The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-09-2023, 08:26 PM

The rules of jam etiquette available on Google.

2017 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany;
2006 Alvarez AJ60SC/12 NAT
1994 Martin D-1
1992 Guild JF-30 BL, Westerly build
Old 09-14-2023, 06:54 AM

I don't take the guitar out of my case if I hear players not in sync together in all aspects of the song they are playing.
Listen first and decide for yourself if it will be worth the effort to participate
Old 09-14-2023, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post

It's not just music, it's all clubs/gatherings. Most people seem to be able to pick up on unspoken rules, but there's always someone who is missing that gene.

Sadly, I don't think there is anything to be done. I have seen more than a few gatherings destroyed by one or two people. Move on.
What sage wisdom. It's maybe obvious, but this summary has helped me today. I'll keep this in my head, that some folks are just missing that gene. Similar to the folks who don't have the "I must wait in line like all the other muggles" gene.

Thanks!!
Old 09-14-2023, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalegreen View Post
I don't take the guitar out of my case if I hear players not in sync together in all aspects of the song they are playing.
Listen first and decide for yourself if it will be worth the effort to participate
I guess that strategy has worked for you, Dale but I don't see it working for me. Depends on your goals I guess.

My goal with these things is to make contact with someone with whom I might have a future musical relationship. Often these people are hiding within these groups, not displaying their full playing potential so as not to intimidate the others. But you can spot them after playing a bit.
Old 09-17-2023, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
I guess that strategy has worked for you, Dale but I don't see it working for me. Depends on your goals I guess.

My goal with these things is to make contact with someone with whom I might have a future musical relationship. Often these people are hiding within these groups, not displaying their full playing potential so as not to intimidate the others. But you can spot them after playing a bit.
Very true indeed!
I gather all of that info just by listening before opening my guitar case

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write