The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Seriously, you may be sparking interest in old Yamaha DM-3 dreads. Next thing you know, due to demand, Yamaha will be releasing an updated DM-3 dread in the spirit of their Red Label reissues. By the way, are you interested in selling your Yamaha DM-3?
Sorry ST, but I actually blew this one.

I meant to say my Sigma DM-3 instead of Yamaha,but i guess in this discussion it doesn't really matter.

So I'll amend my 1st post by saying that my 80's Yamaha FG-365SII OR my 80's Sigma DM-3 acoustic are on the same level as ANY Custom $8K-$10K guitar.

Change my mind!!!!!!!
'81 Martin 7-28 7/8 D-28
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom
'04 Ramirez 1-E Classical
'09 Breedlove Roots OM/SR acoustic/electric
‘15 Martin Centennial DC - 28E
Old 09-26-2020, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

In the SF Bay area, I could find and play from the inventories of Gryphon, Sylvan, Guitar Showcase ( only Gibson dealer I know of), Schoenberg, Mighty Fine Guitars and probably others not on my radar. Steve Swan for vintage Gibson and Martin. Gryphon has probably more boutique brands, and big Collings, Martin, and Taylor inventory. Sylvan has maybe the largest SCGC inventory. Mighty Fine can provide access to maybe 20 luthier built brands. So I'll guess I could play guitars from thirty to fourty high end builders. So finding guitars is no problem.

Mandolins on the other hand, Northfield, Collings, Weber, Girourd, and whatever you luck into used. There are dozens of mandolin luthiers whose instruments I'll never touch, so finding a guitar is a piece of cake in comparison.

I'd probably find something I could bond with in Gryphon alone. If not, I'm being unreasonable.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 09-26-2020, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texsunburst59 View Post
Sorry ST, but I actually blew this one.

I meant to say my Sigma DM-3 instead of Yamaha,but i guess in this discussion it doesn't really matter.

So I'll amend my 1st post by saying that my 80's Yamaha FG-365SII OR my 80's Sigma DM-3 acoustic are on the same level as ANY Custom $8K-$10K guitar.

Change my mind!!!!!!!
Well, then, let's hype up your Yamaha FG-365SII and your Sigma DM-3! It's now without a doubt, a proven principle, that with enough hype, anyone can sell anyhing to a goodly number of folks ...
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-26-2020, 02:43 PM

Huss and Dalton seem to have that certain something that speaks to me when I play a guitar. They are my favorite brand of steel string acoustic so far, and I love the styles and options they offer. Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but they should be on your list if you want to check out a truly great guitar at a pretty reasonable price.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 09-26-2020, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Cool screen name!

Of those three brands, H&D tend to sound most like Martins and for that reason I also tend to prefer the tonality. Not always, but often times . . .
Old 09-26-2020, 03:50 PM

Thanks everyone! Was a lurker here for a long time and just noticed this whole phenomenon. Sounds like it’s simply a lack of exposure compared to the other brands.

It’s true we all simply like what we like. Although you’re wrong if you don’t think H n D are better. Ha! JK

Enjoy the rest of the weekend! If there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that we don’t get enough time off to play guitar!
Old 09-26-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Well, then, let's hype up your Yamaha FG-365SII and your Sigma DM-3! It's now without a doubt, a proven principle, that with enough hype, anyone can sell anyhing to a goodly number of folks ...

I wholeheartedly believe that if enough of the top trusted regulars here hyped up the Yamaha and Sigma acoustics, and relentlessly posted about how amazing and special they were, they'd be revered by all here in no time.
'81 Martin 7-28 7/8 D-28
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom
'04 Ramirez 1-E Classical
'09 Breedlove Roots OM/SR acoustic/electric
‘15 Martin Centennial DC - 28E
Old 09-26-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
I've played two at my dealer, and for its size, the Huss & Dalton T-0014 is a great sounding, highly responsive, and loud guitar. I think you'll love it!
Thanks, SpruceTop. That was just the encouragement I needed. I just ordered one, with Sitka and East Indian.
Old 09-26-2020, 05:27 PM

Id say a toss up between Collings or Huss and Dalton -
Thou i would say Collings of the two- but then again thats me
Ive played a Collings but have not as of yet had the pleasure to play a Huss and Dalton -Thou Ive heard and trust that their very good.
Old 09-26-2020, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison View Post
Thanks, SpruceTop. That was just the encouragement I needed. I just ordered one, with Sitka and East Indian.
Congrats! Is it a custom order or did you buy one that was already in a shop? Either way, looking forward to your NGD and impressions!
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 09-26-2020, 06:32 PM

Watch this guy fall in love with the Huss and Dalton tone over Santa Cruz, Lowden and others.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6l03HZIFRUs
Old 09-26-2020, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakewoodM32Fan View Post
Congrats! Is it a custom order or did you buy one that was already in a shop? Either way, looking forward to your NGD and impressions!
I believe the standard T-0014 is Sitka with a choice of Indian or Mahogany, so mine is non-custom. I found it on the website of H&D's Florida dealer. I was tempted by a used one at Dave's with Brazilian for $5850. But the one I got was new for a couple thousand less. Not sure how much we can say on this forum about dealers and their prices.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:27 PM

One thing I don’t really worry about buying used with companies like Huss and Dalton etc, is they have bolt on necks and a neck reset is quick and very cost effective.

I’ve played them all, and I’m just glad I found a company that ticks all the boxes. I’ve got a custom TDM being built right now (adi/hog non-torrified). I was able to pick out the top wood. Great company to work with. Mark and Jeff are both players themselves and just love guitars. I doubt they would ever sell out the brand they’ve established (like other makers have done).
Old 09-26-2020, 08:09 PM

I'm becoming a bit of an 00 collector. Last Saturday I visited Maple Street Guitar in Atlanta and played new 00s from Collings, Santa Cruz, and Lowden, and a used one from Bourgeois. I settled on the Bourgeois. The sweet tone of the Bourgeois was well suited to my laid back fingerstyle of play. Unfortunately, I had to leave it there to have the pickup replaced so I haven't given it a good home trial yet. I also have a Martin 00-28 and now I've just ordered an H&D T-0014. I also have a "Grand Concert" Taylor 712, not strictly an 00 but similar in size and scale to the Martin 00-28. Can't say yet where this will end.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:50 PM

I love my H&D TDR. I had it for over ten years. I’ve owned 4 other Huss and Daltons. All were great. Good players and a tone I love. My Martin authentic is bigger sounding, louder than any guitar I ever owned. May the timbre of theHuss is better, certainly different. If I had to ick one, it would be the Martin and mind you, I am not really a Martin guy. Just saying...
Martin D28 1937 Aged Authentic
John Walker Lochsa
Roberts Slope Dread
Johnny Rushing Ditson Style 12 Fret
Beard Goldtone Resonator
Bob Thompson Slope Shoulder
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion