The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-02-2021, 07:47 PM

Default Resistance when Loosening Truss Rod: Blueridge BR143

Hi, I've been googling for a while and can't figure this out. I just got a Blueridge BR143 that I'm trying to dial in. Right now theres very little to no relief. When I try to loosen the truss rod, I'm met with resistance. This might indicate a dual action truss rod, but I can't find anywhere that says a blueridge has that. Do I need to lubricate this? Thanks Alot
Old 03-02-2021, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapo View Post
Hi, I've been googling for a while and can't figure this out. I just got a Blueridge BR143 that I'm trying to dial in. Right now theres very little to no relief. When I try to loosen the truss rod, I'm met with resistance. This might indicate a dual action truss rod, but I can't find anywhere that says a blueridge has that. Do I need to lubricate this? Thanks Alot
Some guitars in the build process sadly have glue that seeped into the truss rod bolt. My buddy's Washburn--I thought for sure I was gonna break the dang thing the first time I adjusted the truss rod. Once the glue bond broke free it was smooth operator from there.

Be sure the wrench fits well. Proceed with caution. Small increments. Maybe back off the strings when making the adjustment.

Shouldn't need to lube anything.

Another guitar I work on from time to time is an old Fender acoustic from the 80s and its truss rod requires significant oomph to get the rod to turn either way.

Overly dry guitars seem to be problematic in this regard.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:20 PM

Thanks Man! That's interesting and makes sense. I was trying to imagine what it could be as the guitar is in really good shape and a rusted nut didn't seem likely. I admit to still be slightly nervous, but I guess logic dictates I'm not going to strip the rod thread by loosening it. That's interesting regarding dryness, as this was just shipped to me from a desert climate.
Old 03-03-2021, 05:57 AM

Before applying too much force, I would have a luthier take a look at it. You won't be happy if you break the truss rod (I know, I've had it happen). Good luck!
Old 03-03-2021, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapo View Post
It is more than likely your Blueridge is fitted with a duel action truss rod. Just about everything that's coming out of China, right down to the $150 guitars, will have a dual action truss rod. There is only a very slim chance that something is wrong with the truss rod - it does happen, but it is very rare on a new guitar. You are trying to bend quite a chunk of wood. If you have some resistance but the thread is still turning then that's OK. Just go a quarter turn at a time, leave it a while, then measure it. From any sort of back bow it can be awkward to get some relief started. But once it is, the string tension will help

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 03-03-2021, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

If it were my guitar I'd lubricate the nut with a quick shot of WD40 before applying torque.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

You also might want to lay your forearm across the strings (parallel) with you elbow firmly against the bridge/saddle and take the palm of your other hand and press with a little bit of downward force against the nut to relieve the tension on the truss rod prior to trying to turn it counterclockwise. This might help?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 03-03-2021, 02:47 PM

Interesting. I emailed SAGA about wether it's a dual action rod, maybe like you say it's so common that they don't bother to mention it in literature. Right now it's not moving at all with the small amount of force I'm giving it. A luthier on these forums also mentioned lubrication in another thread. Taking the tension off the neck seems like it could help as well.

I will be getting a setup done, though at this point I'm trying to dial things in to give me more clarity on what's going on with this guitar. At which point I might ship the guitar four hours to Larry Craig in the North Bay instead of taking it to the local guy. Right now the bass strings are inexplicably dead, despite the seller saying it just got a setup and sounded great. I hit a string and it immediately dies, like it's fretting out or something, but I can't see it doing that.

Thanks for the insight, I think it's always good to know the basics of your guitar like truss rod functionality.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:50 AM

Taking tension off will make it easier to adjust a backbow, certainly. If there is scope, trying to tighten the truss rod by a small amount may also free it if it is siezed up, you can then loosen it.....
Old 03-04-2021, 03:42 PM

Default A thought

If OP will be getting a setup done, rather than complicate matters, let the tech doing the setup deal with the truss rod, he'll need to anyway. it's likely some prior experience with such matters will come in useful.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair