The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
We'll even let him keep his social security.
It is a good thing he got out when he did. I just sent him an email explaining how lucky he is.
Old 03-09-2019, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
We'll, that certainly gave me pause for optimism.

Anyway, maybe all of us who have all that disposable income could do something for someone else instead of buying more expensive guitars. Just a thought.

Or you can do both.

As long as human beings have passion to build a better mousetrap there will be builders and folks that want to explore what they are offering. Many people choose to buy things even if they don’t have the resources and we have built quite an industry around that for better or worse.

I like choice and am aware that no matter the economic system, there are compromises with all of them.

Best,
Jayne
Old 03-09-2019, 11:37 AM

Need?.. None.
Yamaha FG 410A
Cordoba Acero D9ce
Old 03-09-2019, 11:59 AM

As many as the market can bear. It's called elasticity of demand. If it was controlled there may never have been Fender, Taylor, Eastman, PRS, Larrivee, etc. There would only be Martin and Gibson. Peoe like freedom and variety.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:51 PM

Default How Many Manufacturers Do We Really Need

When I got into this game in the early-60's, there were comparatively few first-tier manufacturers on the market: Martin, Gibson, Guild, Gretsch, Rickenbacker, Fender, and Epiphone (both Kalamazoo and the remaining NOS New York instruments still gracing dealer stockrooms)...

The student/intermediate/budget market was covered by Harmony, Kay, Favilla, Supro/Valco, Premier, Danelectro - along with their respective contract-production instruments - and a cornucopia of no-name jobber guitars, as well as the occasional Goya/Espana/Framus import (Hofner and Hagstrom were virtually unknown in the US, the Japanese guitar boom was just getting into gear, Korea/Indonesia/Taiwan were non-players, and there was no trade with China)...

There were a few niche companies like Magnatone and Mosrite...

A handful of individual luthiers here and abroad serviced the high-end archtop/classical/specialty market...

The bottom line is that each one brought something different to the table - tone, appointments, design, production methods, ergonomics, value-per-dollar, company tradition, etc. ...

Today I can buy an all-solid-wood sitka/EIR OM with a 1-3/4" nut, 25.4" scale, and vintage-style tuners for $500, $3K, $15K, or any price in between, from a couple dozen makers - the same goes for an S-type electric with three PU's, a 5-way switch, and bolt-on all-maple neck...

While all guitars are of necessity variations on a common theme, in the not-too-distant past it was all about building the genuinely better mousetrap - now it's unfortunately become a matter of how much you're willing to spend for what amounts to the same mousetrap with a different brag factor...

I love high-end guitars as much as anyone, but how many reproductions of a J-45/D-18/OM-28/Telecaster can the market take - at any price - and other than a certain very well-known company, where are the real innovators on the mass-market level?

Let the games begin...
Old 03-09-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
- now it's unfortunately become a matter of how much you're willing to spend for what amounts to the same mousetrap with a different brag factor...

I love high-end guitars as much as anyone, but how many reproductions of a J-45/D-18/OM-28/Telecaster can the market take - at any price - and other than a certain very well-known company, where are the real innovators on the mass-market level?
Feel better now?
Old 03-09-2019, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
When I got into this game in the early-60's, there were comparatively few first-tier manufacturers on the market: Martin, Gibson, Guild, Gretsch, Rickenbacker, Fender, and Epiphone (both Kalamazoo and the remaining NOS New York instruments still gracing dealer stockrooms)...

The student/intermediate/budget market was covered by Harmony, Kay, Favilla, Supro/Valco, Premier, Danelectro - along with their respective contract-production instruments - and a cornucopia of no-name jobber guitars, as well as the occasional Goya/Espana/Framus import (Hofner and Hagstrom were virtually unknown in the US, the Japanese guitar boom was just getting into gear, Korea/Indonesia/Taiwan were non-players, and there was no trade with China)...

A handful of individual luthiers here and abroad serviced the high-end archtop/classical/specialty market...

The bottom line is that each one brought something different to the table - tone, appointments, design, production methods, ergonomics, value-per-dollar, company tradition, etc. ...

Today I can buy an all-solid-wood sitka/EIR OM with a 1-3/4" nut, 25.4" scale, and vintage-style tuners for $500, $3K, $15K, or any price in between, from a couple dozen makers - the same goes for an S-type electric with three PU's, a 5-way switch, and bolt-on all-maple neck...

While all guitars are of necessity variations on a common theme, in the not-too-distant past it was all about building the genuinely better mousetrap - now it's unfortunately become a matter of how much you're willing to spend for what amounts to the same mousetrap with a different brag factor...

Let the games begin...
....love this perspective..:.how many incarnations a tele or a dreadnought the market can endure is yet to be determined...it does feel like the more innovative a guitar design is the less likely it is to be successful...go figure
Old 03-09-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
But the point is whether you're neutral when it comes to guitars.
Neutral guitars sound a bit flat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorne View Post
The builder of my guitar is retired. Is it OK if I keep mine? I mean, he's not going to bother us any more...
I hope not!

Quote:

Let the games begin...
You make a valid point that many, IMHO, will not or do not like to admit.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:25 PM

Henry Ford allowed people to have a car in any color they desired as long as it was black.

Following that thinking (his all black model T being produced with few changes for many years) we should all be playing a working man's non-burst, all gloss Yamaha FG150 with the choice of Fender light, medium or heavy tortoise celluloid picks, National celluloid thumb pick and a Dunlop elastic capo. That would definitely separate players from buyers.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
If there were no competition, you are correct. In my OP, I suggested around 12 mfrs. That would be enough competition to prevent what you suggested might happen.
You do know that the only reason we keep economists employed is to make the weatherman look good, right?

Every government that wrote a five year production plan for their state owned industries has tried to do what you're suggesting. It is better to let the guitar buyers figure out what guitar buyers need. Who knows? We might only need 11. Or 111.

Anyway, I have to agree with everyone else who has pointed out how nice it is to have a wide range of choices, prices, woods, craftsmanship, style, etc. I do think we are blessed to have so much choice.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:32 PM

Way less, for sure. We don't even need this many models.

Let's see:

I don't prefer mahogany so we'll get rid of those.

I don't like cheap guitars so we'll have nothing under $4,000.

No bursts, no cutaways. No dreads - too big.

Hey, this is easy.

No long scale or small nuts (those are for squirrels).

Definitely no low sustain models.

OK: Lowden, Dana B and Froggies, and I'll keep Olsen because I like James Taylor. Maybe high end Martin's, but I don't want to crowd the field.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 03-09-2019, 05:53 PM

Sorry I will not read through this...stuff. The only answer is: Whatever the market will bear. End of story.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realbluesman View Post
Sorry I will not read through this...stuff. The only answer is: Whatever the market will bear. End of story.
...that’s a shame...there were some very nice replies in this thread...
Old 03-09-2019, 07:55 PM

It’s great to live in a world where we can follow our passion and if we are good at what we do we can be rewarded financially. The market is restricted by demand which means the best rise to the top. I’m sure there are many wanna be guitar manufacturers that can’t or didn’t make it for a variety of reasons. The ones that have become successful supply us with some great guitars at all price points. I’ll take more of that please.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:30 PM

Default How Many Manufacturers Do We Really Need

Many thousands more would be nice. A huge oversupply should cause prices to come way down.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion