The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-19-2014, 10:04 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
I totally get the harvesting in the winter months, Bruce, but could you expand a little on why the phase of the moon might have an effect on the moisture content?
Just to be clear, 'twas not I who brought up the moon-phases, but rather more that I brought in the winter months. Both concepts have to do with moisture content, but only one of them is of major concern to me when I go shopping.

The only example I have had of "Moon Spruce" was a gift to me from a supplier.

My thinking re moon-phase is somewhat more in line with the more skeptical voiced here, but I still cannot discount the possibility that there is some difference beyond the obvious. There is simply too much we humans do not know, and with the long history of anecdotal evidence supporting moon-phased harvest practices, who am I (similar to a normal person as I am) to completely discount the possibility?

I have not seen any pattern revealed that would suggest I should pay more for Moon-Spruce, but neither have I seen any reason not to use it if that's what a customer wants.

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 04-19-2014 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Just to be clear, 'twas not I who brought up the moon-phases, but rather more that I brought in the winter months. Both concepts have to do with moisture content, but only one of them in of major concern to me when I go shopping.

The only example I have had of "Moon Spruce" was a gift to me from a supplier.

My thinking re moon-phase is somewhat more in line with the more skeptical voiced here, but I still cannot discount the possibility that there is some difference beyond the obvious. There is simply too much we humans do not know, and with the long history of anecdotal evidence supporting moon-phased harvest practices, who am I (similar to a normal person as I am) to completely discount the possibility?

I have not seen any pattern revealed that would suggest I should pay more for Moon-Spruce, but neither have I seen any reason not to use it if that's what a customer wants.
I always enjoy reading your posts.... for I have learned a lot by doing so. Thanks -
Old 04-19-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
My thinking re moon-phase is somewhat more in line with the more skeptical voiced here, but I still cannot discount the possibility that there is some difference beyond the obvious.
Ultimately I think everything makes a difference -- and it is scientifically proven that a high moon does have an impact on the Earth and its atmosphere.

Quote:
There is simply too much we humans do not know, and with the long history of anecdotal evidence supporting moon-phased harvest practices, who am I (similar to a normal person as I am) to completely discount the possibility?
I think this is the "personal" part. Some people lean toward the "mystical" while others lean toward the "practical".

Of course, I'm in the latter group. Give me 10 guitars made by the same builder, with the most consistent back/sides as possible -- and if it's not obvious to me which ones sport a moon spruce top, then the theory has no practical value to me.

People talk about "moon spruce" because it's romantic and fetches a premium. I just did a web search for "night spruce" and "winter spruce" (which presumably would have a lot more impact than the moon) and found nothing relevant.

Quote:
I think that's a reasonable assessment.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:05 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
It doesn't take a science genius to figure that out. If the moon were strong enough to dry the wood to the point that it has an impact on the sound of a guitar, imagine the impact it would have on brain fluids (and a bunch of other body parts).
I think this might hit the nail right on the head. I think it would be quite natural and logical that in many of these small lumber towns, hamlets really, where the women folk are in the small minority that they would form their own tight social circles sharing chores and probably their own lunar cycles. I imagine there comes a time of month when it seems like a good idea to the men to get together and go out in the sub zero night and cut down trees.

On a clear still night a voice rings out "I'm thinking the trees are ripe for chopp'n. Who's with me boys!" "I am." "Me too!" "Hey, wait up boys I'm right behind ya."

Meanwhile, an older Jack sits back in his EZ chair by the fire sipping his own bit of moonshine and a small smile cracks the edge of his mouth as he fondly remembers those days.

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 04-19-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post

It doesn't take a science genius to figure that out. If the moon were strong enough to dry the wood to the point that it has an impact on the sound of a guitar, imagine the impact it would have on brain fluids (and a bunch of other body parts).
It does have an impact on our bodies...and the bodies of animals.

And who said it was "drying out the wood"?
Old 04-19-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecguitar44 View Post
It does have an impact on our bodies...and the bodies of animals.

And who said it was "drying out the wood"?
I'd be interested in hearing more about that aspect...
Old 04-19-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorplayer View Post
I'd be interested in hearing more about that aspect...
Google will puke up a vast amount of for/against information...referencing numerous studies...etc. Wikipedia, Science.com, etc.

I'll weigh in later if I'm at my computer. I can't type that much on my iPad.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:27 PM

In an article Zurcher points out that "in the past ,people had more time,and more peace and quiet in which to observe how things work;indeed,such knowledge would have been vital to them". These things we in busy modern life have not learned or have forgotten.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:31 PM

That last post was from an article from material from Ervin Somogyi given to me by Wolfram Slides.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frquent flyer View Post
In an article Zurcher points out that "in the past ,people had more time,and more peace and quiet in which to observe how things work;indeed,such knowledge would have been vital to them". These things we in busy modern life have not learned or have forgotten.
There's definitely some truth in that. We've become ignorant to much knowledge that existed in the past. Our reliance and obsession with technology has, in many ways, reduced our understanding of the world around us.

We also often consider those that lived before us as somehow intellectually inferior...mostly due to their relative lack of technology. It's a shame.

I'm optimistic that technology will eventually provide us the opportunity to relearn/rediscover some of these things. Or at least to connect the dots a little more clearly.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:38 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

It certainly affects my brain fluids, that's why I'm a lunatic

A blasphemous comment: I think the bracing and build skill affect tone more than what type of spruce. I can tell the difference between cedar and spruce, and can visually tell the difference between certain types of spruce, but can't hear the difference, not really. I got the Berkmann euro "moon" spruce because it was the nicest spruce The builder could get.

I too think the moon part is bunk but the wintertime thing makes sense. If I ran into Count Chocula in the woods while cutting trees I'd probably assume I had eaten a magic mushroom
Old 04-19-2014, 12:57 PM
AGF Sponsor

Perhaps mystical/practical/scientific describes the situation a bit more accurately yet, though I too am a big fan of duality. In this case the middle road is the one I like to find myself on.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:01 PM

Alas, A "Cosmic" answer.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecguitar44 View Post

We also often consider those that lived before us as somehow intellectually inferior...mostly due to their relative lack of technology. It's a shame.
Maybe the burning of witches, and sacrificing of animals (and humans as well in some cultures) to placate the gods , might have something to do with the modern tendency to look back on previous generations as having been somewhat misguided.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
Maybe the burning of witches, and sacrificing of animals (and humans as well in some cultures) to placate the gods , might have something to do with the modern tendency to look back on previous generations as having been somewhat misguided.
That's a pretty narrow swatch of history upon which to base an opinion.

I could point to some pretty ridiculous and heinous activities of modern man (like in the past 60 years or so) that would rival witch burning and animal sacrifice. Actually, I can point to things in the past 5 or 10 years...

And besides, people are still murdered every day to placate one thing or another.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop