The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-13-2019, 09:11 PM

Hi,
You are all right I admit.

Jamming would be great. I do the occasional jam with a mate who plays great harp.

Unfortunately there aren't many people around to jam with. I dont have the confidence to answer ads or open mic. Easier when I was younger. Thats why I was thinking about lessons.

Expertise? I'm told I'm good, (play REMish, Paul Weller, Neil Finn sorta stuff and blues) but my Led Zep/ACDC mates have other opinions
1978 Greco LP EG 1000
Yamaha THR10
Vox Pathfinder
Vox Adio Air
Old 03-13-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred4321 View Post
Hi,

I have read a few of the posts about being in a rut, but I'm not sure its me.

Basically I am 60 yrs old, playing guitar since 16 yrs old.

Lately I am finding that playing guitar doesn't interest me as it did in the past. In fact its starting to become a chore.

Funnily though, I am getting better at making up my own music and putting together rhythms and structures and navigating the fret board.

But the lack of motivation is setting in enough that its bothering me.

I've been thinking that maybe I should take up lessons (have a couple of times in the past) to help vibe me up with the guitar.

Don't have access to others to play with or if I do we are miles apart with styles and taste.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

cheers
What kind of music do you typically play or like to play?
Whatever the type, try stepping out of your usual "box." Give yourself a challenge. It need not be extreme or unreasonably difficult . Just make it different from what you are used to.

If, for example, you play traditional folk music, try to come up with an arrangement of a classic Motown tune.

Another motivator is having something that comes up regularly and kind of forces you to work toward a short term goal.

I belong to a song circle that meets once a month. It takes place 50 miles away. I enjoy the social aspect of the event. I am not always motivated to work on a song or two for the circle. Sometimes, I don't feel like going. I push myself to go and have something to perform. To have something to contribute. Once there, I am happy to have pushed myself.

You said there is nobody close to play with. What if you, too, had something that took place once a month or every six weeks?
Sometimes being part of something is a good motivator without being a goal to difficult to reach.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post
What kind of music do you typically play or like to play?
Whatever the type, try stepping out of your usual "box." Give yourself a challenge. It need not be extreme or unreasonably difficult . Just make it different from what you are used to.

If, for example, you play traditional folk music, try to come up with an arrangement of a classic Motown tune.

Another motivator is having something that comes up regularly and kind of forces you to work toward a short term goal.

I belong to a song circle that meets once a month. It takes place 50 miles away. I enjoy the social aspect of the event. I am not always motivated to work on a song or two for the circle. Sometimes, I don't feel like going. I push myself to go and have something to perform. To have something to contribute. Once there, I am happy to have pushed myself.

You said there is nobody close to play with. What if you, too, had something that took place once a month or every six weeks?
Sometimes being part of something is a good motivator without being a goal to difficult to reach.
Hi, what you are saying is quite true.
1978 Greco LP EG 1000
Yamaha THR10
Vox Pathfinder
Vox Adio Air
Old 03-14-2019, 07:15 AM

I know someone else in your situation. He purchased an 8-track recorder and does songs himself. Do a couple guitar parts, maybe bass or keyboard and singing. Then he records it and burns a disk for friends and family. Sometimes he does albums for his grandkids. Have fun.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Default wikiloops?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred4321 View Post
Hi,
You are all right I admit.

Jamming would be great. I do the occasional jam with a mate who plays great harp.

Unfortunately there aren't many people around to jam with. I dont have the confidence to answer ads or open mic. Easier when I was younger. Thats why I was thinking about lessons.

Expertise? I'm told I'm good, (play REMish, Paul Weller, Neil Finn sorta stuff and blues) but my Led Zep/ACDC mates have other opinions
How about wikiloops? It's jamming, just not in real time.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:16 AM

Playing for your own edification can get boring and lonesome. One suggestion that is economical is to challenge yourself to learn a new piece from youtube how-to videos or any other source you may use for this purpose, once a week, and then grab your spouse/friend/neighbor or anyone else who will listen and perform it for them.

This creates a goal for you to accomplish and a reason to learn. When you play for someone else, you will always put in a good effort so as not to embarrass yourself. Having a goal and purpose are the keys to motivation for most things in life.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Fred,

If the problem is that your are bored with playing, then lessons seem like a good idea. It works for me, I'm very motivated to practice and not fall on my face every week

If the problem is that you don't have time to play enough due to the other priorities you mentioned (work, family) then this is just one more thing on your plate.....

Motivation comes and goes. I'd give it a little break, I think after a few (days/ weeks/months depending on your situation) I'll bet you are itching to play again. It is a marathon, not a sprint. You didn't get to where you are by being unmotivated!

Best of luck.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:50 PM

Hi,
Enjoying reading these suggestions, lots of wisdom here.
1978 Greco LP EG 1000
Yamaha THR10
Vox Pathfinder
Vox Adio Air

Last edited by fred4321; 03-15-2019 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:04 PM

Great suggestions here. Don’t think I have anything that hasn’t been said, but I will share my own experience. Anything, be it lessons, an ope mic, or a jam session, that gives you a time frame to work toward, will move you forward. I’ve been taking lessons via Skype for five years now, and I’d been playing for a long time prior to that. Like you, I was in some what of a rut. I’ve learned so much and the lessons are so much fun!(And I will take a moment to plug another AFG member, stringfive aka KC Craine, for anyone who is looking for a Skype teacher.) One of the first things I told him was that there was a local open mic and I wanted to start performing there. You say you don’t have the confidence? I wanted the floor to swallow me the first time I got on stage, but I kept going back and now I really enjoy it. Last year I took about six months of singing lessons and that too, has really built my confidence about singing. Now I “get” that my voice is also really an instrument, and I learned so much in just a short time. I think the key is to keep learning and get out of our comfort zone. That’s where growth occurs and you stay excited about what you’re doing.

2015 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
early 80's Ovation Ultra 1517
2011 Seagull Entourage Rustic
2011 Taylor Limited NS214ce
2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa e
2018 Loar LH 301t
1998 Breedlove Fall Limited # 10 of 20 Redwood/Walnut
Old 03-16-2019, 10:28 PM

Great suggestions here. Don’t think I have anything that hasn’t been said, but I will share my own experience. Anything, be it lessons, an ope mic, or a jam session, that gives you a time frame to work toward, will move you forward. I’ve been taking lessons via Skype for five years now, and I’d been playing for a long time prior to that. Like you, I was in some what of a rut. I’ve learned so much and the lessons are so much fun!(And I will take a moment to plug another AFG member, stringfive aka KC Craine, for anyone who is looking for a Skype teacher.) One of the first things I told him was that there was a local open mic and I wanted to start performing there. You say you don’t have the confidence? I wanted the floor to swallow me the first time I got on stage, but I kept going back and now I really enjoy it. Last year I took about six months of singing lessons and that too, has really built my confidence about singing. Now I “get” that my voice is also really an instrument, and I learned so much in just a short time. I think the key is to keep learning and get out of our comfort zone. That’s where growth occurs and you stay excited about what you’re doing.

2015 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
early 80's Ovation Ultra 1517
2011 Seagull Entourage Rustic
2011 Taylor Limited NS214ce
2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa e
2018 Loar LH 301t
1998 Breedlove Fall Limited # 10 of 20 Redwood/Walnut
Old 03-17-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanray1113 View Post
Thanks for the reply.
I have spent the weekend taking on these suggestions. Made up a song list, sorted backing tracks & music and rearranged my music space. Even ordered a looper pedal.
1978 Greco LP EG 1000
Yamaha THR10
Vox Pathfinder
Vox Adio Air

Last edited by fred4321; 03-17-2019 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:17 PM

Do you write your own music? If not, you should try it. It will flex your mental muscles and maybe give you ways to create and still stay true to the style(s) you enjoy.

Just a thought

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 03-18-2019, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Do you write your own music? If not, you should try it. It will flex your mental muscles and maybe give you ways to create and still stay true to the style(s) you enjoy.

Just a thought
Yes I have made up stuff but did not write it down. Thought about this lately.
1978 Greco LP EG 1000
Yamaha THR10
Vox Pathfinder
Vox Adio Air
Old 03-18-2019, 01:19 AM
Charter Member

Fred, I kinda know what you mean. I’m similar in age to you and in time behind the fretboard. I tend to play everyday, but only for half an hour or so, not the hours on end I would do when I was younger. I do gig with regularity and play various jams and open mics for fun. Nevertheless, there are days - yesterday for example - when I just don’t feel like picking up the instrument.

I don’t see this as a problem. I simply have reached a level of competence that fits my goals in music; the only work I put in is in the acquisition and arranging of new songs.

As for taking lessons to stimulate interest, that would not be a solution I would personally turn to. But then, I have never taken formal lessons. But in your case, in as much as that you regard your waning interest as a problem and that you have a history of having had formal instruction, why not?
Old 03-18-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
Fred, I kinda know what you mean. I’m similar in age to you and in time behind the fretboard. I tend to play everyday, but only for half an hour or so, not the hours on end I would do when I was younger. I do gig with regularity and play various jams and open mics for fun. Nevertheless, there are days - yesterday for example - when I just don’t feel like picking up the instrument.

I don’t see this as a problem. I simply have reached a level of competence that fits my goals in music; the only work I put in is in the acquisition and arranging of new songs.

As for taking lessons to stimulate interest, that would not be a solution I would personally turn to. But then, I have never taken formal lessons. But in your case, in as much as that you regard your waning interest as a problem and that you have a history of having had formal instruction, why not?
Thanks for your answer.
Last year I broke my arm and was out of action re guitar playing for 9 weeks, I was worried about my dexterity (right arm) and when the plaster was off couldn't wait to start playing. Stiff and sore for a while but this sense of being very grateful that I can play at my level overtook me.
I like your comment;
"I simply have reached a level of competence that fits my goals in music" as that is how I feel mostly.
1978 Greco LP EG 1000
Yamaha THR10
Vox Pathfinder
Vox Adio Air

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write