The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-24-2019, 07:43 AM

NEVER ship to an address other than the verified paypal address. I cant stress this enough. Waiting 10 days won't do anything. Having the funds in your account won't do anything. The buyer can simply claim that the guitar never showed up at their address and technically they won't be wrong. Paypal will take your money.

I don't mean to scare you but I sell over 1500 items a year on ebay and reverb and have seen every scam in the book. Most likely you aren't getting scammed but the possibility is always there.

I would do this. Write to the buyer and explain that you can't ship to any address other than the verified paypal address. Tell him you are happy to refund his money and have him pay again but with the address he wants it shipped to as his paypal address. He will have to change this in his paypal account but it's not a big deal. If the buyer agrees, I don't see a problem. If he doesn't, walk away.

And one more time for the people in the back. Never, and I mean NEVER ship anything to an address other than the buyers verified paypal address.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
Have you asked the buyer for an explanation? Also, you could contact the Reverb admin to ask their advice.
Op here, i captured the ohone number associated with the buyer. It is NY phone number. The ship to address is Cincinnati, Oh.
The person to ship to "Grace Choi" is not the buyer. I googled Grace Choi and come up with a ballerina in Cincinnati or a comic book character.
I think i will ask Reverb for suggestion. I may do a refund, but first u need to make absolutely sure the funds are cleared at my bank.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsstrider View Post
Op here, i captured the ohone number associated with the buyer. It is NY phone number. The ship to address is Cincinnati, Oh.
The person to ship to "Grace Choi" is not the buyer. I googled Grace Choi and come up with a ballerina in Cincinnati or a comic book character.
I think i will ask Reverb for suggestion. I may do a refund, but first u need to make absolutely sure the funds are cleared at my bank.

The buyer asked you to ship it to someone other than them? That is a big red flag. Definitely do not ship it to this person.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Call PayPal and explain your concern. Ask if they have confirmed the buyer name/address, ask what they require so you are protected, and if they they email this to you for your records. They may not do that last piece but they should keep notes of the call in their system.

Likely paypal wants shipping to the confirmed name and address with full insurance and a signature. Require signature of the confirmed name only unless PayPal confirms it’s Ok for someone else st that address to sign and still be protected. My concern with sending to a “complex” is someone unrelated not at the “exact” PayPal address could sign and invalidate your protection.

The funds may have cleared your bank but PayPal can dock your account and possibly your credit card (not sure). Just saw your update about a different name. Major red flag.
Guilds: 69 F312 Braz, 89 Nightbird II, 91 Nightbird CU, 94 GV70, 96 A50 flattop, 06 CO1 Cedar, 11 F30CE, 13 CS F30R Reno Star, 14 GSR F30CE Coco, Orpheum OM RW, Orpheum SS Hog. SOLD: Guilds: 78 F40,79 F112,’87 GF60R,94 DV72,07 CS F47 Braz,11 DD6MCE,12 F30,12 F30R,18 F2512. Other: 70 Epi 5102,74 Ibanez LesPaul,90 Gibson ES347,15 Alvarez MFA70,15 Martin OM28VTS,15 Epi ES339Pro,16 Alvarez AF60
Old 03-24-2019, 07:57 AM

Yes, it’s a scam. Cancel the sale. I can’t believe how much bad advice is in this thread. You will lose your guitar and the money.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
Yes, it’s a scam. Cancel the sale. I can’t believe how much bad advice is in this thread. You will lose your guitar and the money.
I am inclined to cancel the sale. Should i wait to make sure funds have cleared my bank before issuing a refund?
Old 03-24-2019, 08:01 AM

I would Only ship to verified PayPal address.
Trust your instinct.
Just Call PayPal they have a toll free phone # .
and they will advise you what to do to cancel.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89bruin View Post
Careful. Paypal can come back after the funds ... and will. Shipping to an unverified address is a known Paypal scam. The item is shipped and the “buyer” claims he never received it, Paypal sees it wasn’t shipped to a verified address and sides with the buyer. I’d be very careful.
This is good advice. We just had a thread the other day about this. Before you ship the goods, make sure your money is secure. Check and double check with Paypal and your bank.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I am inclined to cancel the sale. Should i wait to make sure funds have cleared my bank before issuing a refund?
That's a good question for someone at PayPal. My gut feeling is that if PayPal OKed the funds to you, then the funds are good. The potential scam would seem to be that the guitar would have been shipped to the scammer at a bogus address, and then he/she would make a claim saying that the guitar had never been received. If you'd sent it to a non-verified address, PayPal would likely side with the "buyer." Don't ship the guitar and ignore the advice of those who said that since the funds have gone into your account, you're ok to ship the guitar....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-24-2019, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Here's the thread about a similar situation. Under no circumstances ship to an unverified PayPal address if you want seller protection.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=541855
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 03-24-2019, 08:54 AM
G625 mistral-k

Here are PayPal's "rules" for seller protection

and key provisions are cited below

Quote:
How to be eligible for PayPal Seller Protection.
To be eligible for PayPal Seller Protection, you must meet all of the following requirements.

The primary address for your PayPal account must be in the United States.

The item must be a physical, tangible good that can be shipped.

You must ship the item to the shipping address on the transaction details page in your PayPal account for the transaction. If you originally ship the item to the recipient's shipping address on the transaction details page but the item is later redirected to a different address, you will not be eligible for PayPal Seller Protection. We therefore recommend not using a shipping service that is arranged by the buyer, so that you will be able to provide valid proof of shipping and delivery.

You must respond to PayPal's requests for documentation and other information in a timely manner as requested in our email correspondence with you or in our correspondence with you through the Resolution Center. If you do not respond to PayPal’s request for documentation and other information in the time requested, you may not be eligible for Seller Protection.

If the sale involves pre-ordered or made-to-order goods, you must ship within the timeframe you specified in the listing. Otherwise, it is recommended that you ship all items within 7 days after receipt of payment.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basalt Beach View Post
Here are PayPal's "rules" for seller protection

and key provisions are cited below

[/INDENT]
Thank you all for responding. I think i will cancel the sale and issue a refund. I will verify with PayPal before issuing refund.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:25 AM

The paypal rule cited above doesnt state it must be to a verified address which is confusing.

I have seen scams where the money was in your account, it was fraud, seller refunds the amount which is real money and then you are out the money.

I would first talk to Reverb and explain. Reverb is great and will walk you through this process. I would also recommend using reverbs checkout processing vs paypal because reverb is easier to deal with and quicker to respond. They are also very fair with sellers vs paypal.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
This is bad advice, really bad advice.
Ditto.

Paypal ALWAYS gives the edge to the buyer. Even if you THINK you've had a successful sale and even spent or withdrawn the funds Paypal will simply go after the funds in other ways. I've seen this happen personally.

Best to verify with the purchaser in personal communication and back out if you feel uncomfortable. Even personal communication is no guarantee that something can't go wrong.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
I think i will ask Reverb for suggestion....
Good idea. I always use reverb chat - you can get answers in a matter of minutes. Start a chat (not sure if they're "open" on Sunday) and tell them your situation. See what reverb says!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion