The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-05-2015, 09:39 AM

Default I am torn... Shorty or Parlor?

While I've been a member here for awhile, this is my first post. Back when I joined, I was looking hard at buying a CF guitar, but life got in the way, & I couldn't swing the jing. Now I'm finally back in a position to move forward with the purchase, & I'm having a hard time deciding between the Shorty & Parlor.

I've searched this forum, & read all I can about them, but I thought I'd start another thread to see if anyone that's played both will have anything further to add. I'd also like to inquire about the differences between the gloss & SFT versions. I'll probably go without electronics, since I don't see any live performances in my future, and they could be added later if necessary.

Dave's Guitar is the closest dealer that has both, which is about a 5hr drive one way. That would chew up a whole day on a saturday since I have to work during the week. I still might make that trip, but would rather not spend the time & money if I can come to a decision without going there.

Any insight into contrast & comparing the Shorty & Parlor will be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-05-2015, 10:30 AM

These are two completely different guitars with different tonal characteristics and different feel.

The Shorty uses a much larger OM body which will produce richer bass response and an all around bigger voice, while the Parlor will be more balanced with a more fundamental tone. The Shorty feels like any other OM, great for most situations while the Parlors small size allows it to go anywhere and be played anywhere.

If you don't need the smaller size than go with the Shorty, if however you want a small guitar that can go places a larger guitar can't, or one that is more comfortable to play by virtue of it's size, than you will be very happy with the Parlor
Old 02-05-2015, 11:15 AM

I'm about 7 hours from Dave's. I drove there and played both and left with a P12. They are both fantastic guitars but they are different. I'd suggest making the drive, it will be time and money well spent.

Rainsong Shorty SG
Rainsong P12T
All the Martins, Gibsons, and others are gone.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:06 PM

I think you'll spend a lot less money than you would on buying a guitar and selling it a year later because you want a different one. In my opinion, it will be money well spent. And if you make up your mind on the spot, you can just take it home with you and you don't have to wait for shipping.
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster
Old 02-05-2015, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

Welcome aboard!

I have a Shorty and have played a couple RS Parlors. For the question of: Shorty or Parlor? The answer is an unqualified: yes.

I already owned the Shorty before I played a Parlor. I had expectations of a smaller sound from the Parlor, but was pleasantly surprised at what came out of it: well balanced, but still has the beautiful clarity that makes me smile every time I pick up the Shorty.

While I might say you can't go wrong with either of those two choices, it would be worth the time investment to see if one feels or sounds more like "the one" to you.

I bought the Shorty to be my travel guitar... for the climate indifference more than the size. Had the Parlor been more available at the time I bought the Shorty, I may have been in the same buying conundrum you currently find yourself in.

Good luck with the decision. Sometimes, I kinda like the search.

Best wishes (and keep us posted),
Jim

On edit: regarding the Fine Texture or the Glossy, I chose the glossy. You do (well, I did) pick up some sound as you move your hand over the texture; plus, I like the look of the glossy.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:42 PM

Very fine buy...cool that you could play both first
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-06-2015, 09:34 AM

As some have said, the tone difference isn't as big as you might expect. They Parlor actually holds up really well.

However, I don't feel like it's much more viable as a travel guitar than a Shorty. It's not even a full inch shorter than the Shorty, and the case is basically the same length too.

So, if you're worried about travel, it might fit in an overhead a little easier because it's narrower, but it's not really any shorter.

That small body definitely makes it more comfortable to play though.
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster
Old 02-06-2015, 11:30 AM

I just purchased a P14….and am thrilled with it.
This parlor has a wonderfully balanced sound…with plenty of bass and volume for me.

I had played a P12, and although it may(?) have a tad more bass due to the location of the bridge, I found it a tad too short in length for me.

I have a right shoulder issue that has lead me to move form 000 and 0M models to 00 and 0 models. The P14 is very close in length to my Bourgeois Vintage 0….which is close to a Martin 00….all rather unsystematic across builders.

Having said all, the P14 is perfect for me re: sound and comfort. I sent mine off to Michael and Jarrod at MacNichols and asked them to do "their magic". They set up the guitar, and also put in a fossilized mammoth ivory saddle that really made a difference. I played a P12 that they set up, and it was also magical….played like butter.

Haven't had the good fortune to play a Shorty…..and wouldn't purchase it because of my shoulder….but would bet it also sounds great.
I suspect you cannot go wrong….
Enjoy the journey….
Old 02-06-2015, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post

The Shorty feels like any other OM, great for most situations while the Parlors small size allows it to go anywhere and be played anywhere.

If you don't need the smaller size than go with the Shorty, if however you want a small guitar that can go places a larger guitar can't, or one that is more comfortable to play by virtue of it's size, than you will be very happy with the Parlor
My Shorty is significantly thinner than any of my OM's. As a result it feels quite a bit smaller. Other than that I would agree with everything Ted said above.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 02-07-2015, 07:22 PM

I had the same dilemma as you, I couldn't decide between the shorty and the parlor. I was able to play both, but not at the same time, so I cannot accurately compare the tone, but the shorty was definitely louder, as to be expected. I balked for a long time due to the price. I was very fortunate to recently snag a used parlor P12 for a very good price, and am very satisfied with it, but I am sure I would have been satisfied with the shorty as well. The parlor is very comfortable to play on the couch in front of the tv! If you are looking to play with your friends(unplugged) then the shorty might be the better choice, if you are looking for a couch guitar to play by yourself, parlor is the best bet. If you will plug in, either one will work. Good luck!
Old 02-08-2015, 07:37 PM

Thanks for all the insight.
I really appreciate it.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:02 PM

I own and play both the Shorty SFT ("fine texture") and the gloss Parlor P12. Picked them up about a year ago and couldn't be happier. My other guitars, of which there are many, don't get played much.

Here in Virginia I like to grab a guitar and go play on the front porch. Lazy summer days are inspiring that way. I play shuffle-style blues, and noodle in the Piedmont tradition or more correctly a crude attempt at it. I alternate between playing slide and finger-style. I keep the Shorty tuned to open G for playing slide, and the P12 in standard tuning for finger-style. They both have a clarity that is pleasing to the ear, often described as piano-like. As others have said too, the Shorty projects a bit more, and the P12 has richer bass. I use the stock strings.

The Shorty and the Parlor P12, being constructed entirely of manmade materials, seem impervious to temperature and humidity change. This means a guitar kept in an air conditioned room can be taken outdoors on a humid 90-degree summer day and played in the sun or shade - with no drift in tuning - one of the joys of carbon fiber, and ideal for the environmental abuse I subject mine to.

Try to play them both if you can - nothing beats time on task. Everyone who has played mine, including professional guitarists, seems to like them quite well.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

My P12 is a fingerstyle joy and it's not bad for strumming at all. You lose a little volume and low end with the smaller body size is the only "down" I see compared to the Shorty. I'm amazed how similar the P12 sounds to my 2014 Taylor 522 with a very balanced/fundamental personality.

I played a Shorty at a shop and I think it's personality is very similar to the P12 but has a bit more volume and low end as others have commented. If you like the smaller size, the P12 should fit you well. If the Shorty is as small as you want to go, there's your answer too.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 02-12-2015, 03:10 AM

I picked up a shorty FT recently for rougher gigs i.e. festivals when we're camping, distant gigs when I'm travelling by train etc and I've been very pleasantly pleased with it.

I come from bigger bodied, rosewood backed guitars and I was expecting a smaller, less complex sounding guitar which would plug in well but it has a very pleasing voice not the hifi reverby tone of rosewood but it has a warmth and complexity of it's own. A very pleasing guitar to play and intimate is used widely for a reason when talking about the shorty it's not a small sounding guitar though.

I'm still getting used to the 12 fret neck joint despite the cutaway, I tend to use quite a lot of higher voice chords and heel is a bit distracting but I'm sure I can get used to it.

Not sure if you'll be able to see it but here's a FB video of my recent radio session for Celtic Music Radio. I'm not sure how much of the guitar is via the mic but I was also plugged through my Aura spectrum DI so what you're hearing is a blend of mic and pickup probably more pickup.

If you can't get to it via the link above you should be able get to it via www.facebook.com/tomfittonmusic
Old 02-14-2015, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganskins View Post
I picked up a shorty FT recently for rougher gigs... A very pleasing guitar to play and intimate is used widely for a reason when talking about the shorty it's not a small sounding guitar... Not sure if you'll be able to see it but here's a FB video of my recent radio session for Celtic Music Radio.
Tom, what a beautiful demonstration of all the tonality available in a really fine CF guitar. As a melodic rhythm player, I love the clarity of your chord playing... you can literally hear every note within each chord. Thank you very much for posting this.

AGFrs (especially CF skeptics), if you listen to this clip on FB, give it at least 3 minutes to understand the full range of what is presented... if you give the 3, you will listen to the full 14 minutes. This is the best demo of CF I a have personally heard... very Ian Anderson meets John Doyle

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber