indestructible though - the case suffered way more than the guitar, and it travelled far and wide.
Thanks tdq.
Thank you for you feedback
sounds like a keeper.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Thanks tdq.
Thank you for you feedback
sounds like a keeper.
...but he didn't keep it?
Old 02-22-2021, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualmusic View Post
Hi MG

My opinion is that the CA GX overlaps your RainSong H-WS.

The CA GX is only a bit smaller (16" x 20" x 4.7", 25.5" scale, 1.75" or 1.69" nut) than the RainSong H-WS (15.75" x 19.5" x 5", 25.4" scale, 1.75" nut).

I've played a variety of carbon fibre guitars at local stores (CA: OX, Cargo; RainSong: H-DR, CH-WS, CH-OM, CH-PA, PA-14; McPherson: Kevin Michael aka Sable, Touring; Journey: OH660; KLOS: Travel size, Full size, tenor ukulele), and own a RainSong H-DR/T and a CA Cargo.

My conclusion was that carbon fibre guitars sound as nice/loud as mahogany/maple guitars in the same price and size range. Outliers were the McPherson KM (priciest) which sounded nicest but bit quiet, and the KLOS (most affordable) is a bit brash. Strings and picks change the tone as usual and it was fun to experiment.

So I'm guessing that you won't find a worthwhile difference in tone between the CA GX and the H-WS. But hey! You might be curious enough to check it out! Since you and the seller are both in Singapore would it be possible to compare the guitars directly ?

H-WS and X30 are a great combination and I'd love to try an X30. And I'm tempted to order an Enya X4 to try the Double Acoustisonic sound effects, and find out if a Double is worth installing on the H-DR.

Cheers.

Hi CM.
Thanks for the reply.
H-WS is a good guitar. i had some issues and after contacting with Rainsong, they sent me a brand new copy.
My X30 is with a standard soundhole in the middle, unlike recent version using the enlarged X20 body. Both are worth keeping.

For your curiousity of the X30, below is a cover I did with it (K&K mini) It records very well to my likings. Unplugged is also lovely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sg8QQJQWbk

Enya is gaining grounds here. They have HPL, Solid Tops and CF. If you wish to buy direct, you may try here:

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000532901875.html
Old 02-22-2021, 07:34 PM
Anticipation Junkie

As a point of clarification, the GXi started out named “7iM” or even maybe “5i”, assuming the GXi moniker sometime in ‘08 (pre-Peavey). This may be important as you search...don’t search for “GXi5”.

March ‘08, soon after its introduction, I bought a new CA Cargo RT. The pic below was taken the day I got it. I was so enamored with it that by early fall of that year, I ordered its big brother, a GXi in gloss tobacco burst finish (no barn door electronics). I had it from Nov. ‘08 until late ‘12. The pic below was taken just before I sold it. A beautiful looking guitar with great finish. Loved the neck, easy to play. Nice, comfortable body ergonomics. Overall, I quite liked it, very pronounced bass, but which could sometimes overwhelm the mids. A tad on the heavy side, as is typical of CAs. I only sold it to fund an Emerald Chimaera 6/12 doubleneck (also now gone). I don’t miss the GXi though.

The GXi/7iM/5i (depending on the year built) in the link that you’re considering has what CA called the “Road Tough (RT)” finish. It’s a pre-Peavey model (somewhere between ‘08 and ‘10) because Peavey didn’t offer the RT finish. It’s not matte per se, rather like a fine sandpaper as per my Cargo RT. Mine is dark grey, it’s sitting beside me as I type this. I really like the Cargo and it’s finish. It’s really tough, no worry. I’m not up on the going prices for a GXi, but at the asking price, it seems quite expensive...it’s not like it’s a more expensive GXi like I had with the high-gloss finish (see pic of the one I had).

Given the brands/models options available today, I doubt I’d order another GXi, but if I did want another CA, I’d likely want to try a GX (center soundhole) because I suspect the bass would be a little less with the guitar being better balanced.

Hope this helps some.

Last edited by Acousticado; 07-07-2022 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
...but he didn't keep it?
Well... he knows better, but I'll keep her
Old 02-22-2021, 08:37 PM

Quote:

For your curiousity of the X30, below is a cover I did with it (K&K mini) It records very well to my likings. Unplugged is also lovely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sg8QQJQWbk
Cool to see an older Emerald in action. Thanks for posting that.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
...don’t search for “GXi5”.

in the link that you’re considering has what CA called the “Road Tough (RT)” finish... but at the asking price, it seems quite expensive...it’s not like it’s a more expensive GXi like I had with the high-gloss finish (see pic of the one I had).

I’d likely want to try a GX (center soundhole) because I suspect the bass would be a little less with the guitar being better balanced.

Hope this helps some.
Thank You Sir. Helps a plenty.
One Question. IIRC, I did cam across some threads that I'd read that matte finish will enhance some noise from the body/arm movement. Is it that bad?
All 3 CF guitar I have now are gloss finish.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumokids View Post
Cool to see an older Emerald in action. Thanks for posting that.
Thank You, Sir
Old 02-22-2021, 08:59 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Thank You Sir. Helps a plenty.
One Question. IIRC, I did cam across some threads that I'd read that matte finish will enhance some noise from the body/arm movement. Is it that bad?
All 3 CF guitar I have now are gloss finish.
I vaguely remember some mention of this, but not that it was much of a concern. I don’t plug in, I don’t notice at all while I’m playing, so it’s a non-issue for me. I really like the finish.

Member tbeltrans owns a few Cargos as does Kramster, and SongwriterFan has one still I think, likely some with the RT finish so hopefully they’ll see this thread and chime-in with an opinion.
Old 02-23-2021, 01:02 PM

I was in the market for a CA guitar years ago. Really liked the body shape and back contour of the GX and GXi over their dreads, even though I do some bluegrass picking. I contacted the company and they suggested the GX would have a more clear tone for picking and be more versatile than the bass heavy GXi. I've played a few of the Road Tough finished guitars and really like the appearance and lack of fingerprints.

If it is a "5" model then it's bottom of the line in features, and that asking price is not only high, but almost certainly more than it was new. Here are some notes on the model line from about 2008 or so. The SN dates that guitar to 2009.

CA Guitars 2008 Line-up:
The Cargo is the travel sized guitar. The 5-8 series represent "quality/price" so-to-speak and not size. Within each series you can order 3 different sizes:
L size("large") = dreadnaught
M size ("medium") = Grand Auditorium cutaway
S size ("Small") = Thin Body Cutaway
XS size = extra small body
C = cutaway
E = electronics
*On the 8 series the dreadnaught can also be ordered in "Vintage" or "Bluegrass"

CARGO
Bracing: Integrated top bracing
Tuners: Gotoh 381
Finish: Solid RT Finish available in Red, Green, Wine, Charcoal and Natural
Inlay: Aluminum Side Dots
Electronics: optional Fishman Acoustic Matrix VT
Case: Gig Bag
Scale length: 22 3/4
Nut width: 1 3/4
body width: 13 1/2
frets: stainless medium
depth: 4
overall length: 35
saddle space: 2 1/4

XS-C or XS-CE

Series 5
Bracing: Standard X bracing
Finish: RT Finish with Carbon rosette and binding available in Red, Wine, Charcoal and Natural
Inlay: Aluminum Side Dots, top dots 12 fret
Electronics: Fishman Acoustic Matrix VT
Scale length: 25 1/2

5S-CE (X). 5M-CE (GX), 5L-E (dread)

Series 6
Bracing: Standard X bracing
Finish: RT Finish with Tribal design available in Red, Wine, Charcoal
Electronics: Fishman Acoustic Matrix VT

6S-CE (X). 6M-CE (GX), 6L-E (dread)

Series 7
Bracing: Performance Tuned bracing
Finish: Gloss finish with Carbon Burst
Electronics: Fishman Ellipse VT
Case: hard case

7S-CE (X). 7M-CE (GX), 7L-E (dread)

Series 8
Bracing: Performance Tuned bracing
Tuners: Gotoh 503
Finish: Gloss finish with Carbon Burst and Carbon Reveal Binding
Inlay: Aluminum Side Dots, shell top dots, shell soundhole ring
Electronics: LR Baggs Imix
Case: hard case

8S-CE (X). 8M-CE (GX), 8L-E (dread)
also:
8LV-E (vintage) and 8LB (bluegrass)

From a 2010 posting:

Not sure of the total numbers but here is the serial number decipher using my custom high gloss black cargo as an example:

CE109014-1

CE = Cargo Electronics
1 = Gloss
09 = Year made
014 = Day of the year so January 14th
1 = How many of that guitar were made that day

Below are the finish codes:
1 Gloss
2 Road Tough
3 Tobacco
4 Snakeskin
5 Tribal
6 Custom
7 Raw

Last edited by Steve Christens; 02-23-2021 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:37 PM

Wow. Thank you Steve, info abundance.

Seems like both you & Acousticado were on par with the too high asking price.

Thanks you for the tips
Old 02-24-2021, 12:02 AM

Interesting comments: The GX ended up being my "bluegrass" guitar with 0.13s on it, and yes I did sell it but I would have liked to have kept it but GAS, limited funds, one in one out, etc.
As for asking price, I had real trouble even getting bites and sold it for way less than the price in the listing you provided, and I would think a GX gloss would be a more desirable guitar than a GXi. But admittedly I was in a market where CF guitars are pretty much unheard of (Australia).
I did have it up for sale once when I lived in the US but got no bites, and decided to keep it. It stayed with me for a few years more after moving back here - nice to have in a hot, humid climate! Which is why I was drawn to CF in the first place....
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube

Last edited by tdq; 02-24-2021 at 11:55 PM. Reason: spelling

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Tags
ca gxi5