The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-23-2019, 07:59 AM

Default Feeling Trippy (coast to coast)

Last summer my daughter took me to Nashville for Father’s Day. I’d never been. It turned into a weekend of exploring guitar stores, hitting specific venues to listen to bands and pickers (we hit the Blue Bird Cafe for terrific evening of new music). This led to a weekend in Chicago to check out places to buy guitars (CME, Old Town School of Folk Music) and late night bars to hear young new bands.

We enjoyed this so much we want to keep doing it - Maybe twice, three times a year if we can - going on short trips to places and explore the guitar scene. Anyone have any suggestions? Anything related to the guitar, the history of guitar music, the technology, etc. PBS’ recent airing of RUMBLE and how the influence of Native American music has affected the music world now has me thinking I should include something along those lines for a future trip.

I’m curious to hear peoples thoughts and experiences.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:03 AM

Nashville is only 65 miles from where I live and when I was gigging a lot with our band, we used to make regular trips to Lower Broadway to listen to the house bands and see what the current trend was songs-wise! It's such a great town with amazing musicians and singers everywhere you look!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 01-23-2019, 09:16 AM

I think i will go see the mountain goats in Nashville and Memphis this year. I love the music and food and culture. I may even go to a guitar store but my wife is real put out by that when we vacation because it means we have to throw a suitcase out to put the new guitar in the car. snap... I think I'll get a bigger car too.,
Old 01-23-2019, 09:46 AM

Austin is a great place for that type trip. Tons of live music in the area, tour Collings, lots of guitar shops, etc.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:17 AM

I'll be at this one: http://laconnerguitarfestival.com/index.html

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion