The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-12-2020, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I think ALL the US guitar makers have great guitars in their range - you just need to find the one that suits you best.
As someone else has said, this is the best advice. My first half decent guitar was a Martin, but having brought it home, I realised within a month it wasn't the guitar for me, so I sold it. I tried others, but that guitar really affected my opinion of the brand for quite a while until I tried a 00-17 12 fret. If I saw one now at the right price, I would have little hesitation about trying a Martin again.
Old 11-12-2020, 02:52 AM

Martins are absolutely fabulous guitars, no doubt. They just aren't for me. When I was younger it was Gibson guitars (I think the last Gibson I owned was a WM-45 in the early 2000s). But I've pretty much been a Taylor guy for the past 20 years.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 11-12-2020, 03:27 AM
Charter Member

There are these and there are those. I have to say I'm one of these. And I honestly think Martin should give me a free one.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:10 AM
Charter Member

Hi, FWIW, whilst I only own one Martin at present - my D12-20 Custom, I have the highest regard and respect fr the company.
I guess I acquired my first Martin in abut '73, and bought and sold some in London for a couple of years, but tended to buy ones that people sold because they needed work - mainly neck resents - which no-one that I knew did such things back then.

I finally bought my '73 D35 and kept it until about 1996/7. and it was trouble free.

I changed direction in 1999 which took me away from Martins due to my need for wider necks.

I have researched their history, and probably have more book on Martin that all the rest of other brands and types put together.

However, my collection is now more about versions of Martin designs that they no longer offer.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:41 AM

Martin make a great guitar.
Old 11-12-2020, 05:44 AM

They are fantastic. I on a Taylor, but I have always wanted a Martin. They're making some great stuff right now. I got my guitar in a trade, but if the right Martin had come up I would have gone for it.

You can get a real good "Martin-type" guitar for a lot less money at this point but I still think Martins can be a great value.
Old 11-12-2020, 05:50 AM

It's got to be the guitar for you.

I guess we are all different, and Martins are not for me. In a given price range I invariably find guitars I like much better when I do head-to-head comparisons. I would definitely be doing such comparisons if I was spending Martin level money.
Old 11-12-2020, 05:58 AM

I’ve owned a couple of dozen Martins including a 1972 D28 and a Martin/Schoenberg Soloist that were bought new. All the rest were vintage instruments ranging from an 1893 0-28 to a 1929 OM28 prototype. My strong preference is for 1, 0 and 00 sized instruments.

I haven’t owned any Martin newer than the Soloist so I cannot speak to current Martins other than playing a bunch in stores. I feel Martin has generally good build quality with some notable exceptions. I still recommend Martins to people who ask my opinion, but I’ll probably never buy another myself. My Froggy Bottom is the perfect new(er) guitar for me and I’m in love with Larsons for the vintage stuff.

The dizzying number of models they offer seems ridiculous to me.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 11-12-2020, 06:04 AM
Charter Member

I think that Martin makes some great guitars, and I also think that they have some of the best values out there. For years I was not a Martin fan. The 2012 redesign of the D-18 and the subsequent revamping of their line up has made a big difference for me.

I do think that the 18 series is one of the best value for money propositions out there. And my OM-21 is a really good guitar that I paid a pretty modest amount of money for used (though I still haven't totally gotten used to the somewhat narrow string spacing).

That said, I've played some lower end Martin models that do absolutely nothing for me.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 11-12-2020, 06:38 AM

All? . . . Lemme think . . .

American Built under $1,000 new. Avoid. Ugly and you can get a Yamaha, Taka, etc. that looks and sounds better.

MX . . . You know, if I'm in that price range, I'll give the MX-built a look. I've been pleasantly surprised by them.

15–28 . . Love'em, most especially in OM or 000, Ds and Js being too boomy for my playing. Different flavors . . my current Dream Machine is a 000-18s if I can find one, but I wouldn't turn up my nose at a 000- or OM-28.

Higher . . . I'm not a fan of the bling. Others Do enjoy them, so whatever . .

It's like beer. I avoid Busch, Enjoy Bud, and think Mich is overpriced for what it is . . . but if you're buying and you hand me a Mich, I'm not gonna complain that it's not a Bell's
Old 11-12-2020, 06:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxHound4690 View Post
Hey guys,

Wanting to know what is your honest opinion on Martin guitars, whether it be body shapes, tone woods, Good for finger picking or flat picking etc. I'm only asking because I'm on the verge of buying one that's really got my attention.

Based on the Martins you all own and have played over the years, what would you say is the ideal Martin for someone like me who's kind of a hybrid with acoustics (flat picker/finger style).
I own two Martins and I like them both very much. They are well made instruments that I enjoy playing and give me the acoustic tone that I prefer. I also like the fact that most Martins come without electronics, so you have plenty of options if you don't want/need a pickup in your guitar.

If you want a versatile guitar that you can flat pick and finger pick, I think an OM would be the best choice. I'm partial to rosewood, so I would go with an OM-28. What model are you on the verge of buying?
Gibson J-45 Standard
Breedlove Pursuit Concerto CE
Takamine F400S 12-string
Yamaha FG800
Citation CIT8000 "The Survivor"
Electrics:
Fender Standard Stratocaster (2004)

Last edited by pickinray; 11-12-2020 at 06:58 AM.
Old 11-12-2020, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

I love Gibsons and Martins, and I have visited the great folks in Nazareth a half dozen times.

The only think I would be wary of in recent models is low saddle from the getgo (but thats true of any maker), and the recent binding issues, which I believe are fixed now.

I think this is a fantastic American company, making guitars that alone have "their sound". If times get better for me, for an all-arounder (I play like you play), I will be looking hard at an 000-28 or 000-18...

Bless the great employees at Martin.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:01 AM

Some Martin guitars are great, some are not so great! I wouldn't limit myself just to the Martin name alone! There are lots of FANTASTIC acoustics out there that don't have the Martin name on the headstock! I'd hit as many guitars stores as I could and play as many different brands and models as I could get my hands on! You might find the Martin that calls your name and then again, you might take home something else.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 11-12-2020, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

Regardless of brand,

1) there are guitars by all makers that exceed expectations and there are guitars that don’t.
2) Buying on specs alone might get you what you want or it might not
3) the longer you play the more your ear can tune into what moves you.

I think Martin makes some of the best guitars around, and I think they make Some duds.
One D-28 can be a dream guitar and another D-28 can totally disappoint. I’ve experienced this my self.

With that said I’m shopping around for my next guitar and it will be a Martin.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 11-12-2020, 07:05 AM

Martin makes fine instruments, very competitive at every range in price. I have owned several over the years and each time thought they were the best I could get for the money I spent.

Now, what do I honestly think? I think they have cheapened themselves over the years by offering way too much to choose from. They are now appealing to all markets and because of this, the name "Martin" is no longer associated with "quality" the way it used to be to me. 40 years ago, when I heard "Martin" mentioned, my first thought was, "Wow, that's the best". It no longer elicits the same response from me.

They make just a fine instrument now as they used to, ones that carry on the tradition, don't get me wrong, but they also make a lot of others that do not compete with their best. Nor do you pay the same price.

Now, regarding their very best: I now think, dollar for dollar, you can get an as good or better instrument elsewhere, mostly from boutique and individual builders. Not always nor automatically, but on the average.

Still... the name beckons and there remains a special pleasure in knowing what you have is a "Martin" and it has "The Martin Sound".

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion