The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-24-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehnsucht77 View Post
you can buy expensive pres but if your converters, room, mic and monitors aren't up to snuff, you aren't going to hear anything significant. this concept is the foundation of recording; your resulting signal is only as good as its weakest link.
I wholeheartedly agree. So true
Old 01-25-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
You have two connecting paths between your new Audient and your Alexis - (i) analog or (ii) SPDIF. Connecting via analog will use the Alexis analog preamp circuitry and will use the Alexis AD converters. Connecting via SPDIF will use only the Audient's preamps and its AD converters, leaving the Alexis to function merely as a SPDIF to Firewire protocol converter.
I bought the Audient specifically for the fact that it had the SPDIF and would practically bypass the Alesis - I did plenty of research! I think the io26 is still very good for the money, but am expecting the Audient to sound noticeably better. Or at least make me feel that what I'm hearing is better!

I'm keeping the io26 coz I like it, it works and has plenty of input and output options. For example, I used all 8 mic inputs to record a four piece band (me on vocals and guitar). However, for my own solo stuff, I'll just be recording through the Audient (albeit via the io26's SPDIF in and firewire out).

And guys, if you read the original post, I said I'm happy with my room acoustics and my mic and monitors are semi-pro standard (mic and monitors both cost around a grand a piece in your USD). Which is where I came in, asking if it is worth spending the money on a fairly high quality mic pre. "Your resulting signal is only as good as its weakest link" we all know is true, I felt the mic pres on the Alesis were a weak link.

I'll come back soon and let you know/hear how I'm getting on. But a sincere thanks to all of you for your input - AGF is the only forum worth hanging around in.

Gary
Old 01-25-2012, 04:07 PM

I finally got to the point where my weakest links in my signal chain are................my instrument and me! As far as your Audient interface, have you tested it out yet?

Last edited by Rick Shepherd; 01-25-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzamundo View Post
I bought the Audient specifically for the fact that it had the SPDIF and would practically bypass the Alesis - I did plenty of research! I think the io26 is still very good for the money, but am expecting the Audient to sound noticeably better. Or at least make me feel that what I'm hearing is better!

I'm keeping the io26 coz I like it, it works and has plenty of input and output options. For example, I used all 8 mic inputs to record a four piece band (me on vocals and guitar). However, for my own solo stuff, I'll just be recording through the Audient (albeit via the io26's SPDIF in and firewire out).

And guys, if you read the original post, I said I'm happy with my room acoustics and my mic and monitors are semi-pro standard (mic and monitors both cost around a grand a piece in your USD). Which is where I came in, asking if it is worth spending the money on a fairly high quality mic pre. "Your resulting signal is only as good as its weakest link" we all know is true, I felt the mic pres on the Alesis were a weak link.

I'll come back soon and let you know/hear how I'm getting on. But a sincere thanks to all of you for your input - AGF is the only forum worth hanging around in.

Gary
I do pretty much the same thing. I use an outboard 8 channel AD and DA converter and outboard preamps. I spent many years tweaking the front end - trying different mics, preamps and converters. I'm pretty set now. My Digi003, a decent enough interface with a ton of features, was merely a dongle to (i) allow use of ProTools and (ii) do the protocol conversion between ADAT and Firewire. Now, with ProTools 10, the first function is no longer needed. I'm waiting for a AES/EBU to Thunderbolt protocol converter before I can retire the Digi003.

Good luck with the Audient. I've heard some good things about them, although I've never tried any of their products.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

ya I am the weakest in my chain now.. Which consist of an Avid OMNI interface and converteres, Avid HD Native card, A Designs MP2A 2 channel mic pre, Bricasti outboard verb, Brauner Phantom V LDC vocal mic and a Schoeps CMC6 MK4 SDC guitar mic.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 01-25-2012, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
ya I am the weakest in my chain now..
My goal has always been to be the weakest link, so I have no excuses but to practice. That's where the biggest gains lie, regardless of your gear.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
My goal has always been to be the weakest link, so I have no excuses but to practice. That's where the biggest gains lie, regardless of your gear.
Amen to that

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 01-28-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd View Post
I finally got to the point where my weakest links in my signal chain are................my instrument and me! As far as your Audient interface, have you tested it out yet?
Well I've gotten as far as plugging it in!

Actually, I have done a little recording, but not using my studio mics or acoustic guitar, so no good posting that. I'm going to be doing some recording next week - if my singer bothers to turn up for rehearsal! Will hopefully give y'all some feedback then.

I too am definitely the weakest link, but getting better. The girl who sings with me occasionally is pretty good though! Hides my failings as a guitarist!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD