The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 02-04-2021, 10:20 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Larry,

I really enjoyed your video! Great sounds! And what fun playing those resonators!

I do not own a resonator, but I keep getting tempted. I also have never learned to play with slide, but I should!

I really enjoyed your presentation Larry! Well done!

- Glenn
Thank you Glenn! I appreciate that. I really enjoy the resonator sound - it's not for everything, but definitely adds a different flavor with some types of music. Slide - well, I bought my first slide over 30 years ago, had no idea how to make any kind of decent sound with it, and then put it away until a year or two ago. I've got a lot of work to do on my slide technique! But, as Doug says above, it is fun!
Old 02-05-2021, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organic Sounds Select Guitars View Post
Hi Marty,
Thanks for posting. I'm curious about your take on the Hot Plate - I love the idea of it, haven't played one yet.

Hi Hoyt,
I've heard great things about the Beard Deco Phonic. Just saw a video of Tommy Emmanuel playing one. Cool instrument! By the way, the El Trovador's nut width is 1 3/4", so not so wide compared to other Nationals.
I have tried a variety of pick up in resonators including Krivo (which are excellent), Lace,someonboard mics but find i like the Hot Plate the best. None of them totally represent the true reso tone, so it is a matter of what works best for you..When I play through my Fender, nice clean sound. When I play through my Swart, as clean to nasty as I want..It is a no Brainer to install, great quality product. Mine is nickel-plated brass and I am extremely pleased with it. FYI for what it is worth , I have been playing guitar for 57 years and resonator for about 25. Point being, I have experience. Hope that helps
Old 02-05-2021, 09:55 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGraw View Post
I have tried a variety of pick up in resonators including Krivo (which are excellent), Lace,someonboard mics but find i like the Hot Plate the best. None of them totally represent the true reso tone, so it is a matter of what works best for you..When I play through my Fender, nice clean sound. When I play through my Swart, as clean to nasty as I want..It is a no Brainer to install, great quality product. Mine is nickel-plated brass and I am extremely pleased with it. FYI for what it is worth , I have been playing guitar for 57 years and resonator for about 25. Point being, I have experience. Hope that helps
That helps a lot. Thanks Marty!
Old 02-05-2021, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organic Sounds Select Guitars View Post
That helps a lot. Thanks Marty!
One challenge, kind-a sort-a to keep in mind. Magnetic pickup on acoustic guitar. When I tried regular bronze acoustic strings, the balance was off because of the bronze wrap. Electric strings were great electric, but lacked a bit acoustically. So in my string search I found an Acoustic/Electric White Bronze by GHS. I have had them on for about 3 days now and I am very impressed. Very reasonably priced too. I will give them a bit more time giving my final vote, but they are sounding great. I have been a D'Addario guy for many, many years. I have tried others over the years but always come back to them. This is the first time I have tried GHS. I hope the work out. The GHS 13's are very comfortable.
Old 02-05-2021, 02:39 PM

Quote:
One challenge, kind-a sort-a to keep in mind. Magnetic pickup on acoustic guitar. When I tried regular bronze acoustic strings, the balance was off because of the bronze wrap. Electric strings were great electric, but lacked a bit acoustically. So in my string search I found an Acoustic/Electric White Bronze by GHS. I have had them on for about 3 days now and I am very impressed. Very reasonably priced too. I will give them a bit more time giving my final vote, but they are sounding great. I have been a D'Addario guy for many, many years. I have tried others over the years but always come back to them. This is the first time I have tried GHS. I hope the work out. The GHS 13's are very comfortable.
I just use the same nickel 12s I use on my Jaguar. My hotplate is on a reso-tone, so 12s are perfect.
Old 02-05-2021, 07:03 PM

Quote:
I've always liked the GHS white bronze on my (steel) single cone, even before I added the Krivo, which for the record, gets a +1 from me.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 02-22-2021, 11:11 AM
AGF Sponsor

An update for those interested in the different wood bodied National guitars: I have received a new Estralita Deluxe, similar to Andy's (Silly Moustache) guitar in his post. I hadn't expected it this quickly - if I had known, I might have waited to make this video and included it in the comparison.

To my ear, the Estralita Deluxe fits between the El Trovador and the WB ResoRocket in tone - probably closer to the El Trovador in its depth and warmth - very cool instrument, good looking too!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments