The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-08-2019, 12:01 PM

Stunning instrument there, mondoslug! You did good! Wish I could bond with the mod-V necks though.
And indeed, Kim Sherman is a gem! She was so helpful with my pre-owned Bourgeois OMS in September last year.
Go play now...

Bourgeois OMS Walnut/Redwood
Bourgeois 00 Pao Rosewood/Italian
Taylor K16ce Fall Limited Koa/Cedar
Old 02-08-2019, 12:21 PM

Congrats! I like your summary of initial impressions.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:10 PM

Very nice looking guitar. As per your discussion, I heartily recommend to anyone who has a 000/OM mahogany to add a rosewood OM by same builder to compliment it. Akin to many dualities in nature, the benefits of having both multiplies ones tonal options to the power of x10.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:18 PM

Default NGD to me - Collings OM-2H

One guitar I will never sell is my ‘97 Collings OM-3C. What a pure transparent sound.
Congratulations on your OM-2H!
Old 02-08-2019, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations!
Collings does something special with the OM models. I have an OM1 mahogany, and a rosewood D2H dread...best of both worlds for me.
And Kim is the best at Cotten Music.
Wish you the very best with the new instrument.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:41 PM

Best OMs I've ever played.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:29 AM

Hey all...thanks for checking in! I spent a lot of time here the past few months reading about folk's experiences with all these great instruments. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Great guitar. Perfect balance and never any wonky trebles in my experience. I hope you enjoy it.
Hey thanks Haasome, experiencing the same here so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kh1967 View Post
Congratulations on a very fine guitar. Kim is fabulous. You did well all around!
Hi Khori, thanks, agreed...I thought long and hard about buying your OM-28 but in the end decided I would try to get something locally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsfanforever View Post
Congratulations on a beautiful guitar! Enjoy!
Thanks rsfanforever, appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
Oh, yeah!!!

My Collings OM (OM2HG) is SO enjoyable...always love taking it out and playing it. And as it has played in/aged, it has sweetened up.

Enjoy your fabulous new guitar!
I'm also experiencing that feeling buddyhu, oh yeah! Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWRM4 View Post
Congrats on a beautiful looking Collings! The EIR looks stunning. I just bought a new OM2HG and absolutely love the feel and sound of it.

You should check out John Pearse phosphor bronze light strings for it. Many OM players highly recommend them over the EJ16s.

My OM2 came with fairly old EJ16s, and the first set I changed to were the JP PB lights. They sound great on it! I also have a set of EJ16s to try next to compare to them, but very happy with the JP strings so far.

Enjoy!
Hey SWRM4, thankin' ya. Congrats to you also. I will check out the JP Lights! I used to use them back in the day but for whatever reason I dunno, got away from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
That EIR does look fabulous! Best of luck with your new guitar!
Thanks Dwight...new guitars are fun .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
...Some might know that I'm a Collings addict, and don;t see them so much as soulless as clear precise and ... do you remember when we had to tune the carburettors to get our engines to run right - well now the microchips in our cars adjust tuning to the driver's way of driving ...well I see Collings like that - you have to let it "learn" how you play until it responds best to you.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

oh btw - here's my pal Mick playing his OM3 :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSnQ...xcCKw-B5N631fF
for some reason the link is very long and the AGF Youtube thingy won't accept it - try the above.
Silly Moustache, that is not lost on me. I've watched your 12 fret vids many times! Very informative. You and your friend sound great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
Beautiful guitar! A perfect example of why Collings is top tier in every respect.

And Kim is fantastic. She enjoys talking Leicas and photography as much as guitars and mandolins.
Hey Zissou - thanks, yeah no disagreement here. Yeah, she is...I was not aware of her photo skills but the pictures certainly are great. Great shop. I actually hadn't been there since they moved...which has been awhile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanR View Post
Congrats on the beautiful new guitar. I auditioned a number of OM's at Elderly a few years ago. I ended up purchasing my slightly used OM-28 because I decided my personal financial situation dictated that I scale back on the price. The Collings OM-2H DID win the audition that day.
Hi DanR, totally understand. Hey, I looked at many an OM-28, they don't take a back seat to anything. Congrats on the guitar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombox View Post
Congrats on what to me is the best sounding rosewood OM I've played. I did have the same issue with EJ16s - a little stiff in standard, but in dropped tunings and DADGAD it really improved. I'd still have mine if I could have got used to the modified V neck.
Thanks boombox, yeah I'm gonna try some different strings here. I hear ya on the neck. I've never been a huge V neck guy, but it's pretty relaxed on this guitar. More pronounced under the first few frets for sure but it feels ok.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No. 534 View Post
Stunning instrument there, mondoslug! You did good! Wish I could bond with the mod-V necks though.
And indeed, Kim Sherman is a gem! She was so helpful with my pre-owned Bourgeois OMS in September last year.
Go play now...
No. 534, great handle there! Thanks, I can appreciate your mod-V neck thoughts. I'm sure your Bourgeois OMS is killer, the neck on my Bourgeois Dread is very comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
Congrats! I like your summary of initial impressions.
zmf, thank you! They are initial for sure but some times first impressions....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Very nice looking guitar. As per your discussion, I heartily recommend to anyone who has a 000/OM mahogany to add a rosewood OM by same builder to compliment it. Akin to many dualities in nature, the benefits of having both multiplies ones tonal options to the power of x10.
Hey no doubt Jaden, more is good. Hey, before I purchased it, this guitar disappeared for awhile & there was very nice OM1A there that I'm sure I could have been happy with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Rose View Post
One guitar I will never sell is my ‘97 Collings OM-3C. What a pure transparent sound.
Congratulations on your OM-2H!
Yay you Mad Rose, I've said that with a few guitars...I no longer have. Waaahh. Thanks, yes on the sound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catndahats View Post
Congratulations!
Collings does something special with the OM models. I have an OM1 mahogany, and a rosewood D2H dread...best of both worlds for me.
And Kim is the best at Cotten Music.
Wish you the very best with the new instrument.
Thank you catndahats, gonna try real hard to keep my cats off of this guitar case. Two beauties you have for sure! Agreed, Kim & Cotten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb715 View Post
Best OMs I've ever played.
Well jrb715, I could be with you!
Old 02-10-2019, 10:00 AM

Added a short vid, hahahah

Last edited by mondoslug; 02-10-2019 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:11 AM

Beautiful piece! Congrats!
Old 02-10-2019, 10:40 AM

Never met a Collings guitar that I didn't LOVE!

Congrats!
Old 02-10-2019, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Sweet guitar!
I once again miss the D2H I once enjoyed. Sort of a tad brighter and clearer than a Martin, especially with the EJ16's.
Happy for you.

and special thanks for Mick Wills!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KMC...xcCKw-B5N631fF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KMC...xcCKw-B5N631fF
Old 02-10-2019, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on the Collings! Looks and sounds wonderful. And count me in the "unbelievably clear with great separation" camp. Cheers!
Old 02-10-2019, 11:51 PM

Nice. Congratulations on the Collings and on the D-18 from a few months back.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:07 AM

Guitar is pretty! Mostly I enjoyed the story. Fun writing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion