The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-30-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewh2 View Post
Mycroft,
That's a lovely set of guitars you have, the Martin 00-21 in particular is the guitar which put me towards the 12 fret 00. I'd have tried to have tracked down a BRW 00-21 but in the UK BRW guitars are thin on the ground.
A good point about the bass; actually I'm not the biggest fan of the dread bass sound for my playing anyway and I'm even a little cautious a 12 fret 000 may have too much bass (more bass than an OM, which is enough bass for me anyway).
The attack issue is a good point to consider. I like to play a lightly with fingernails in addition to using fingerpicks to play ragtime.
With using G and D tunings (two of my fav's as well) do your guitars fare with using slightly heavier strings? Another great point about seeking to find if the construction will match, I will keep that in mind.
I also forgot to mention: the 00-21 has a 1/13/16th" nut, the 00-18 is a "wide" slightly larger than 1 11/16" and the others all 1 3/4." Not everyone likes 00-21s due to the wider nut. I don't seem to have any problem with it, and I don't have very large hands.

I use lights on everything except the McAlister, which I picked up specifically for use as a hybrid-slide guitar. For that reason it has a slightly higher action, plus I usually string it with mediums and a .017 high E, but it is kept in Open tuning. I just had a set of lights on it in standard, though, and am going to have a second nut cut for when I want to play it with lower action.

TW
Old 11-30-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
I assume you meant 00, but my comments would apply equally in either case. Yes, I have played many rosewood 00s and 000s. I find them just as enjoyable as mahogany in most cases. The usual wisdom about increased bass and decreased mids applies, in my experience. In that regard, I think rosewood can help smaller guitars sound a little like bigger guitars. I personally don't usually pursue that goal, as I appreciate smaller guitars for what they are.

Short answer, yes rosewood 00s can sound very balanced. Same with rosewood 000s. In most cases I seem to gravitate to mahogany for the clarity, presence, and boosted mids. But there are always exceptions where I might prefer rosewood. It's highly individualized to a specific guitar.

My rosewood Brondel is a good example, I think. When I want a deep, resonant sound for drop tunings, I prefer this guitar. For standard tuning, I typically reach for the mahogany. But truly both sound great. Just two different flavors.
Thanks for the info.

I did indeed mean a rosewood 12 fret 000, rosewood 12 fret 00's I love the sound of (the Martin 00-21 being my benchmark) that have been balanced to my ears but I've just not come across any rosewood 12 fret 000's to date.

Some good points about the tonal spectrum of Mahogany, with the midrange in particular. I've been spending most of time playing in Open C and it's good to read that specific guitars/sounds work for certain applications for example drop tunings.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

I am blessed with a Collings 003G and an Eric Skye 00. They are both fabulous guitars and wonderfully comfortable. The Collings is a bit more articulate and slightly brighter than the Skye, but it has a rich low end and just like the Skye, plenty of headroom and responsiveness.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:08 PM

I love 12 and 13 fret OO's. I had a sinker/walnut OO built by John Fitzgerald five years ago and love it. It is a 13 fret and here was the link here on AGF.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...ghlight=keembo

I love it so much I commissioned John to build me another only this time a 12 fretter with cutaway and 24.9 scale with sinker cedar top and walnut b/s with cocobolo binding and macassar ebony fretboard. It will be shipped to me next week, and John commented that he was really pleased with this one and not in a hurry to let it go, so we will see next week.
Parkwood PW-340 FM-E spruce/maple
Guild GAD 30 PCE...spruce/padauk
Timberline T-70A/C
Tacoma DR-20
Tacoma DM-9
Guild GAD25
Old 11-23-2020, 05:22 PM

Hello, I have a 12 frets 00 Scale 25,5 made by hand by Claude Boucher, co-founder of Boucher Guitar and the Son of Norman Boucher (Norman Guitar). A wonderful instrument with a mastergrade Adirondak torrified top and Canadian wild cherry back and side. It sound incredible, very good projection, bass etc...Someone tell me that it's equal in quality of a Collings. I had a Boucher too, SG-52 and the small 00 sound/play as well!

See the construction here and the final photo.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ddzyeoCNnajxuNKk7

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion