The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-25-2018, 07:09 AM

Will, you are one of my very favourite artists ever, and have been since the time I discovered your music years ago during the Lowden Guitars competition we participated in together I very much look forward to see how your music grows with this new found relationship with a builder you can resonate with. Really happy to see this collaboration between one of my favourite artists and builder I am honoured to represent in my shop

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 07-30-2018, 01:20 PM

Default The Story of a Tom Sands Signature Guitar

The Story of a Tom Sands Signature Guitar
Part Two: "Rosettes, Rosettes, Rosettes"

Other than the response and feel of Tom's guitars, the other thing that really connected with me was his approach to design and material. This is particularly evident in his use of copper for his rosettes. Sometimes etched, sometimes patinated, but always entirely considered and appropriate.

I studied design at university, and as a result felt the potential of etched copper was perfect to revisit some of those skills I gained to produce my own "signature" rosette. It also helps that Tom and I share a love for the design movements of the past; Bauhaus, Memphis and the like, so were very much on the same wave-length from the start.

Cue a considerable amount of time on Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop...

I wanted to give a nod to my classical guitar upbringing with a radial pattern, but as understated as possible to not detract from the natural beauty of the copper. Tom took some nods from the old Martin D-28's, and my love of herringbone patterns all went into the pot. I believe it was Miles Davis who uttered the immortal: "It's not the notes you play, it's the notes you don't play" and in this instance it was definitely a case of "It's not the lines you etch, it's the lines you don't etch".

We tried a fair few iterations, and ended up with something we were both over-the-moon with. A simple, contemporary radial design with a nod to a contemporary take on herringbone and classical rosettes. The etched pattern will be quoted in the headstock wedge and on the back as well. Here's the three "final drafts" etched in the copper before protective film is removed.

I'm loving how it's looking against the Redwood, and can't wait to see it come together with the Black Limba as well!

Thanks for all your comments thus far - what a lovely community. More updates soon =)
Old 07-30-2018, 03:06 PM

Wow, fantastic, what a design and collaboration! Please let me add another to your long list of fans. Your music is inspiring.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:17 PM

As a signature model will this be available as an option to order from Tom, or is it more the ‘one off’ ?
Old 07-31-2018, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Default Greetings...

Hi Will

As SteveH said, it was lovely to meet you the other day and I'm so thrilled that you have fallen in love with Tom's work (as I and so many other's have). Hearing you play my Sands guitars showed exactly what they are capable of and having him build something which is precisely what you want/need should be even more impressive.

All of us can't wait to hear the results...as I'm sure you can't either!

Keep well and see you again soon I hope.

Adam
Martin OM-28 Authentic '31
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster
National Delphi Resonator

YouTube

Past guitars from: Mear & Gray, Tom Sands, Stefan Sobell, Dana Bourgeois, Marc Beneteau, Nigel Forster, Peter Abnett, Avalon, Lowden, Martin (vintage & modern), Gibson, Taylor, Yamaha, Fender and more...
Old 07-31-2018, 10:26 PM
Humanist

Tom & Will, two top-shelf guys.

Excellent.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 08-01-2018, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Wow, fantastic, what a design and collaboration! Please let me add another to your long list of fans. Your music is inspiring.
Ah thanks there Tom for the kind words - much appreciated. And yes this collaboration with Tom is one for which I feel very fortunate indeed!
Old 08-01-2018, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamianL View Post
As a signature model will this be available as an option to order from Tom, or is it more the ‘one off’ ?
Hi Damian, yes the plan is to have this signature model available for others as well =)
Old 08-01-2018, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
Hi Will

As SteveH said, it was lovely to meet you the other day and I'm so thrilled that you have fallen in love with Tom's work (as I and so many other's have). Hearing you play my Sands guitars showed exactly what they are capable of and having him build something which is precisely what you want/need should be even more impressive.

All of us can't wait to hear the results...as I'm sure you can't either!

Keep well and see you again soon I hope.

Adam
Hi Adam, thanks for the comment and yes so great to finally meet you as well. I think it's wonderful that you were one of the first to support Tom's work and see how bloody good it is! And that Koa one of yours will always tug at my heart every time I play it!

Yes - excited is an understatement it has to be said!

Hope to see you again soon, keep in touch and all the best.

Will
Old 08-01-2018, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Tom & Will, two top-shelf guys.

Excellent.
Thoroughly appreciate that, Larry - particularly coming from yourself. Thank you. Hope we get the opportunity to meet and play together sometime along the road.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:24 AM

Lovely looking rosette Will and fascinating to see the design process behind it.
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:27 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations to both Tom and you, Will. I will be following this thread eagerly as well. Lovely choice of woods you've got there, by the way!

I played and, even more importantly, heard YOU play the Model S Tom had in Berlin, and it was absolutely brilliant! It's great that you two gentlemen have joined forces and embarked on this project.
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 08-04-2018, 04:06 PM

Thanks kindly there Michael, it was such fun for me to jump into the design process for this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Watts View Post
Lovely looking rosette Will and fascinating to see the design process behind it.
Old 08-04-2018, 04:08 PM

Ah that's lovely of you to say, thank you. I'm also so pleased to hear you enjoyed what I did in Berlin =) That experience was what cemented in my mind that the Model S was the one for me. Looking forward to sharing the development more over the coming months!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deft Tungsman View Post
Congratulations to both Tom and you, Will. I will be following this thread eagerly as well. Lovely choice of woods you've got there, by the way!

I played and, even more importantly, heard YOU play the Model S Tom had in Berlin, and it was absolutely brilliant! It's great that you two gentlemen have joined forces and embarked on this project.
Old 09-29-2018, 02:12 AM

Hi Will,

Welcome to AGF - great to see you, and your signature model coming to life, on here!

What a treat to see one of my favourite players and composers collaborating with one of my favourite builders.

Looking forward to following the thread. (Though I must admit I've been following it for a while now on Tom's instagram...) Which reminds me - we're batch buddies, so I'd better get started on my own TS build thread!

Best,

Dan B
Kostal MDC German/claro and OM Euro/Madrose
Larrivee L-05MT
Lowden O35cx cedar/EIR, New Lady, Baritone, O12 and O12-12
McIlroy A25c custom Cedar/Kew black walnut
Montgomery fan fret parlour Euro/ebony
Sands Baritone Swiss/Ovangkol (another due 2022)
Wingert Model E German/Braz
Yairi 1960s Soloists

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop