The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-11-2019, 01:31 PM

Let me put it this way: I know a lot about ports, and their advantages are clear in certain circumstances. I make guitars with ports when the customer wants them. I don't build ported guitars 'on spec'.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi ld

We once lived in a nice home, and when it came time to sell it, we had to update the carpets, the floors, the counters and a ton of stuff we never got to appreciate. We committed to a new approach to our houses, fix it up and live in it.

If you wouldn't have a sound port (side port) in your guitar, it's sure not going to add much value to it when you re-sell it. It's probably in the same category as a pickup already installed in a guitar, or having switched the saddles from man-made to bone. The buyer may even ding you for it.

For me buying a guitar with a pickup in it (even if it's one I'd install in it) is not going to cause me to move my limit I'd pay for it. And a I'm not buying a guitar because of the side port, but for the way it plays, resonates, sustains, and projects.

I cannot think of anything someone would normally add to a guitar when selling it that would cause the value to rise to the point they'd even break even.

All of this. Great post.
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 02-12-2019, 04:47 AM
AGF Sponsor

The other possibility is that you'd see/hear the guitar in a new light, and decide to keep it.

HE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion