The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-03-2021, 03:10 PM

Default Three string guitar

Hi all. Newbie here. I just started building three string guitars. I am new to this so please excuse my ignorance. When tuned in GDG the twelfth fret harmonics on all strings is in tune. When I travel
Up the neck in each string the tone is sharp on most frets. Uses a 23” template and frets are in the proper location. I leveled and filed frets and the neck is straight. Any way to correct this?
Old 03-03-2021, 04:27 PM

There are a few things to consider. One is how far the string is above the fretboard. If it is high of the board then when you press down you are increasing the tension on the string and causing the notes to be sharp. If you have a lot of relief in the neck (it is bowed away from the string, wich is straight) then the fretted notes will be sharp. If the string height is reasonable (not set up for playing slide) then you have to look at your string length. If the fretted 12th fret note is sharp you need to increase the length of the guitar string by moving the saddle back.
Old 03-03-2021, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombard View Post
Hi all. Newbie here. I just started building three string guitars. I am new to this so please excuse my ignorance. When tuned in GDG the twelfth fret harmonics on all strings is in tune. When I travel
Up the neck in each string the tone is sharp on most frets. Uses a 23” template and frets are in the proper location. I leveled and filed frets and the neck is straight. Any way to correct this?
Your nut slots may be too high. If the nut slots are correct and you have proper relief and compensation then it should be no problem to have proper note pitches as you play your instrument.

Three strings can be very nice instruments for an adult; they aren't simply for kids. Here's a Tele version that I produced plans for:

Old 03-03-2021, 04:50 PM

Hi Fred. Thanks for responding. I have have made several guitars, all of them have slightly different string heights. I ran the neck through my jointer to make sure it was flat. I do have the saddle set at the 23" recommended. I have adjusted the saddle slightly to get the harmonics in tune. Since it is a three string I used a bolt for the nut and a half piece of copper pipe for the saddle. I should ask is a saddle the same a a bridge? Would a over size fret in replacement of the bolt help in any way? Also the template I used was one on a piece of heavy paper. Could it be possible it was slightly inaccurate since all of the guitars have the same issue?
Old 03-03-2021, 04:56 PM

Thanks Rudy. If the string height is close is the nut height correct? I will have to study relief and compensation as I have no clue what that means. is there a way to post pictures? It would show what I have for the neck set up.
Old 03-04-2021, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombard View Post
Thanks Rudy. If the string height is close is the nut height correct? I will have to study relief and compensation as I have no clue what that means. is there a way to post pictures? It would show what I have for the neck set up.
If you want to post just go to Imgur and start a free account. Upload your photos to your page there and then use the link provided to post here. That's how the image below is displayed.

Set your nut slot depth as shown. It's basically the same for all instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair