The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-25-2002, 11:31 PM

Default picking technique question

Just a question for all the veterans out there... I've been playing for a while, and realized that my picking technique is just plain sloppy. A friend told me to pick with my wrist instead of my whole arm, which has helped some. But I really want to tighten things us. Does anyone know any exercises that help with this? I'm not necessarily looking for speed... I just want to build up my accuracy. Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to reply.

grateful
Old 03-26-2002, 07:57 AM

Default Re: picking technique question

Quote:
Originally posted by gratefulphish
Just a question for all the veterans out there... I've been playing for a while, and realized that my picking technique is just plain sloppy. A friend told me to pick with my wrist instead of my whole arm, which has helped some. But I really want to tighten things us. Does anyone know any exercises that help with this? I'm not necessarily looking for speed... I just want to build up my accuracy. Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to reply.

grateful
Buy this guy's book. It will answer all of your questions IF you read it and study it carefully. It doesn't look like much of a book, but trust me. It will help you.

http://www.guitarprinciples.com/index.html

If you want to succeed, you should strike out on new paths rather than travel the worn paths of accepted business. John D. Rockefeller

Uncork New York!
Old 03-27-2002, 10:42 AM

I am no expert, but I agree with Guitar Dad that Jamie Andreas' book provides an excellent approach on how to practice. I found some of the drills in the book to be very practical and helpful. Others are kind of out there, but I suppose they are useful. His main message is to relax and play accurately. The drills are designed to achieve those goals.

I think the main solution to your concern is to slow everything way down and use a metronome. Play scales and other drills precisely and it will translate into your playing pieces precisely. The only way to learn to play precisely is to slow it way down and only increase the speed when it gets easy at the slower speed.

I can not remember exactly where I read it, but it was a classical guitar instruction book. The author states that she learns a new piece by playing extremely slowly- for example sets the metronome at 60 beats per minute and plays one note every four beats! Once it is smooth at that speed, she keeps increasing the speed until she is playing at concert speed. Accuarately timing the picking finger and fretting finger is the key to playing accurately and smoothly and that must be ingrained at slow speeds.

Old 03-28-2002, 11:44 PM

Smile do it.......

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill_K

I can not remember exactly where I read it, but it was a classical guitar instruction book. The author states that she learns a new piece by playing extremely slowly- for example sets the metronome at 60 beats per minute and plays one note every four beats!

I suggested this type of thing a long time ago in some post about Limiting Rhythm....got about as much attention as my goony-bird mother-in-law would get at a party at the Pl...........ok , leave it there....

There are many practice techniques that fall under that general umbrella of restricting the rhythm of what you are playing..... and they are insanely effective for developing technical skill, working knowledge of theory, fretboard memory, etc........

that's where that practicing scales post is going.....start with some whole notes....4 beats on a chord tone, 4 beats on a non-chord tone...we've got tension...we resolve it with 4 beats of chord tone again(release of tension ) follow with a silent measure that'll get filled with monstrous licks in no time at all if you start building up the phrase utilizing the basic but powerful concept of rhythmic relatives......
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 03-29-2002, 08:45 AM

Jamie's book is excellent. Study it a while until you get what he's talking about. My playing has improved dramatically from just 6 months ago. Most of his exercises can be done in about 15 minutes, providing you are doing them intently. His website also gives tips for playing blues and electric guitar.

414 LOTF MACE
Big Baby
Tacoma EMC9
Old 03-30-2002, 07:44 PM

I didn't see on the website... does anyone know how much the book costs? I did sign up to get on the guy's mailing list though. So far, I've gotten a couple of helpful tips. Thanks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell