The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-21-2019, 10:43 PM

Default Any more new owners of Eastman E10M?

I had read some positive reviews in the past but nothing lately.
Sold my L series Yamaha today and really looking hard at the Eastman E10M.
No one local has this model so would have to order it.
Been on a budget last few years and tend to bottom feed some.
No bottom tier from the big three appeals to me.
Thanks for all replies.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:29 AM

I tried one in October. It spoke to me. I went back and bought it. I have since installed a Seymour Duncan mag mic pickup in it. The guitar sounds incredible plugged in or unplugged. Fit and finish on mine is great. Go for it. If you'd like sound clips and don't mind my bad playing, go to the acoustic amplification section of this forum and check out my post there.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:32 AM

I've bought one for Christmas. Back and sides have a kind of "open pore" finish which I like very much, the sitka top has a kind of very light satin finish. The guitar is well finished (although not perfect: I found little "spots" on the tortoise binding of the body and the rosette looks definitely "cheap") and the ebony fingerboard and bridge are shiny and beautiful. The sitka top is ok, but nothing fancy (it has some dark strikings on it). The neck shape is very comfortable and it took just a few minutes to get acquainted with.
That being said, this guitar is very responsive and has a loud and direct voice: I love it! Every single note rings out clear and you can feel the guitar vibrating in your hands. I am sure that as you go up in price (E6, E10 etc. ...) you'll get more refined guitars by Eastman or other brands, but I do not think you'll find a better all solid acoustic guitar in this price range.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:39 AM

I love mine. Not a flaw on it when it arrived.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:03 AM

Bought mine in october, and continue to be impressed. Just a dang good guitar, and a great example of a classic mahogany/Sitka 000/OM. Mine was an earlier one, and has a full gloss top, but from what I hear, you can’t go wrong on this. $459 for an all solid, all around instrument? I’ve never regretted it.

FWIW, I too went from playing higher priced gear to “bottomfeeding” and I’m super pleased. I now own two top notch Eastmans, all solid, for less than 1k total. These guitars leave me lacking nothing for what I do. Would I take a Collings if I could? Absolutely! But I don’t feel like I’m “bottomfeeding” at all.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

I just bought one

in the latest Wood and Steel , Bob Taylor describes sapele as having more top end shimmer than mahogany

I definitely hear it in the E1 OM , and am all smiles when I play mine
Old 02-22-2019, 10:28 AM

I have the E1D and echo what everyone else is saying. I think it is a great guitar. The build is good, looks really nice, and sounds great.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:59 AM

Default eastman e1om

I also would like to here some options, I bought an T386 couple years back and it's great.
Haven't been able to find a eastman e1om to see and feel for myself, to see if fret ends are rough and playing feel.
RwP

Last edited by RwP; 02-22-2019 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:02 PM

I was tempted by both the good reviews and price, but I'm sorry to say the open pore finish turned me off. I like neither the feel nor the look.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:25 PM

i bought my 2014 used, two years ago because i couldn't stand not having a Martin 000-28 style guitar anymore — the size and scale are perfect for me.
i finally got a great 52-year old Brazilian rosewood 000 two weeks ago.
i am keeping this now-redundant-to-me sized Eastman for its own exceptional self — which was not the plan.
That's what i think of this E10.
I have an untested sense that wood quality and workmanship have declined in the five years since mine was made, based on a sparse handful of comparisons.
2005 Line 6 Variax
2012 Rod Schenk koa-cedar custom-build FG
2014 Eastman 10-00
2020 Martin OM-28 Modern Deluxe
Old 02-22-2019, 01:59 PM

No, I don't own one but I think I should.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryblues75 View Post
I've bought one for Christmas. Back and sides have a kind of "open pore" finish which I like very much, the sitka top has a kind of very light satin finish. The guitar is well finished (although not perfect: I found little "spots" on the tortoise binding of the body and the rosette looks definitely "cheap") and the ebony fingerboard and bridge are shiny and beautiful. The sitka top is ok, but nothing fancy (it has some dark strikings on it). The neck shape is very comfortable and it took just a few minutes to get acquainted with.
That being said, this guitar is very responsive and has a loud and direct voice: I love it! Every single note rings out clear and you can feel the guitar vibrating in your hands. I am sure that as you go up in price (E6, E10 etc. ...) you'll get more refined guitars by Eastman or other brands, but I do not think you'll find a better all solid acoustic guitar in this price range.
Have you measured the neck for what the thickness is?
Old 02-22-2019, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

Curse Eastman's nomenclature...we are talking about the E1-OM, right? Easy to confuse with the E10-OM. I, too, would like opinions on the entry-level model. Its neck dimensions seem to be almost exactly what I'm looking for but there are none locally for me to try out.
2010 Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster
1974 Rickenbacker 4001 Bass
Old 02-22-2019, 02:47 PM

I had one for a while and sold after getting a 000-18e retro. They are nice and live up to what is said about them. Not a standard Martin but not lower end either. You'll enjoy it.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personatech View Post
Curse Eastman's nomenclature...we are talking about the E1-OM, right? Easy to confuse with the E10-OM. I, too, would like opinions on the entry-level model. Its neck dimensions seem to be almost exactly what I'm looking for but there are none locally for me to try out.
Well, Eastman doesn't use hyphens in their nomenclature, so it should be easy to tell them apart. The problem is most other mfrs. do use hyphens and that is what can cause us to confuse the models. Now, if we could only remember which mfrs. use hyphens and which ones don't, we'd be darn near perfect.

https://www.eastmanguitars.com/e1om

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion