The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-06-2021, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
This often is the result of age and/or quality of the strings. Nylon or synthetic strings often stretch non-uniformly and can develop deviation in the mass along the string length over time. That's what causes the pitch irregularities of synthetic strings compared to their steel counterparts. This can even be the result of non-uniform stretching of the string when they are installed.

Is it normal? Yes, for synthetic strings, but subject to the variables I mentioned. They can, and do, sound true to pitch in many cases. YMMV with synthetics.
I had heard this in some classical guitar lesson websites.
Old 03-14-2021, 01:53 AM

imc2111...

came across this inquiry of yours. There is no easy answer to this.

several questions:

1) What make steel string axe are you chopping with and the strings you are using... and what classical make guitar and it's strings are you comparing it with?

2) When was the last time you changed the strings on the classical?

3) Have you checked humidity levels in your house? Does it fall between 45 to 55%?
Temperature and humidity levels can play havoc with a solid top classical guitar: if that's what you have.

It might pay you to take it to a reputable luthier to check it out.

I have two mid level classical guitars (all solid wood) (indian rosewood back and sides with cedar tops) and both keep perfect tune. I check them everytime I play them. I also maintain a constant 68-70 degree temp in my music room at home, and the humidity is also kept constant, around 50% and I have never noticed these two sounding out of tune in comparison to my dreadnought steel string axe; which has laminated back and sides and a solid spruce top.

Who knows maybe I am just lucky or maybe I'm going tone deaf in my old age.

Also whenever I purchase a new axe, it immediately goes to my luthier friend for a check up and adjustment if needed. He has maintained my two electrics, my two classicals and my steel string.
Old 03-21-2021, 01:35 PM

I think, as a few people have commented, you are bending the strings (ever so slightly) instead of pressing straight down.
When I bought my Hamer electric, I hadn't played an electric for a number of years.
I kept complaining on the Hamer fan club forum that my guitar was out of tune. I insisted it was the guitar and not me.
They were mad at me because they felt I was dissing Hamer guitars. I dug out my old Fender Mustang and found that that guitar also did not play in tune.

After a while I got better, and the Hamer and Fender guitars played in tune (they were never out of tune).
2008 Taylor 814CE
2020 Emerald X-30

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical