The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-21-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
What kind of pickup is in that Eastman?
No pickup.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:08 PM

Pretty much any Martin in that price range will have a basic UST which won’t get you anything you haven’t already got for live playing. If you really want a Martin get a straight acoustic and then add your own pickup in that price range.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Old 02-21-2019, 05:00 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Might want to checkout the new slope dread Martin unveiled at Winter NAMM - the DSS-17. I’ve had mine for a few weeks now and love it. Feather light, iconic Martin dread tone and lots of volume...aided by the lower bout being 1/2” wider than a standard Martin dread. You can snag one for +/- $1,300 from one of our sponsors (though some shops still have a waiting list for them) and have enough left over to add the pickup of your choice.
https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars...hiskey-sunset/

Old 02-21-2019, 06:56 PM

I've been impressed with the Martin Custom D. Played three of them now in my shop and all were nice guitars and they're only $899. Basically it's a bare bones Martin Dreadnaught. You can add a K&K pickup and you'll be all set.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage View Post
I've been impressed with the Martin Custom D. Played three of them now in my shop and all were nice guitars and they're only $899. Basically it's a bare bones Martin Dreadnaught. You can add a K&K pickup and you'll be all set.
I've been playing a Custom D for ten years. Sounded good when I bought it, but it opened up after about six months, and now sounds even better. Not a fundamentally different tone than a D-18. Wonderful all-solid guitar for the money. And it's made in Nazareth, PA.

Last edited by bufflehead; 02-21-2019 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Anything in the 15-Series - add your own pickup...
My thoughts too. K K or Baggs...
Old 02-21-2019, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Band Guitar View Post
I have no idea which Martin is best for what, Fine instruments, no negative comments on them.

Now the story.

A few weeks ago I played an open mike, after my set, as I was walking back to my table, guitar in case both ways. Someone at a table full of great players said to me, that is a great sounding Martin what model is it? I said not a Martin it's a bottom of the line Eastman E6D. I got a deer in the headlights look.
I picked up an E20D-TC (thermo-cured Adirondack top over EIR) with herringbone top and great build quality for $1559. Really an amazing dread especially at the price. Add a K&K Mini and you're set!
https://www.eastmanguitars.com/e20d_tc

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 02-22-2019, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I picked up an E20D-TC (thermo-cured Adirondack top over EIR) with herringbone top and great build quality for $1559. Really an amazing dread especially at the price. Add a K&K Mini and you're set!
https://www.eastmanguitars.com/e20d_tc
Eastman makes some killer instruments. As for the pickup, I'd recommend the Schatten HFN Passive over the K&K. I have both and I prefer the Schatten hands down. Slightly less output, but it's much more natural sounding.
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 02-22-2019, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
I don't know . I've always wanted a Martin and since I mostly play live/plugged in, I was wanting one that sounded good live.

Yes the Tak EF341SC sounds good live, but it's not "wowing" me. Maybe I was expecting more after reading all the comments about how great it sounds plugged in. Don't get me wrong, it sounds good...but I don't see it as much better, if at all, than my Epiphone DR500MCE. The Tak just sounds a bit too twangy to me, but to be honest, I haven't really worked on the live sound much or used any effects with it. The Epi seems to sound more full to my ears. I just plug it straight into my PA and fiddle with the 3 band EQ a bit.
Before you just go around buying guitars, you might want to invest in a quality preamp/DI and a few pedals. Then any guitar you use can be dialed in to sound great.

Plugging straight into the PA and expecting magic is like someone buying a Ferrari and leaving the tires half flat, putting 87 gas in it, and then thinking "gee maybe I need a different car this Ferrari just isn't cutting it."

Last edited by ii Cybershot ii; 02-22-2019 at 01:42 AM.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:38 AM

If you hunt for a while, you can find a
Martin OMC16e for around $1,500, I did.

Very good for performing when plugged in,
Only average when played unplugged,
My Gibson LC1 Cascade is better unplugged
Old 02-22-2019, 09:11 AM

I just picked up a TC Helicon Perform VG pedal. It has the "bodyrez" feature, but I don't think it's a DI/Preamp???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ii Cybershot ii View Post
Before you just go around buying guitars, you might want to invest in a quality preamp/DI and a few pedals. Then any guitar you use can be dialed in to sound great.

Plugging straight into the PA and expecting magic is like someone buying a Ferrari and leaving the tires half flat, putting 87 gas in it, and then thinking "gee maybe I need a different car this Ferrari just isn't cutting it."
Old 02-23-2019, 09:27 PM

So I guess the answer is to get the Martin that feels
The best to play and sounds decent unplugged and then just have the pickup of your choice installed? Something like an Anthem?

I found a nice GPCRSG today for $800 that might fit that bill. Although I’m not crazy about the GP shape. Seems like a copy of the Taylor GA guitars
Old 03-21-2019, 10:47 AM

Does that have the Matrix VT Enhanced system in it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Whiskey Picks View Post
Since I bought my 000-17e it has become my go-to gigging guitar. Very nice electronics and it handles all styles of music well. It might be a tad over your $1.5k range but not by much.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:39 AM

So in conclusion....there really isn't any Martin for under 1.5K with a good pickup system already installed. You need to go up in price to the 18 series and above and you get the Fishman Aura Enhanced VT pickup...or...get a non pickup model, like a D15 and install the system of your choice..or...get a DI/Preamp /EQ pedal and use that to improve your tone.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

I too think a 15 series with an added pickup is your best option. But, unless you are playing straight into a mic, 90 percent or more of your time comes from the pickup. Why put a nice guitar in a situation where it could get banged up? I bought a nice Blueridge for cheap, put in a pickup and to me it sounds just as good through an amp as my D35. Sure, it doesn't have the Martin logo, but it sounds pretty nice!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion