The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 12:07 PM

[QUOTE=Dwight;5987222]Is it possible you misunderstood? Hard to imagine anyone not knowing the value of an item they bought and getting it 100% wrong.

... Maybe their was something else included with the deal?

This... sorta. Being on the outside looking in I can't help but wonder did he really pay > $2000 for a 200 series Taylor (and someone ask that price) or could this possibly be youthful exaggeration?
Old 02-22-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Salle's to a minor for luxury items are generally voidable by the minor. I would I inform the parents immediately. Overpaying by $50 is one thing, this is not that. It's fairly close to criminal and should not be ignored.

A 200 series Taylor is not the holy Grail of guitars. There are more out there and at a better price.

Also, btw, there's a thing called "theft by deception."
There isn't necessarily theft nor is there necessarily deception. The seller asked a certain price. The buyer agreed to it. It isn't a new guitar with a MAP price, etc. It is a used guitar. It is worth what is agreed to. It may have been
intentionally over priced or perhaps the seller did not understand the market, either. There may have been no attempt to take advantage.

The buyer appears to be happy. 5 years down the road he may think "boy, did I pay to much." He may still like the guitar and still want to keep it.

Making a federal case out of this will not help the student. It could just be a life lesson.

We have all overpaid for something at some point in our lives.

Let it be.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post
There isn't necessarily theft nor is there necessarily deception. The seller asked a certain price. The buyer agreed to it. It isn't a new guitar with a MAP price, etc. It is a used guitar. It is worth what is agreed to. It may have been
intentionally over priced or perhaps the seller did not understand the market, either. There may have been no attempt to take advantage.

The buyer appears to be happy. 5 years down the road he may think "boy, did I pay to much." He may still like the guitar and still want to keep it.

Making a federal case out of this will not help the student. It could just be a life lesson.

Let it be.
Yep, THIS ^^^^^^^

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 02-22-2019, 12:42 PM

Default from a veteran but not inveterate bumbler —

i suggest measuring twice and sawing once — perhaps find more valuation details? Then act as your self-guidance dictates, your intentions are true.
2020 Martin OM Modern Deluxe
2020 Fender Telecaster
2022 USA Custom Guitar Telecaster
Old 02-22-2019, 12:53 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:

Let it be.
Absolutely not. Taking advantage of someone is wrong on any level.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-22-2019, 01:40 PM

I wouldn't say anything. If he enjoys the guitar and sticks with music the cost of the guitar becomes irrelevant.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:46 PM

Whoever sold the kid the guitar new what they were doing. As such, that money is theirs and the likelihood of him getting it back are nearly nada, el zippo.

You are his music teacher, not his life coach or parent. Telling him could make him hate the guitar he now loves and make him feel stupid to boot. He will find out in time if he stays with the guitar that he got took.

I have been took like this twice in my life, once as a boy and once as a young man. I still remember the kid that ripped me off when I was 9-ish and the other that got me in my 20's. They are hard lessons, but those kind always stay with you.

Had the young man come to you first it would have been on your shoulders to offer guidance. Once a deal has gone down it's too late to intervene IMO.

I have mixed feelings about telling the parents. By telling them, you would reinforce your trustworthiness and honest concern for the welfare of your student. However, if the parents stepped in and intervened in some way it could be a cause of shame for a teenager. They are physically mostly grown but not emotionally or intellectually, even though they might think otherwise.

Telling the kid? No way (IMO). Telling the parents? Possibly. Consider their nature first. Would they blow it off? Would they grab their son and go to confront the seller?

Some things we just have to learn for ourselves.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-22-2019, 01:55 PM

If he was an adult I’d tell him but in this case I’d let the kid enjoy his guitar. I do have to add there was a suggestion to tell him and then publicly shame the seller. This is terrible advice here’s why, that nonsense can escalate things to where you you don’t want to go. I have family in law enforcement and have see that course of action go bad....real bad! Plus you then get people involved outside of those involved in the deal which often backfires. Personally that tack of public shaming is a chicken-poo way to handle a deal like this. For heavens sake it’s an overcharge on a kids guitar.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:

Let it be.
If I posted that I met an old lady who's husband had died and I negotiated a a $1000 dollars for a Somogyi, how many here will condemn me? Probably many will say "Hey, nice one!" Secondhand dealers do this all the time. That $2000 new diamond ring someone bought will lose $ 1500 as soon as they walk out the jeweller's door if he tried sell it back to him.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Absolutely not. Taking advantage of someone is wrong on any level.
I agree TB. While I wouldn't tell the kid, because I can't see that improving the situation, I view the seller as unethical.

Just because something may be legal, doesn't make it right,
Old 02-22-2019, 03:00 PM

This is not an old lady getting ripped off by some slicky-dude. The OP never said it was sold by a store, a lech, OR another teenager. As has been said MYOB. If his/her mom or dad didn't get involved why should anyone else.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darfaz View Post
A student of mine (I'm a schoolteacher, not a guitar teacher) performs in local events. We have talked guitar on various occasions: prices, brands, woods, even saddle material. He recently purchased a used Taylor that is a nice guitar. Since we've talked brands and "deals" he's gotten before, I asked him what he paid for the guitar. It was about 2x new retail price for the model. So my question is, should I say something? Or is ignorance bliss? He really likes the guitar, but the guy totally got swindled. My only reason for saying something would be maybe he had a "trial" period with the guitar and could possibly get his money back.
Because it's a kid you're talking to, I'd keep mum about the price that his parents told him they paid for the guitar. I might say that the price seemed extremely high, and leave it at that - If he asked you what you thought about the deal? Nobody likes being told they were gouged about anything!

Don
Old 02-22-2019, 03:40 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbler View Post
I agree TB. While I wouldn't tell the kid, because I can't see that improving the situation, I view the seller as unethical.

[B]Just because something may be legal, doesn't make it right,[b]
Yep. That's my feelings too. I'd tell the kid's parents though.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-22-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
...... If his/her mom or dad didn't get involved why should anyone else.
If you want to keep talking to this student, do not cross the parents. Someone stated above that maybe the parents paid for the guitar and told him it cost more than it did for any number of reasons. I would stay out of this one.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Tread this ground very carefully. You don't know all the facts and may have entirely the wrong idea. I wouldn't touch it unless invited to.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion