The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-18-2018, 12:55 PM

Default Changing Out White Gotoh Tuners for Grovers on a J-45

Have any of you changed the white button tuners for the Grover tuners like those that come on a J-45 Standard? My question is, to install the Grovers, do you have to drill/enlarge the holes on the headstock? Thanks.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:44 PM

Default Switching tuners

The bottom screw holes from the white button tuners should match the spot for the Grovers. You'll still have the area above each Grover tuner showing the hole and a bit of the footprint from the previous tuners.
Before you do this, a caution...just my opinion , but with Grover tuners I've seen a Gibson acoustic headstock snap just from being knocked over on its back from standing on its side in the case. I have since avoided any type of heavy tuners and have had mine switched to the lighter white button klusen-style tuners.
If you notice now many of the "newer" Martins (and other guitars) are equipped with the nice LIGHT open back tuners....there's wisdom there IMHO.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:53 AM

It would also be a downgrade. The Grover rotomatics frustrate me. I have them on one of my Faiths and wish it had the unbranded equivalent on my other faith.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Old 12-19-2018, 08:18 AM

I wouldn't do that, keep what you've got.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:44 AM

Mking, if you’re going to replace Kluson-style Gotohs with Grover Rotomatics, the holes for the tuner shafts will have to be enlarged. Doing that without chipping the lacquer is more difficult and painstaking than you might expect, and is probably best done by a pro.

whm
Old 12-19-2018, 10:13 AM

Thanks for all the comments.

I'm afraid I wasn't very clear and I apologize. The J-45 I want to purchase currently has the Grovers installed. The guitar came with the white button tuners and the owner changed them out. I want to put the original white tuners back on the guitar.

My concern is if the owner reamed out the holes to accommodate the Grovers, I may not be able to put the originals back on the guitar. Thanks again
Old 12-20-2018, 12:42 AM

Default Church key

Get the vintage-style church key ones! I switched from the grovers right away on my 2011 J45. I love the look and (particularly) the lighter weight. The holes match from the grover to the new sets of klusen style ones, and I only used the 6 screws on the lower part of the gearbox (they matched the former grover screwholes), and left the top 6 undrilled...it didn't need them imo and the less drilling the better.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair