The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-25-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutch View Post
I got my start many moons ago with a pair of Sony VO 5800/5850 3/4" uMatic decks and a RM-440 cuts only edit controller. This nonlinear stuff is a breeze by comparison!
Yes, me too. I had some experience with linear on-line editing as well, an expensive and sometimes tedious process. When non-linear digital editing finally became viable, in many ways it was a return to plain old physical film editing, which was of course non-linear by definition (I had done some of this in school, mostly on 16mm). I had a love/hate relationship with the rm-440's for sure. Some of them were more accurate than others, or maybe it was the 3/4 machines themselves that varied in accuracy.
Old 12-25-2017, 05:30 PM
Guitar Gourmet

MY first experience was linear as well: Four Ampex 1" machines, a CMX editor controller, and an Audixtronics 501 console. The CMX editor (man) handled the video editing and I handled the audio editing and mixing.

Interewsting thing about the stock faders in this console: they consisted of a rotary pot with a spiral vane mounted on the shaft. The fader handle rode in the spiral and spun the pot as you moved it up and down.

The next experience was with an EECO synchroniser, Ampex MM1200 tape deck, and Neve 8024 console. Once again I was editing and mixing audio.

The pic is from 1984 and the EECO is behind my head. I've still got that control panel and the quad master fader from the console.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-25-2017, 06:24 PM

Those are some great photos.
I remember starting (on-line) with "The Edge" but then moving into CMX. Those match frames were tough. Some real "dirty" effects boxes in the line too, Mirage was one of them as I remember. I welcomed digital editing, and started with Avid but moved into Final Cut pretty quickly. If I had any chops I've lost them now. I just use FC express for home projects, you tube posts, etc..
Old 12-26-2017, 07:45 AM

I light, shoot and edit. FCP 7 and FCP X. It's part of how I make a living.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 12-26-2017, 08:35 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoryDavis View Post
Those are some great photos.
I remember starting (on-line) with "The Edge" but then moving into CMX. Those match frames were tough. Some real "dirty" effects boxes in the line too, Mirage was one of them as I remember. I welcomed digital editing, and started with Avid but moved into Final Cut pretty quickly. If I had any chops I've lost them now. I just use FC express for home projects, you tube posts, etc..
I remember when CMX started offering edits at the "field" level of precision, sixty per second! Yay!

Then we moved to a Lynx Timeline system with three-hundred subframes per second accuracy (one hundred subframes per frame) on both edits and sync points.

I've actually got a keyboard like that one tucked away at work as well. Spent hundreds of hours editing on that.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-08-2018, 06:55 AM

Whew! Finished editing this 2 hour, 21 minute video. I had to create 443 graphics for this project which accompanies my book THE FRETBOARD, Vol 1. Now I need to figure out how to get it from Final Cut Express to: 1. a DVD, 2. a streaming file for Amazon - with a menu that allows you to jump to specific sections. Any advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated. I know more about video than I did before I started this project, but still have a LOT to learn.

Last edited by 815C; 01-08-2018 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 815C View Post
Whew! Finished editing this 2 hour, 21 minute video. I had to create 443 graphics for this project. Now I need to figure out how to get it from Final Cut Express to: 1. a DVD, 2. a streaming file for Amazon - with a menu that allows you to jump to specific sections. Any advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated. I know more about video than I did before I started this project, but still have a LOT to learn.
Yikes what a project ......... first do you mean burning one DVD or creating a Master file for mass duplication ?

Here is how this bloke did One DVD in FCP Express and iDVD ( you will need an optical drive) either built in or outboard

As for mass duplication you would want to contact the duplication house and see what file format they recommend .

As for Amazon if you have an amazon sales account. I assume you can call them and find out what file format they recommend to use for streaming products . If not then you will have to set up one https://services.amazon.com/selling/...g-started.html

The menu for different sections I have no clue

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 01-08-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:33 PM

Fazool, Hilarious. Loved that video
Old 01-10-2018, 07:30 PM

For those interested in dabbling...I've been using a FREE editor called Resolve, from Black Magic Design, and it is pretty darn powerful. Be warned though, it is intended for color graders but has pretty decent editor in it as part of the suite. If you haven't done any video editing before it's probably not the best introduction. If you have, it's worth a look.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 01-26-2018, 08:43 AM

I'm a dabbler in video too - just simple 3 or 4 minutes videos to accompany my instrumentals. I've had good success with the free program Shotcut https://shotcut.org/ - although I have no idea how it would scale up to some of the larger video projects mentioned above.

My Music (Guaranteed bagipe free!): https://soundcloud.com/derek_barlas

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD