The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-03-2014, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

Chris Bozung
http://www.cbguitars.com/

Kopp

d
Old 08-03-2014, 10:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

Although on the surface this seems like an admirable question, it's a little like asking who makes the best square-shouldered dreads? Uh, Martin.

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 08-03-2014 at 11:52 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedlife417 View Post
Although on the surface this seems like an admirable question, it's a little like asking who makes the best square-shouldered dreads? Uh, Martin.
Everyone has their own opinion and take on it and that's what I wanted to hear. Thanks to all those who have taken the time to share their thoughts, much appreciated, keep them coming.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:07 AM

Gibson. The best Gibsons since the 1940s are coming out of Montana right now, and I'm not just talking about the TVs. I've played TVs and standards back-to-back, and sometimes found Standards or 35s I liked better. I haven't played a J-15 yet but hear great things.

Find a 5-star dealer and make a day trip if you have to, and play a bunch of them. They all look a lot alike, but they can sound very different. I'll join the crowd on the boutique guitars. I've splayed Collings,SC, and bourgeois slopes. None of them sounded like Gibsons.

P
Old 08-04-2014, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedlife417 View Post
Mick:

Have you played one of these Epi 1963 J-45 clones? Or anyone, for that matter? I bought one a couple weeks ago (cuz it was mentioned on these boards recently) and got it delivered, but haven't had a chance to even tune or play it.

What are your impressions? I bought it mainly because I have a Masterbilt slope-shouldered dread that I love, but this one looks very cheaply made and clearly not in the same league. I'll keep it though, since I'm not a trader or a flipper, and tend to keep guitars for life.
I too have one - the burst version. I got it because I have the Epi AJ-220s which is very nice and worth twice the price. The 1963 J-45 is poor by comparison. It has a laminate top (in the UK it was advertised as solid - I went ape with the shop who sold it me and they checked with Epiphone who somehow had given out the wrong spec). The tuners aren't too good. This J-45 also costs 30% more than the AJ220s. It's a nice looking guitar - I have changed the pick guard to J45 tear drop and taken the headstock down to a more Gibson shape. It looks v nice but plays - well like a laminate top guitar. It would be fine if it cost say £100! because it is like a £100 Epi. But I hear that Epiphone are due to release a Masterbilt J45 so all is not lost!!
Old 08-04-2014, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStotes View Post
I would look to John Walker first. Then Greven, Fairbanks, and Kevin Kopp.
There is also a guy in Seattle that makes some really authentic sounding Gibby types. Look up Haxton guitars.
This is it, exactly. However, you're going to pay for it... but the joy is worth it!
Old 08-04-2014, 06:23 AM

Halcyon, Halcyon, Halcyon. I am not a Gibson or J45 fan, but another member here commissioned a custom based on the J45 and was more than pleased by tone, playability and price. I think this is the thread, but he had vs is having another one built so I am not sure if this is the J-45-like guitar or different one. Either way Halcyon guitars on facebook will tell you a lot and you can contact Ed Bond who builds them. He's almost as responsive as his guitars which are highly responsive !

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...hlight=halcyon

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (Ebony)
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (HC Burst)
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22
Old 08-04-2014, 08:05 AM

Dale Fairbanks.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmz76 View Post
Ever played one? I'd take it over anything else Epiphone is producing these days.
This is an older model - not the 2014 version that has a laminate top. I had that one and it really is no better than a £99 all laminate epiphone AJ model. Now the latest Masterbilt AJ-45ME is an all solid J45 clone and that does have at least some of the J45 feel and tone
I have considered the Gibson J-15, it is a very nice looking guitar, but from what I see of available stock in the UK retailers, it does not seem to be selling all that well

Last edited by mickthemiller; 05-16-2015 at 05:59 AM.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:48 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickthemiller View Post
This is an older model - not the 2014 version that has a laminate top. I had that one and it really is no better than a £99 all laminate epiphone AJ model. Now the latest Masterbilt AJ-45ME is an all solid J45 clone and that does have at least some of the J45 feel and tone
I have considered the Gibson J-15, it is a very nice looking guitar, but from what I see of available stock in the UK retailers, it does not seem to be selling all that well
I bought one with the laminate top and it's a stinker. I believe I bought it new from Sweetwater and will be lucky to get $100 for it on CL. Not even in the same league as a similarly priced Yamaha, for example.

I own and love my Epi MB AJ-500M -- it's my main guitar for gigging and open mics these days -- but I'm gonna sit on the sidelines and watch the new one for a while, see that people have to say. I'm still ticked at them for discontinuing the other slope dreads. I had two buddies play it at a jam the other night and they BOTH went ga-ga over it. I tend to buy used anyway, so probably wouldn't get one of these for a year or two.

BTW, it's my understanding that the bracing on the new EPI MB AJ-45ME is VERY different than a standard J-45, and early reports of people who've played them say they sound nothing like a J-45. On the other hand, I own an Eastman slope dread that looks identical to a J-45 but has its own -- and equally wonderful -- tone. So we'll see....

They should be shipping here in the next 30 days in the U.S., I believe.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

a 2nd for Fairbanks. when you play one you will know they are a step above anything else. I would love to try a B&C but find it hard to believe they could be much better and are significantly more expensive. My F35 is just an incredible guitar.

Kelly
Old 05-16-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshoe View Post
I liked the Gibson J45tv
I tried a j45tv about a month ago and it blew me away. it was the only one I tried though...but man oh man...it was nice-sounding.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:56 PM

Bagnasco & Casati...👍👍
Old 06-17-2018, 01:33 AM

Is it today or 4 years ago?
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 06-17-2018, 06:35 AM

Default Who's making the best J45 version today

Gibson - it's called a J-15, and it's available at your friendly local guitar shop for $500-1000 less than the various -45 models...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion