The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-11-2021, 06:44 PM

Default Emerald X7 Opus Question

Anyone have an idea what a 2017 X7 Opus with electronics should sell for? I can't find much history on reverb/eBay.
Guild GAD30RATB

Last edited by Tomo; 02-11-2021 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-11-2021, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
Anyone have an idea what a 2017 X7 Opus should sell for? I can't find much history on reverb/eBay.
Try 75-80% of what you paid for it, as a starting point.

A 2017 X7 Opus is probably not the most recent model either, so you might want to take that into account.

Used Emeralds seem to command a premium (for supply reasons, most likely) - but some recent examples have been very optimistic about what the market will bear.

Either that, or they’re relying on the inability of many buyers to do basic price research.

I tend to look at a sale like this as “what do I need to get out of it?” rather than “what’s the max I can get?”.

YMMV.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-12-2021, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

I would generally say something vague like, "What the market will bear," but those second generation X7s are unique in today's market. I do like the upturned soundhole for the aesthetics on the latest generation, but that previous gen X7 with the thinner body is still the most comfortable acoustic guitar I have ever played. You didn't mention what pickup, but I also think the B-band pick up in the X7 I have is my favorite, as well.

No doubt the bigger body current X7 will have a richer tone, but because of what I described above, I don't see that my X7 will ever go on the market...
because, like land, they aren't making any more of it.

Good luck with the sale.
Old 02-12-2021, 10:15 AM
Guest 928

Eatswodo;

Your final line reminds me of a statement made by my wife who is a mathematician. She tells me that mathematical formulas are guided by the mandate to stick with what is necessary and what is sufficient.
Old 02-12-2021, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

I think most people will likely prefer the newer model, so that may hurt you a bit.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:19 AM

I'd have to concur with that. We have an "extra" X7 woody V2. Not being the newer V3 has put off a couple of potential buyers. But my petite wife would not be happy with the newer version (1/2" deeper and 1" wider at the lower bout). Mama bear finds the older V2 to be "just right". We'd be happy to sell for ~75% of our original purchase price. This is not an ad, BTW, as it isn't really for sale.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:57 AM

It's funny - I have a really old (center-hole) X7 "Life" I've thought about putting out on the market, but since it has a ding (i.e. a piece of the curly maple got chipped out by an idiot at work who put it back and never informed me) I figure I couldn't get enough out of it to make it worthwhile to sell - and now I've got my "mostly indestructible" beater guitar...
Old 02-12-2021, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

I will message you specifics of a used X7 (v2) I purchased if that is helpful.
-Tom
Old 02-15-2021, 02:06 PM

Just one more perspective on your older model X7... When I was in the market to buy, the model that you have is exactly what I was looking for and set to buy. As luck would have it, it was right at the time that Emerald just stopped selling that version and releasing the new one, which I’m grateful for my timing.

That said, if I am in the market for another acoustic, I would consider an older model because the thinner body would be something I want. Also, I have an Amicus and find that the old sound hole is just fine. Used Emeralds are guitars that I wouldn’t hesitate to buy because of their exceptional construction and stainless steel frets.

All I’m saying is that if you sold it at the right time, someone like me wouldn’t pass on it as your version is still desired.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber