The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-07-2020, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

I do not think you are being fussy. There wasn't a lot of attention to detail in the building of that guitar.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 11-07-2020, 10:03 AM
Guest 33123

Not to be harsh but if you stick around here long enough you see this scenario repeat itself endlessly. "Hi guys, I bought expensive item X. I found some flaws! Here are some pics." Internet community goes bonkers and demands you take the CEO by the ear and make him fix it! I have a sister-in-law like this. You buy her a gift and she turns it over in her hands for an hour, finds some flaws and demands you return it. Guess who we don't buy gifts for anymore?

So to the OP: how does it sound and play?

Last edited by Guest 33123; 11-07-2020 at 01:33 PM. Reason: typos
Old 11-07-2020, 10:15 AM

If I were you, I'd send it back.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 11-07-2020, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Not to be harsh but if you stick around here long enough you see this scenario repeat itself endlessly. "Hi guys, I bought expensive item X. I found some flaws! Here are some pics." Internet comminity goes bonkers and demands you take the CEO by the ear and make him fix it! I have a sister-in-law like this. You buy her a gift and she turns it over in her hands for an hour, find some flaws and demands you return it. Guess who we don't buy gifts for anymore?

I agree that does happen a lot but the OP’s concerns Seem legit to me. For 10k? Are you kidding?
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 11-07-2020, 10:23 AM

The ditch in the fret board is enough to flag it as a "blem" or "almost perfect". Seems you did not pay a blem price for it.
Old 11-07-2020, 10:42 AM

Last edited by charles Tauber; 11-08-2020 at 08:04 AM.
Old 11-07-2020, 10:50 AM

I don't know what to tell you. I thought Gibson was supposed to have improved its quality control in the last 2 or 3 years which became extremely poor in the last decade or so. I don't think the fingerboard is structurally an issue if you keep it in a controlled environment, though i'm not enamored with the selection of the wood in which one would expect better in a premium instrument.

I would guess that if it plays like you want it to you'll stop noticing the imperfections in a few days. After it takes its first bang these will be minor.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 11-07-2020, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Some people can look past the defects. It sounds like they bother you. They would bother me as well, especially for an expensive guitar. My inclination would be to return it - but I understand that may be difficult since there aren't others to choose from close to you.

Did the pictures you saw before purchase show these defects? If not, I'd call the dealer and explain the situation and your justified concerns.
Old 11-07-2020, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

About the only thing I couldn't live with is the gouge in the fingerboard - that's just plain bad workmanship and poor quality control. If it were me, I'd send it back for an refund and buy my Martin back. And people ask me why I don't like Gibson guitars - I've worked on them and repaired them for the better part of 40+ years so I speak from experience. To further add fuel to the fire, I've seen their business plan of requiring massive amounts of inventory (even unpopular slow sellers) put some 'mom and pop' stores out of business because they couldn't pay the finance charges. Didn't happen to me, but it did happen to a good friend of mine who thought he just had to be a Gibson dealer. Sorry this happened to you - if it's a reputable dealer, they'll offer a full refund.
Old 11-07-2020, 11:15 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillis View Post
I agree that does happen a lot but the OP’s concerns Seem legit to me. For 10k? Are you kidding?
I see your point but there are a few factors here to think about. We tend to have extremely high expectations of an instrument made out of a natural material. Also a lot of the cost of this instrument goes towards bling. As well Bozeman is a small workforce still recovering from COVID impacts and is behind on orders which does not make for the best QC from any manufacturer. Regardless of whether or not the OP returns this guitar I think we need to put away the pitchforks and torches.

Last edited by Guest 33123; 11-07-2020 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-07-2020, 11:34 AM

Last edited by charles Tauber; 11-08-2020 at 08:04 AM.
Old 11-07-2020, 11:41 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
The issues I see have nothing to do with a product being made from a natural material. The issues I see are poor quality workmanship and poor material selection.

I'm not sure I'm entirely following your logic. It's okay to allow lower quality standards because they are behind on orders and short staffed? Apply that logic to other products, be they cars, airplanes or beef.

I don't think anyone is advocating pitchforks and torches. Expecting top quality for top dollar doesn't seem unreasonable.

Sure, there are lots of percieved "defects" with which buyers take issue that are overly picky, but I don't think this is an example of that. The OP has, in my opinion, some legitimate concerns.
You and I have different opinions on several topics and have argued in the past. I'm tired of it and I am not going there with you again. Best of luck to you in the future.
Old 11-07-2020, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

If you’re questioning it that much, return it. These th8ngs bother you, and that’s fine, especially for that money. If you ask for a refund, you’re still getting a guitar built with sub-par quality, only cheaper, and I think these imperfections will continue to bother long after the acceptance of a discount. Send it back, find another. Or have a custom luthier build you what you want, most likely for less money.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 11-07-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
For a Gibson, yes, you're too fussy,.. that's the current standard.

For a guitar close to $10k, heck no, you're not too fussy at all. Return it. Can you get the Martin back???
Agreed. Are you too fussy? Probably. Should you send the guitar back anyway? Definately.
Old 11-07-2020, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Not to be harsh but if you stick around here long enough you see this scenario repeat itself endlessly. "Hi guys, I bought expensive item X. I found some flaws! Here are some pics." Internet comminity goes bonkers and demands you take the CEO by the ear and make him fix it! I have a sister-in-law like this. You buy her a gift and she turns it over in her hands for an hour, find some flaws and demands you return it. Guess who we don't buy gifts for anymore?

I'm sure I'm in the minority here...but for the price paid for a high end guitar these days, we should expect a higher level of QC. Look at Collings, Bourgeois, Huss & Dalton, Taylor or even Martin at least overall. None of those builders have this level of QC issues, and with such regularity.

I'm not a Gibson basher. They are great sounding and playing instruments for the most part. If if were any other manufacturer that released guitars with these shortcomings...I'd say exactly the same. I feel like the buying enthusiasts should absolutely demand a better return for their dollar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion